They Might Be Giants remakes Sherman Bros Song for A Day With Wilbur Robinson

GymLeaderPhil

Original Poster
They Might Be Giants, a popular alternative music experience since 1982, recently released their second children's album through a partnership with Disney Sound. Now in a interview from Cat's Meow Magazine, they've mentioned that they are going to revisit the Sherman Brothers' "Great Big Beautiful Tommorow" for an animated feature based on the book "A Day for Wilbur Robinson".

Walt Disney Feature Animation announced in January that it will produce a CG movie based on the book by William Joyce called A Day With Wilbur Robinson. They are looking at a 2006 release for the project that is being produced by Dorothy McKim. The movie follows one fateful day in the life of a boy-genius who creates a mysterious machine with one fantastic purpose, to recover the lost memory of the past. What he unlocks instead is time itself, and a visit with a future, a family, and a world whose survival all depends upon him.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.tmbg.com/qaCats.html

What projects are you working on now?
F: We just did this amazingly huge remake of a song from the 1964 World Fair called "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" that is going to be in an animated feature based on the book "A Day for Wilbur Robinson." It's totally orchestral with a soprano singing this Theremin-like line behind my vocal. It's really a nutty piece of arrangement.

ogryn

That sounds quite cool actually.

And if it's a big hit, they could replace the CoP version with the new one.

Synergy, folks......... Synergy

;)

GymLeaderPhil

Original Poster
There's the press release Disney spun out in January. Steve Anderson who worked on Brother Bear and The Emperor's New Groove is directing:
http://www.killermovies.com/d/adaywithwilburrobinson/articles/3511.html

I could see the marketing ties in already with the movie and Tommorowland. :drevil:

They Might Be Giants have done a number of Disney related songs, the theme music for Higglytown Heroes and two pieces for Disney's Return to Neverland.

TMBG also contributed a version of "Baroque Hoedown," the main theme and background music to Disney's Electrical Parade at Disney's California Adventure at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA, and the Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade DreamLights! parade at Tokyo Disneyland in Japan. Along with "Baroque Hoedown," another Disney song (which can also be heard in the Electrical Parade) can be heard in within the song: "Very Merry Unbirthday," from Alice in Wonderland. Their version of "Baroque Hoedown" can be found on Disneymania 2.

dxwwf3

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know this was a real group :lol: I just thought it was a made up name of the people that sang the Dr. Evil Theme Song from Austin Powers 2 (My 2nd favorite movie by the way). You know, "Evil. Evil is his one and only name." :lol:

Oh well. Hopefully this new version will be worthwhile.

Gregory

In case you guys still don't know who they are, they are the band that sang the theme song for Malcolm In The Middle (The "You're not the boss of me" song)...

When I heard this, I got really excited- I can't wait to hear it.

Testtrack321

Gregory said:
In case you guys still don't know who they are, they are the band that sang the theme song for Malcolm In The Middle (The "You're not the boss of me" song)...

When I heard this, I got really excited- I can't wait to hear it.

And the theme to The Daily Show...

dxwwf3

Can't say I've ever watched Malcom in the Middle or the Daily Show. It's no secret that I don't watch too many TV programs. My TV watching consists of Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption then we watch Seinfeld reruns and usually the rest of the time I watch TV is for sporting events.

TheOneVader

The Daily Show has got to be the second best late night show in the history of television, second to Conan of course ;)

And I didn't know they made the theme song... That's cool.

CoffeeJedi

GymLeaderPhil said:
They Might Be Giants have done a number of Disney related songs, the theme music for Higglytown Heroes

so THAT'S who pops up singing in the HH opening sequence! The 2 Johns! I've never seen the show, but i caught the intro at the Disney store the other day. I couldn't really hear the music though.
TMBG loves animation, they've appeared on Home Movies on [adult swim] and have done bumpers for Cartoon Network. They also 'jammed' with the Homestarrunner guys and did the music for two of their shorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom