they don't understand......

DisneyPride

I wonder if any of your family members are being critical of you for making WDW your #1 destination every year??? This year I have a trip planned to NY city and Philadelphia in May just so we can go and explore somewhere else. we are looking foward to it but still rather be in WDW. Ofcourse we have to keep our family tradition, therefore we have a WDW week trip scheduled for the fall. Our family does not see the big deal about WDW. They like to go for a couple of days but no more because they have been there so much they don't know what else to do. No imagination......:confused:

Maybe it's the fireworks,or the fictional fantasy of the rides, or sitting infront
of the castle under an umbrella table eating a hot dog or an ice scream. Maybe it's eating in a different country or at a dinner show. Or just sitting in one of the benches infront of China and "watch the people". Maybe it's taking the monorail from MK to Epcot at night and seeing all the buildings lit up. Whatever the "Maybe", for me there is no other place in the world like it. It's a different world in there, a world of make believe and fantasy. Sure I'll enjoy the Empire State Building in NY and Liberty Bell in PHiladelphia, but that is not magical.....:king:

I try to explain this to them, but they don't get it. Do any of you get the same feedback from your friends and family?? What do you tell them?

bsandersjr

I get that mostly from people who either have never been to WDW, or people who have not been there in decades.
I could care less what someone else's opinion is on our chosen vacation destination is.
WDW is where we have been going, 2-3 times a year since 2001, and it is where we will kepp going.

Upvote 0

Uponastar

There are many threads on this subject, because many of us if not most of us, experience exactly what you are talking about.
I think we learn to deal with it by coming here and venting.
Hope it works for you! :)

P.S. - Have a great time in Philly!
Make sure you have a cheesesteak!:slurp:

Upvote 0

Mari annie

Ignorance is Bliss-more for us, right?!!!

:zipit:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSH more fun for us, right?!:dazzle:

8 more days, until our 23* trip to WDW, over the last 5 years, there's been 6 other families who now do their vacations to WDW because of our stories, etc.
THEY LOVE IT!
We do ,too!
We just bought in Orlando area, and my son already has a college he picked out and is going to (he's a junior now) and we all can't wait!
LOVE FL!!!
People who have never gone to WDW and Orlando/FL for vacation don't know what they are missing, alot more than Mickey/Goofy that's for sure (although we do like them)!
We have our favorite stays in St Augustine and The Keys as well!
:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Nicole

All of us here "get it" I bet. But I try to remember that there are things that other people obsess about that just don't matter a bit to me (superbowl, anyone?) and live and let live.

The thing is that sometimes when you love something so much you want others to feel the same way. With Disney fans I think it's almost painful to realize that there are people who don't get it.

Upvote 0

Timmay

It's not that they don't "get it'...only that they "get" something else. Be thankful every day that everyone is not exactly like you or love everything the way you do.

I for one could not spend every vaction at Disney...I love too many different things. I am glad I have been to DC, Las Vegas, Mexico, England and many others. My life is much richer because of it.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

My grandparents, who have never been to WDW, complain all the time that the only place we vacation to is WDW (which is not true; we've vacationed to Atlantic City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc; but we've been to WDW over 20 times). We've been trying to get them to go with us for years so that maybe they can understand why we love it so much.

Upvote 0

DisneyPride

Original Poster
Timmay said:
It's not that they don't "get it'...only that they "get" something else. Be thankful every day that everyone is not exactly like you or love everything the way you do.

I for one could not spend every vaction at Disney...I love too many different things. I am glad I have been to DC, Las Vegas, Mexico, England and many others. My life is much richer because of it.

In my thread I did not want to give the idea that I was trying to persuad people to do as I do. I like being the "Disney Freak" in the family. I do plan to take two vacations every year. One week to Disney and one full week somewhere else in the country. This is just a conversational thread, I really don't lose sleep over this. I do think it's great that you are open to different things. Traveling is money well spent. By the way, I also have been to England. United kingdom in World Showcase that is......:lookaroun

Upvote 0

jesserin

We get teased a good bit - (especially b/c we took our honeymoon there - people that don't get WDW, really don't get that) But all in all - we just keep going back... Every 4 or 5 years my whole family goes (this is the year) but my DH and I always have to stay an extra week b/c they do Disney commando - which is so not our style... it takes us 2 weeks to take it all in b/c we like to relax and not rush the parks (especially this year - with new DD)

The biggest thing I've had people tease us about is the amount of time on one trip that we spend in WDW - our last 3 trips have been between 14 and 16 days - and we haven't left the Disney grounds even once - we park our car and that is the last time we see it until we check out... (in fact last time we had a flat tire when we checked out... who knew?) :) No one seems to understand that taking Disney slow actually can be a relaxing vacation... they see Disney as needing a vacation from your vacation - which is why they can only do it every few years...

I don't try and convince them otherwise - I love meeting people in the parks who love it as much as we do!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Oh yeah, the ones we hear it the most are those who have never been and are under that gross misconception that you can't go to WDW without throwing down $10,000 a week.

We too do other vacations, although, honestly, WDW is by far our most relaxing. We park the car and don't get in until its time to go home. No cooking, no cleaning, no driving, for us its the easiest family vacation.

Upvote 0

d43boy

Oh we get it too!

"You're going AGAIN!?!?" "Good Lord aren't you SICK of the place? What is this, trip #100?!?"

However, we do branch out and take other vacations to other destinations, we just make sure to always have a Disney getaway at least once a year!

Many people ask us, with the money that we spend at Disney on staying on property, flight, food, tickets, keepsakes, etc. Why don't we go to Europe or somewhere more 'exciting'? Ever been asked that?

Well, Europe may be in the works now, but as far as in the past, um, I don't really know the answer! :veryconfu
It's the Disney spell! :lol:

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Been to New York...thought about standing in the line that went around the block for the Empire State Building...but then, waiting 2 hours to ride an elevator up to the top wasn't my idea of fun. Nothing interesting in the queue.

I walk past the Liberty Bell every day...I see Independance Hall...stopped into the Constitution center...even taken the tour bus...

Tall buildings...homeless people...can pretty much see it in a day.

Don't get me wrong...Philadelphia has a lot of history...but I want something more...

fireworks would be nice

Upvote 0

William Marsden

My in-laws can't understand my Disney obsession either. They've never been to WDW but they've been to Disneyland quite a few times (they live in Southern Calif.) I've tried to get them to go to WDW but They have no interest whatsoever. I think that it's a combination of bad memories at Disneyland (chasing after young kids who wander off, the park being crowded) and not really caring for man made attractions. As a matter of fact, I don't think vacations are really important to them. They'd much rather just visit with family then go someplace. At first, I really tried to convince them that they HAD to go. Now, I don't bring it up. I figure that the parks are already crowded enough without bringing relatives who don't want to be there. They still give me a hard time about spending money on an amusement park.

Upvote 0

rsjsimone

I totally understand! My husband keeps saying, " You want to go there again?" My 7yr old son loves it now too so my husband has no choice. Either go or stay home! :) My son has graduated to some of the more intense rides so he had a great time last year! They even played golf a few times so it does break it up a little bit! I went to the Halloween party last year and plan to go on our usual September trip and a special weekend trip in October for the party! I can't get enough! I might even buy an annual pass this year!

Upvote 0

doombuggy dude

Thank goodness for Disney "Freaks"

jesserin said:
We get teased a good bit - (especially b/c we took our honeymoon there - people that don't get WDW, really don't get that) But all in all - we just keep going back... Every 4 or 5 years my whole family goes (this is the year) but my DH and I always have to stay an extra week b/c they do Disney commando - which is so not our style... it takes us 2 weeks to take it all in b/c we like to relax and not rush the parks (especially this year - with new DD)

The biggest thing I've had people tease us about is the amount of time on one trip that we spend in WDW - our last 3 trips have been between 14 and 16 days - and we haven't left the Disney grounds even once - we park our car and that is the last time we see it until we check out... (in fact last time we had a flat tire when we checked out... who knew?) :) No one seems to understand that taking Disney slow actually can be a relaxing vacation... they see Disney as needing a vacation from your vacation - which is why they can only do it every few years...

I don't try and convince them otherwise - I love meeting people in the parks who love it as much as we do!

We also took our honeymoon at WDW. We met a couple of really nice people on the monorail and had a nice talk with them during the ride. They had kids in the park they were going to pick up. They asked us where our kids were and when we said we had none they looked very puzzled. Then we told them we were on our honeymoon. They looked at us like we said we were the greeting committee for the upcoming Martian invasion. They whispered something into each others ear that included the word "Freaks" and got up and moved to the other side of the monorail seat while laughing. It became clear to us at that moment that some people not only don't get it but it is a badge of honor of sorts for them that they don't get it. Thank goodness for all those who do get it!

Upvote 0

William Marsden

"We too do other vacations, although, honestly, WDW is by far our most relaxing. We park the car and don't get in until its time to go home. No cooking, no cleaning, no driving, for us its the easiest family vacation."[/quote]

I don't know if I consider WDW to be "relaxing" exactly. Let's face it, there's alot of walking around, standing in line, and you have to be up before 6:00 a.m. if you want to shower, have breakfast and hop on a bus in order to get to the parks before they open. But you reference my favorite aspect of Disney World. It's a total escape. When you visit a city, most of the people you see are working. When you go to WDW, there are two kinds of people, tourists and cast members. Everyone is either on vacation or they're working to make sure that everyone has a good vacation. Sure, you might run into a rude tourist now and then but for the most part, everyone is happy.

The first time we went to WDW we combined an onsite package with an offsite package. The offsite hotel was a little larger and we were given a rental car, but my wife and I swore we'd always stay onsite after that. The reason was we didn't want to leave the magic. We didn't want to drive, and we really didn't want to leave the perfect enviornment to see Safeways and 7 elevens. Now don't get me wrong, I like 7 elevens but I don't want to see them on vacation. I have to live and work in the real world, I want to vacation in a perfect world and Disney is as close as I can come in this life. My philosophy is "life is hell, but then you go on vacation".

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We get that every time we announce another trip. However, we don't really care, as it is OUR vacation, not theirs...

I am more interested in those that have never visited WDW, yet question are choice, than those who have visited and don't understand our decisions.

I understand that some people just don't feel that connection that we do when your in WDW. I don't understand why those with the means to visit WDW, never do because of pre-concieved notions.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

William Marsden said:
...I have to live and work in the real world, I want to vacation in a perfect world and Disney is as close as I can come in this life. My philosophy is "life is hell, but then you go on vacation".

My thoughts exactly..

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom