they're cutting all the other perks so will they do this?

Goofyernmost

I hate coming to the East Coast and having to wake up even earlier than I normally do while on the vacation. But for me and my family, rope drop is absolutely worth it. You can accomplish a lot in that first hour or two if you make a plan and know where to go.

Different people have different touring styles and different preferences. None is wrong. What works for you might be an absolutely horrible experience for me, and vice versa.
I'm always there early, just not rope drop. I find rushing to get there for it to be a waste of time. I am not trying to say that what you do is wrong, if it is right for you and you enjoy it, by all means. Almost all of my opinions are based on my actions not that of others. If you can hit some of the better attractions before 10am when the rest of humanity shows up, the same thing is accomplished. I too take advantage of the lack of crowds early in the morning and I divide my time for hitting them between early morning and later in the evening.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's included if you're staying at their version of deluxe hotels.
Exactly. I don’t see how people here come up with a “disney CANT do that” response.

Express Passed at universal used to be free when I was a kid. It was literally the same thing as Disney’s paper fastpass system.

I actually find it very odd that disney never charged for FPs BEFORE universal did.

eliza61nyc

Read it again, that is not at all what I said. Actually I said the same thing you just did. Except that even though I can now afford it I find no value in it. You obviously do. And that is fine, but it is a personal decision because it is hard to detail what the attraction is to spend that much for basically the same experience that others are able to experience without paying that much. You are apparently very sensitive to the topic, so perhaps it is better that we just drop it. I have made clear my reasons why I don't find it worth the money. I have not yet been told a reason that might make me change my mind. However, if that is what you want to do, that is your right, I just don't understand it because we all see life through different lenses.
No worries, I don't mind the difference what I never understand is the belief that because we like to stay onsite we are somehow either "brain washed" ( your description) or heavily in debt to do so.
Never understood why it can't be as simple as " we like onsite".
All good, enjoy

plawren2

The point is that by the time the offsite guest arrives, the lines for the headliners will instantly be over 30 minutes and some will be an hour. At every park, every day. It’s a perk by hitting those who can’t take advantage of it.
I know (have 10+ lifetime visits to WDW), my point was that only 1/2 hr does not get one much of an advantage

UNCgolf

The point is that by the time the offsite guest arrives, the lines for the headliners will instantly be over 30 minutes and some will be an hour. At every park, every day. It’s a perk by hitting those who can’t take advantage of it.

It almost functions more as a disincentive to stay off-site than an incentive to stay on-site, although it applies to the same group of people either way. Non-rope droppers aren't really affected regardless.

nickys

Premium Member
I know (have 10+ lifetime visits to WDW), my point was that only 1/2 hr does not get one much of an advantage
Time will tell. Having read Len’s blog post on their testing, 1-2 hours less waiting in line is a win. But only if you’re there ready for the start of the early entry, just like for EMH. Not arriving a few minutes late to the gates.

Imagine waiting say 5, 10 and 20 minutes each for 3 top rides during that half hour early entry, rather than waiting 20, 30 & 40 minutes at normal park opening. That’s 35 minutes waiting vs 90 minutes. And then the knock-on effect on the next group of rides as the offsite guests are queueing for those top rides.

yensid67

MY IDEA:

INTRODUCING The Disney MAXXPASS!

FOR: Disney & Good Neighbor Hotel Guests, and Other Hotel Guests(off site)

COSTS: $40(Disney. GNH); $80(Other Guests)

INCLUDES:

Disney/GNH- Select Extra Hours, 100 Day Dining Reservations, 4 Day Initial Park Reservation, 2 Day Extra Reservation(after 1st Day) Fireworks/Parade VIP Viewing, Fireworks/Parade Dining package discount 20% 8 MAXX PASSES...extra passes- $2.50
Other Guests- 30 Day Dining Reservations, 3 Day Initial Park Reservation, 1 Day Extra Reservation(after 2nd day) No Fireworks/Parade VIP Viewing or Discount 4 MAXX PASSES...extra passes- $3.50

Something to this effect, although pricing is probably a little off!

Daddyoh

so we know there's no more extra magic hours, Fastpass or free magic bands and that Magical Express is on its way out too. so what does Disney do to make paying all that money to stay on WDW property worth it?

will they drop the hammer and bring Fastpass back and only make it available to those staying on-site?

I have to admit thats a hell of a perk and that alone would probably make me and many other people decide to stay in the bubble.

you have to assume they are at least discussing it as a possibility and weighing Maxpass available to everyone (on and off-site) who wants to pay as an alternative revenue idea. I actually think if they go with Maxpass they will eliminate regular Fastpass and it would be a pay only option since it would make things simpler for everyone.
As a DVC Member the Fast Pass for on ground stayers is something that should have been done ages ago. Our perks slowly have been dwindling and frankly it has been coming rather disappointing.

carnini

Very interesting thread and I am sure its the lessening benefits have been talked about so much (no Magical Express, fast passes, etc)
I use to rarely consider staying off site but that has changes the last couple of trips as the benefits to staying on site have gone down.
Our next two trips we are planning both are on site, with no ME, the literally double the price to stay onsite just does not make sense to my family anymore :(

debg32

When are they going to make it worth the money for DVC members? About the only thing DVC members get is 10% discount on dining and it is not all restaurants. When the family bought into the program, there were some perks. DVC members pay a monthly maintenance fee and do not get daily housekeeping. No ticket discounts, no more magic bands, no more magic express, pay for parking if you want to rent a car, no extra hours, etc. I understand they want the one trip visitors, but it would be nice if they did something for DVC members since they are paying something every month. When we go we are there 10 days and spend plenty. We were lucky 2 years ago when we went as we were able to get in on a Magic Night that was only for DVC members but those were few. We just happened to be there when they had it. They need to up their game. In addition, they need to start fixing the rides that have issues. Every time we have been there over the past 5 or 6 years, multiple times rides were down (esp. splash mountain). We have lost out on a lot of fast passes for rides that never were repaired that day. It's definitely not the Disney I first started vacationing at.

Brad Bishop

I think that the reality is:

They've proven that they can sell the parks multiple times a day so why would that leave that freebie (EMHs) on the shelf. You pay for the day. If you want to stay later into the night then you pay again to go at night and the price depends on the party level:
- After hours
- MNSSHP
- MVMCP

They've tried the morning bit and it seemed to be lacking in success (1hr early entry into Fantasyland with breakfast). I think that the reality is that people just don't want to wake up early on vacation. As such, they can throw the resort guests a bone with: "30min early entry". That's all it is.

If they could successfully sell the parks again in the morning then they would. They'd rather have lots of people at $60/head in the park for an hour than give it away for free it just didn't work out because of laziness (not calling the people lazy but it's your vacation - you're not looking to get up at 6AM to get into a park).

I'd bet, eventually, that the 30min EHM morning bit goes away due to lack of interest. If you can't get people in at $60, and it's really not related to the price as you can see from the After Hours bit - people will pay multiple times a day for a Disney park, then you're not going to get them in for free (again, they're sleeping in and, by sleeping in, they're not out anything / no loss of cash). My guess is that this is a polite way to phase it out.

Also: The Bobs (or is it just "The Bob", now) don't like leaving free stuff on the shelf that they could be selling. They very much have the mentality of: "If you want it then you'll buy it." They do not have the mentality of "guest experience" or "long term nostalgia"-dividends. It's all very black and white to them: "Here's something you might like at some price. Do you want it?"

Brad Bishop

There seems to be no advantage at all to staying on property. There is no extra advanced dining times which was a biggie for us. 30 minutes extra admission time is nothing compared to all the checks you have to go through and actually get to a place in the parks where the rides are. Since COVID the staff seem to have become a lot more surly - don't really blame them - but certainly no longer 'magical'.

I'd argue there is:
- Disney theming. You're not going to stay at the Days Inn down the street and have a giant Dalmatian by the stairs.

For some people this is enough.

They only used EMHs, and even the Magical Express, get fill rooms and get people to stay on site. Now? People do that. They have no problems filling rooms (sans COVID) and filling the parks (again, sans COVID). If they reach a point where they are having a hard time with either then some of these perks will come back. If people are lining up to buy the room, anyway, AND you can just sell them the parks again for the evening, why would you give that away?

I think we've reached the tipping point to where these is enough population (and transportation) and it's so hard to build a new park with lawsuits, regulations, and protestors, that it really doesn't matter what Disney does because there will always be enough people lining up at the gates and staying in the hotel rooms.

nickys

Premium Member
When are they going to make it worth the money for DVC members? About the only thing DVC members get is 10% discount on dining and it is not all restaurants. When the family bought into the program, there were some perks. DVC members pay a monthly maintenance fee and do not get daily housekeeping. No ticket discounts, no more magic bands, no more magic express, pay for parking if you want to rent a car, no extra hours, etc. I understand they want the one trip visitors, but it would be nice if they did something for DVC members since they are paying something every month. When we go we are there 10 days and spend plenty. We were lucky 2 years ago when we went as we were able to get in on a Magic Night that was only for DVC members but those were few. We just happened to be there when they had it. They need to up their game. In addition, they need to start fixing the rides that have issues. Every time we have been there over the past 5 or 6 years, multiple times rides were down (esp. splash mountain). We have lost out on a lot of fast passes for rides that never were repaired that day. It's definitely not the Disney I first started vacationing at.
Most of the things you list are gone for everyone, they won’t bring them back just for DVC members. You paid for a timeshare for the duration of the specific resort. If you qualify for the dining discount you also qualify for the Gold AP which is only otherwise available for FL residents. And your maintenance fees pay for the upkeep and running of your resort. Sorry but expecting more is just setting yourself for disappointment.
There’s no parking charge for DVC members, assuming you’re staying at a DVC resort.

George Myers

You are but one individual in a large cross section of people. You may be able to afford to pay that elevated prices without making shambles out of your financial status. There are many that really cannot afford it and are spending money they haven't earned yet and are swimming in debt that they may never get out of.

Yes, it is a good experience and, like yourself, I'm sure there must be some solid reason why people are willing to pay the looonnngg price for what they offer. If it can be done and nothing else goes unpaid or shortchanged then more power to them. In my comments on it, I have been using my personal outlook on what is worth what. Of course, you are allowed to spend your money whatever way you want to spend it. But, excuse the rest of us if we question exactly what makes it worth that much more then surrounding options. If it's the ease of touring, no other independent transportation needed, earlier ability to line up Fastpasses or ADR's. OK, but there is nothing offered there that to me is worth anywhere near the cost. It is indeed a personal thing.

So when referring to brainwashed, I can think of no reason why that isn't valid. What have you determined has made it worthwhile. Disney has been flouting the concept of total immersion since the beginning of Disney itself. They obviously have convinced thousands of people that there is a value in what they charge. Fine... but understand that it is very difficult to see why when one sees the benefit of not spending more than what something is worth to people like me. I am a person that has enjoyed WDW enormously for 38 years with only one trip that included onsite. I apparently did not see the value even after experiencing it and even later years when I could have afforded to if I wanted. I could find no value in being basically an inmate (at least that is what it felt like to me). The bottom line is everything has a reason. People that will spend that much, I don't believe enjoy their experience one iota more then I enjoy mine.
I think the obvious point is that nobody is forcing you to go to Disney. And if you decide to go, where you decide to stay is a matter of choice based on individual preferences. To vilify people who want to stay onsite is rediculus. It is like judging a person based on what kind of car to drive. Personally I have done both. I like the convenience of being in the bubble. If you have limited budget, the choice is to remain with the budget. It is obvious that Disney has raised the bar as to the clientele it is targeting. Disney is a choice for a vacation. It is not a right.

Weather_Lady

It's included if you're staying at their version of deluxe hotels.
Exactly! And you can buy a Universal Annual Pass for nearly the same price as a 4-day ticket.

We buy Universal Annual Passes and only stay at Universal's "premier" hotels (with a 30% discount at annual passholder rates), AND get that unlimited express pass perk -- all for a daily total cost that is about 2/3 of staying at a Disney moderate with parkhopper tickets for the same amount of time (with NO annual pass, and NO touring advantages for passholders or onsite guests). Given that the Universal annual passes cost half what our Disney 5-day tickets do, and that the Unlimited Express Pass benefit alone is worth twice what we pay for the hotel room that entitles us to it, in our case Universal's Unlimited Express pass doesn't feel like an "upcharge" at all.

It's hard not to compare Disney and Universal when it comes to some of these amenities. If Universal can continue to provide all the same perks to passholders and onsite guests that it did pre-COVID, including early park hours and other touring advantages, AND keep their parks and transportation open for hours longer than WDW does daily, AND keep opening more rides to boot, there's no reason Disney can't do the same -- or even attempt to come close to it -- when it's charging its guests exponentially more.

Last edited:

Gonzo1

The Extra Magic Hours program was not eliminated, it was modified and renamed. FastPass has been suspended due to COVID and we have no idea whether it will be back or not.
Raise food prices as well as shorten the menus at numerous "sit down" restaurants and serve food less appealing... just my experience this past January at Belles Castle, as an example.

rio

1/2 hr of early entry is not that much of an advantage, perhaps 2 rides once you take into account walking into park and between attractions, plus if that comes with reduced total hours (and no Fast Pass+) its even less of a benefit

For an extra hour at the Magic Kingdom, I’m usually able to do:

Space Mountain
Buzz
Orbiter or Carousel
Peoplemover

So most of tomorrowland, before everyone is even permitted. This cascades too-HM, BTMRR, Splash are easily doable in the next hour. Also leaves plenty of time for shows or naps in the afternoon. Add in Fastpasses, and MK turns into a day park.

Gonzo1

The Extra Magic Hours program was not eliminated, it was modified and renamed. FastPass has been suspended due to COVID and we have no idea whether it will be back or not.
One MAJOR disappointment for us was the skimming down menus at various "sit down" restaurants in the MK, for example, but yet raise the prices to where sitting at Belles Castle was a $240 bill, without the tip for a average dinner, at best -- that was a major disappointment and quite the surprise.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
One MAJOR disappointment for us was the skimming down menus at various "sit down" restaurants in the MK, for example, but yet raise the prices to where sitting at Belles Castle was a $240 bill, without the tip for a average dinner, at best -- that was a major disappointment and quite the surprise.
You keep complaining about temporary COVID measures and acting as if they're permanent changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom