Things I wish I would have known / Disappointment in DL

Not to hijack from the original OP, just wondering, since many people say the OP visited at a 'bad time', I plan to go next year, about the same time-the week before Memorial Day. Will this be a bad time, or was their timing bad because it was the week before the 60th Anniversary festivities were starting?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to hijack from the original OP, just wondering, since many people say the OP visited at a 'bad time', I plan to go next year, about the same time-the week before Memorial Day. Will this be a bad time, or was their timing bad because it was the week before the 60th Anniversary festivities were starting?

Just look out for Grad Night schedules

dweezil78

It was because it was the week before the 60th started. You won't have those problems next year.

Yeah...but that said, there are always a ton of refurbs going on right before summer season kicks off. Usually they're all wrapped up by then, but you never really know. There is a tiny little window of off-season between spring break and Memorial Day weekend so good to stay on top of the refurb schedules when you get closer to the trip.

zjer

I'm a five hour drive to DL and a five hour flight to WDW. I've been going to DL since I was a kid and WDW every year since 2000 and I've come to this conclusion:

The Disneyland Resort is a better theme park experience.
The Walt Disney World Resort is a better vacation.

If I want to fill a couple days by immersing myself in a Disney Theme Park, there is no better bang for my buck than a quick trip to Disneyland. Both DL and DCA knock the socks off any park in WDW (my opinion of course) but themed lodging, transportation, dining, etc is extremely lacking outside of the park. If I want to get away for a week there is no better bang for my buck than Disney World. The diversity of the four parks and two water parks, the transportation system, the resorts and swimming pools, and the Florida sun create a fabulous experience and really allow me to get away and unwind for 7-8 days.

I've done 4-5 days at Disneyland and thought it was too long for the two parks and I've done 4-5 days at Disney World and didn't enjoy cramming my vacation and couldn't unwind and enjoy.

So I've come to my own persona conclusion. 2-3 days is perfect at Disneyland - 7-8 days is perfect at Disney World - and it's the amenities outside the parks themselves that make the difference.

incorrigible

Original Poster
Wow...never expected 3 pages of posts! Thanks for all of your input and helping to put my experience in context.

I think the biggest take-away from this (besides going at a terrible time) is that my expectations were way off, which is kind of what I figured. Over the years, I've developed the impression from reading the boards that DL is much better than WDW, so I had high expectations. While the things that have been said were all true I think (more detail, effects working, etc), I didn't consider there would be downsides (in my opinion anyway) and that the parks would be run differently.

Did you stop by either park's main Guest Relations office, or any of the ten (10!) Guest Relations kiosks staffed at all times in either park?
Yes, we actually stopped at the 2nd one you had pictured. I thought it was weird that WoC was scheduled for 8:30 when the park was scheduled to close at 8pm. Wanted to make sure we wouldn't be waiting in line only to find out nothing was going on. Also asked about the fireworks because we did see some going off around 9:30 from our hotel, but they said it was for a press event and that there were no fireworks...GGRRRRR.

The whole "majority locals" thing can be true on off-peak Sundays when the local AP's flood in, but when you were there on a May weekday the majority of visitors there with you were tourists. There's 20,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of Disneyland for a reason, after all.
Ah! We were trying to figure out how there were SO many school age children there. While I knew there might be ride closures and stuff in preparation for the 60th, I was hoping it would be less crowded due to people waiting to go see it the following week. It wasn't terrible but it was more crowded than I expected. This definitely explains that.

Disneyland operates like a regional theme park and so things like Fireworks only run on weekends during off season. They do make up for it though as their nighttime spectaculars are more numerous and are more expensive operationally than WDW, which needs to run the same schedule every night.

I think the biggest example of not giving DLR a fair shake is the Six Flags comment. Since there is no buffer like at WDW you appeared to dismiss what DLR offers inside the berm. In fact, Disneyland is much more detailed and layered than any park in WDW.

When you say "off season," is this an official designated time? Or just periods when they're more likely to have rides closed for refurb, less crowds, etc.? Are park hours always reduced this time of year? And, from what you said, it sounds like fireworks only occur on the weekends this time of the year; so it wasn't just because of the 60th stuff. Is that right?

I also did a terrible job of providing context for my Six Flags comment. You did a much better job of getting at what I meant by describing it's operation as being like a regional theme park. Didn't mean to imply that the rides or interior of DL was anything like Six Flags...definitely night and day.

As for the early entry, even WDW doesn't open all of the Magic Kingdom on EMH mornings. It is usually only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (and of course Main Street) that are open. So not much change there in comparing it to DL.
Not sure this is true. When we were in WDW 18 mos ago, I'm pretty sure the whole MK was open, but not all the rides. Whenever we go in, we head straight to Frontierland for Splash and Big Thunder. Can anyone confirm this? Just want to make I have accurate expectations whenever we're able to get back to the World.

I loved that characters were out and about more freely than at WDW.
Excellent point! Forgot about this, but we definitely noticed it during our trip. And there was a greater variety of characters than at WDW. This reminded me of my trips to WDW when I was younger.

Animaniac93-98

Not sure this is true. When we were in WDW 18 mos ago, I'm pretty sure the whole MK was open, but not all the rides. Whenever we go in, we head straight to Frontierland for Splash and Big Thunder. Can anyone confirm this? Just want to make I have accurate expectations whenever we're able to get back to the World.

This is what allearsnet says is open during morning EMH:

Magic Kingdom:

Ariel's Grotto
Astro Orbiter
Barnstormer
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Carousel of Progress
Enchanted Tales with Belle
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
"it's a small world"
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway
Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover

Dining Locations
Main Street Bakery
Cheshire Cafe
Gaston's Tavern
Auntie Gravity's

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

At the Magic Kingdom Extra Magic Hours in the morning only Main Street, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland are open (http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/extra-magic-hours.htm). I know there is usually a rope blocking off Liberty Square and Fantasyland during morning EMH and it drops when the park opens to the public, I can't remember about other entrance's as we don't usually enter other ways after EMH. During the Magic Kingdom evening Extra Magic Hours basically the whole park is open (see above link).

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Magic Kingdom:

Ariel's Grotto
Astro Orbiter
Barnstormer
Carousel of Progress
"it's a small world"
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway

Dining Locations
Main Street Bakery
Cheshire Cafe
Gaston's Tavern
Auntie Gravity's

You beat me by a couple minutes, I think I was looking this up while you were posting. :)

incorrigible

Original Poster

Magic Kingdom:

Ariel's Grotto
Astro Orbiter
Barnstormer
Carousel of Progress
"it's a small world"
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway

Dining Locations
Main Street Bakery
Cheshire Cafe
Gaston's Tavern
Auntie Gravity's

Interesting! Glad to know it's changed. But then again, by the time we'll be able to afford to go again, it may be changed again. Appreciate the info.

the-reason14

I can see where you're coming from when you said it felt like going to a six flags park. It sounds very weird, I'm sure, to someone who has gone to DL all their lives and it's their "home" park, and maybe even sounds weird to someone who has been fortunate to go to both all their lives. But for me coming from WDW to DL it was very very different and not in a bad way or good, but just different. I will say that Disneyland has a more laid back feel to it. Everything feels so small in comparison to what I'm used to at WDW, but I thoroughly enjoyed that laid back feel. When we went 6 years ago, we had just spend a week in Disney World the week before, so it was fresh where we came from and what we were used to and we got a different feel at Disneyland. You just have to approach it differently. At WDW, it's very hectic trying to get from park A to park B and see and do as much as possible, and I feel surrounded by people who are doing the same thing and it's just too much at times. But Disneyland feels more local, like a lot of people come after 4pm just to visit for a little bit, kinda like we do at home by going to the mall or something. It's not a vacation destination, but a nice relaxing place that feels nothing like WDW, but holds a charm that is unmatched and still has that magic.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom and six flags in the same sentence? No.

This is the park that invented and defined the modern day theme park industry. The only one created by Walt. If anyone sees comparisons to a Six Flags...then I don't know what the point of Disney even trying is.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I can see where you're coming from when you said it felt like going to a six flags park. It sounds very weird, I'm sure, to someone who has gone to DL all their lives and it's their "home" park, and maybe even sounds weird to someone who has been fortunate to go to both all their lives. But for me coming from WDW to DL it was very very different and not in a bad way or good, but just different. I will say that Disneyland has a more laid back feel to it. Everything feels so small in comparison to what I'm used to at WDW, but I thoroughly enjoyed that laid back feel. When we went 6 years ago, we had just spend a week in Disney World the week before, so it was fresh where we came from and what we were used to and we got a different feel at Disneyland. You just have to approach it differently. At WDW, it's very hectic trying to get from park A to park B and see and do as much as possible, and I feel surrounded by people who are doing the same thing and it's just too much at times. But Disneyland feels more local, like a lot of people come after 4pm just to visit for a little bit, kinda like we do at home by going to the mall or something. It's not a vacation destination, but a nice relaxing place that feels nothing like WDW, but holds a charm that is unmatched and still has that magic.

I also definitely see where the Six Flags comparisons come from, at least regarding guests who are more accustomed to the Magic Kingdom, and it's not a matter of quality so much of scope and presentation.
In Orlando, so much effort is put into the approach to the park's front gate and the reveal of not only the castle, but Main Street itself. Most guests will not have seen the trappings of the everyday world, like gas stations and billboards, for half an hour before they enter.

At Anaheim, there just isn't the same impact because there's no build to the reveal. A guest walking off of Harbor Boulevard is going to turn a corner from all the motels and traffic and immediately be confronted with a smaller version of what she's familiar with at Orlando. If you come from Katella or somewhere to the north, you're also going to be seeing plenty of back-of-the-house as well, especially from the Katella side. At Disneyland, there's less hiding the fact that when you get right down to it, it's just a really, really nice amusement park.
Then there's the fact that everything at Disneyland tends to be a little smaller and a lot closer together than at the Magic Kingdom. To some, this comes off as quaint and historic. To those more familiar with the Magic Kingdom, it's cramped, and there's an inescapable feeling of smallness.

The process is repeated at the end of the day- as soon as you leave the park you're presented with the pickup lane of taxis and Ubercars lined up to leave the park, not a lake.
If you're used to something else, the older, smaller park just doesn't have the same feel, when it comes to scope and overall presentation.

Compare this:

FE9DAGKFHTOF4TF.LARGE.jpg

...to this.

disneyland_view.jpg

Californian Elitist

There is build to the parks. I remember as a kid seeing the Matterhorn from the freeway or seeing the "Disneyland Way" and the Disneyland Exit signs on the freeway. That would send any excited person into a tizzy, I would think.

When it comes down to it, will the build up be most important when one actually enters the parks? If one is in the parks and still thinking about the build up and the fact they saw some hotels and cars before entering the parks, I truly don't know what to say.

SpaceMountain75

I really try to stay neutral in the whole WDW vs DLR debate, as I have so many things that I love about both, but I just can't sit here and listen to Disneyland be railed on like it is. The Florida parks are technically my "home parks" (not for long, see you in 3 days SoCal!) so I will always have a special place in my heart for them, but visiting Disneyland for the first time a couple years ago really blew me away. The whole resort has a very different feel from Florida's, granted, but the "specialness & magic" is the same for me at both. The more times I go to Disneyland Resort, the more I fall in love with it, and I've come to realize a lot on subsequent visits.
1. The escaping the real world mentality is as present in DLR as it is in WDW. Seeing the surroundings around you slowly transform from real world offerings into Disney offerings as you drive down Disney Drive and see this sign is as big a moment for me as crossing Seven Seas Lagoon.
the-sign-says-disneyland.jpg

2. The buildup of the castle and train station is arguably better at Disneyland. Walking through Downtown Disney and out into the wonderful Esplanade as the music loops fill your ears, then looking to your side and seeing the classic Disneyland Train Station fills me with such intense anticipation. I know everyone else might not view this as a good buildup, but I love it.
dl196145.jpg

And let's not forget that the amazing ferry ride across the lagoon is not the only way back. All the people staying on property who don't rent a car have to take the awful bus system, which is far less efficient than Disneyland's way for you to get home or back to the hotel.

I guess what I'm trying to say is both coasts offer amazing experiences, you just have to go in with an open mind and not have expectations for one that the other can't meet. Just love them both for what they are.

George Lucas on a Bench

Many would argue that the construction of DCA, the esplanade, Downtown Disney etc. ruined the buildup of Disneyland. While it may not have been as pleasant seeing a bunch of cars in front of Disneyland, you approached it correctly. The way you are forced to enter the esplanade nowadays ruins the straight-on approach. The approach to WDW MK on the ferryboats is magnificent. But I like that DL is more unassuming.

lazyboy97o

I also definitely see where the Six Flags comparisons come from, at least regarding guests who are more accustomed to the Magic Kingdom, and it's not a matter of quality so much of scope and presentation.
In Orlando, so much effort is put into the approach to the park's front gate and the reveal of not only the castle, but Main Street itself. Most guests will not have seen the trappings of the everyday world, like gas stations and billboards, for half an hour before they enter.

At Anaheim, there just isn't the same impact because there's no build to the reveal. A guest walking off of Harbor Boulevard is going to turn a corner from all the motels and traffic and immediately be confronted with a smaller version of what she's familiar with at Orlando. If you come from Katella or somewhere to the north, you're also going to be seeing plenty of back-of-the-house as well, especially from the Katella side. At Disneyland, there's less hiding the fact that when you get right down to it, it's just a really, really nice amusement park.
Then there's the fact that everything at Disneyland tends to be a little smaller and a lot closer together than at the Magic Kingdom. To some, this comes off as quaint and historic. To those more familiar with the Magic Kingdom, it's cramped, and there's an inescapable feeling of smallness.

The process is repeated at the end of the day- as soon as you leave the park you're presented with the pickup lane of taxis and Ubercars lined up to leave the park, not a lake.
If you're used to something else, the older, smaller park just doesn't have the same feel, when it comes to scope and overall presentation.

Compare this:

FE9DAGKFHTOF4TF.LARGE.jpg

...to this.

disneyland_view.jpg
Most of those who complain about the lack of a "bubble" at the Disneyland Resort start their day at the Magic Kingdom at a bus stop. They never experience any grand reveal on a monorail or ferry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom