Theme vs. "Decoration"

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
This topic is meant to follow similar posts regarding the differences between what defines "theme" and what is merely decoration.

Previous examples include comparing deluxe resorts such as the Yacht Club, with value options like the All-Star properties, the "cartoonification" of MK where spaces once soley devoted to single concepts have become more the same (especially when considering merchandise locations) and so on.

For my own purposes, I'll define "theme" as the collection of items (exterior and interior spaces, and objects, such as food and merch, within) designed to support a signal conept, idea or place in an effort to transport the viewer to said area. A perfect (aka well done) modern example would be The Wizarding World of Harry Potter where all spaces visited take you to the world of that franchise and everything from the food you eat to the things you buy and watch support this. This used to be the model closely followed by Disney, but outside of Carsland or DisneySea, has been slipping of late.

"Decoration", in my view, is just having one of said elements (a prop or exterior, for example) in a poor attempt to imitate theme. The All-Star and Pop Century resorts are not "themed", but merely decorated with props in a way that does not really "transport" you like great themed works do, but tries more to mask the plain features of the buildings. The rooms do not really even attempt this.

I will agree sadly, that MK has been guilty of the second example of this over the last several years. The best examples of true theming in the park are the ones that meet the first definition (like Swiss Family Treehouse, Columbia Harbour House, Splash Mountain, Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise), while the other applies more to Main Street which has great facades covering generic Disney retial outlets. New Fantasyland achieves the former in its own area, but causes issues similar to the second when failing to take into account the areas it immediately is next too (Tangled restrooms) which creates a disjoint that undermines theme.

What are your thoughts?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
A truly masterful themed experience thinks it is real and is unaware that it is a fictional creation.

I like this thought, but would rephrase it to say that it creates the illusion of reality. Even the best of themed spaces still have a funcational purpose of moving crowds or generating revenue, but at the same time will do so in a way that comes across as natural or logical (even if they aren't).

A Disney example would be SFT, where the stairs and room layout allow for practical guest movement, but make sense when viewing the home as a living space for its "residents".

lazyboy97o

I like this thought, but would rephrase it to say that it creates the illusion of reality. Even the best of themed spaces still have a funcational purpose of moving crowds or generating revenue, but at the same time will do so in a way that comes across as natural or logical (even if they aren't).
The place itself acknowledging the illusion breaks down the illusion. It start's the "it's all fake so it's okay" thinking that allows for things like the devolution of Main Street, USA.

Nemo14

I think this is one of my biggest objections to the recent additions to the queue lines at some of the rides. Themed spaces are replaced by decoration that may be related to, but certainly not an integral part of the ride itself.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
The place itself acknowledging the illusion breaks down the illusion. It start's the "it's all fake so it's okay" thinking that allows for things like the devolution of Main Street, USA.

That's not exactly what I meant, my edit makes it clearer I think.

lazyboy97o

I think we're sort of saying the same thing. My point is, if you were somehow able to speak to the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, it would be unaware that it is a theme park attraction. As far as it knows, it is an actual Treehouse built on a tropical island of salvaged materials. This is why I dislike the public use of the term Cast Member. If you were to enter a film or play, the cast would be unaware that they are a cast, they would be the characters not the actors. Similarly, the Cast Members, when interacting with the public, should not acknowledge playing a role.

PUSH

All Star and Pop both are decorated, AoA actually tried to theme the areas, and I think they pulled it off for a value resort. Had AoA been intended to be a moderate, the theme would not have been pulled off.

As for merchandise and food, it's more difficult to theme these things, IMO. Merchandise would be difficult, especially on Main Street, because what's the theme going to be? Old town USA merchandise?? I don't believe that many average visitors would buy much of that. There should be a "generic" store in each park merchandise wise, IMO. Although merchandise should be themed for the most part, in all the different lands. Tomorrowland should have a futuristic theme, etc.

There needs to be generic food in a couple of different places at each park, too. Some people are not adventurous when it comes to food selection, but it should still somewhat be themed (ex: Dole Whip).

Facades, exteriors and interiors of buildings/attractions should all be themed to the proper land obviously.

lazyboy97o

All Star and Pop both are decorated, AoA actually tried to theme the areas, and I think they pulled it off for a value resort. Had AoA been intended to be a moderate, the theme would not have been pulled off.
Price points should not be a barrier. Like Universal is doing, the motel concept itself could have been celebrated.

As for merchandise and food, it's more difficult to theme these things, IMO. Merchandise would be difficult, especially on Main Street, because what's the theme going to be? Old town USA merchandise?? I don't believe that many average visitors would buy much of that. There should be a "generic" store in each park merchandise wise, IMO. Although merchandise should be themed for the most part, in all the different lands. Tomorrowland should have a futuristic theme, etc.
That used to be situation. It worked because Disney did not treat the park's like malls seeking to maximize profit per square foot.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
There needs to be generic food in a couple of different places at each park, too. Some people are not adventurous when it comes to food selection, but it should still somewhat be themed (ex: Dole Whip).

Since at least 3 of MK's lands are still based in America (4 if you include Tomorrowland, which would be realistic), I don't think having non-adventurous food would be an issue, even with theme. You should find something more "exotic" in Adventureland, really.

Main Street could have stores that fit their facades like it used to (and not have a "cinema" that's really a store). It used to have a flower shop, clock shop, tobacco store, magic shop etc. instead of everything being "Disney" store or Disney with departments (like clothes, hats and collectables). The Barber Shop still fits this, actually.

PUSH

Since at least 3 of MK's lands are still based in America (4 if you include Tomorrowland, which would be realistic), I don't think having non-adventurous food would be an issue, even with theme. You should find something more "exotic" in Adventureland, really.

Main Street could have stores that fit their facades like it used to (and not have a "cinema" that's really a store). It used to have a flower shop, clock shop, tobacco store, magic shop etc. instead of everything being "Disney" store or Disney with departments (like clothes, hats and collectables). The Barber Shop still fits this, actually.

I completely agree about the exotic food in Adventureland. And with the non-adventurous foods I was thinking more along the lines of AK. I think MK does a solid job of QS food locations regarding theme aside from Adventureland.

And with Main Street, I kind of tunnel visioned to just the Emporium. Actually I don't think I thought of the right side of the street at all. That side could use some better theming. Especially the theater, the inside definitely does not fit the theme.

Amanda Ross

it is real and is unaware that it is a fictional creation.
2a3.jpg

Tom Morrow

Islands of Adventure is a good example of both theme and decoration. Port of Entry, Seuss Landing, Lost Continent, Wizarding World, and Jurassic Park are all, for the most part, themed to be a specific location (Seuss Landing to a lesser extent, but at least it's cohesive with the idea of Dr. Seuss's creations being materialized on one island).

Then you have Toon Lagoon and Marvel Superhero Island, which are not really portraying specific settings and the props are just decorations.

Or a more specific example: the gift shops in Wizarding World or Jurassic Park are "in theme" with that land, while the gift shops in Marvel Superhero Island are not themed at all.

luv

I always thought that they did a nice job with the Marvel thing. They put you in a comic land. Comics are not 3-D. It's like your walking along comic book pages. The rides, of course, put you into the world of the comic...and there is no arguing that Spider-Man is one of the great rides in Orlando. The queue is good, too.

But I like how the street is as 2-D as possible for real life. I think that theme is carried out very well.

Kids get it immediately. The one and only comic fan I know thought they did a fine job. But I have quibbled over this point before with other people.

I see the other side. I just like to quibble over this issue, I guess.

EOD K9

If you have a Christmas tree, you add nick nacks and it becomes decoration. If you add many trees, some lights, a wreath and a jolly fat guy in a red suit, you have a theme (Christmas).

bethymouse

Interesting argument.;)
Theme to me is the overall experience or the "big idea" around a given "topic".
Decoration to me is just that. It is a poster, picture, plastic plant... like you'd decorate your home. IMHO Disney's resorts are well themed. You get immersed into the place and feel like you're actually there ( such as the POLY). At the POP, the large icons represent the theme of decades past. It's cool to see the Big Wheel in the 70's section or the Hippie Dippie Pool ( well perhaps that is just decoration w/ the flowers).
The parks have well themed "lands" IMHO. I feel like I'm in a fantasy, land of tomorrow ( well not do much anymore sadly:(), in an adventure, but especially in the "wildest ride in the wilderness" w/ the train in the background.:)
AK would be very well themed if it weren't for Dinoland USA ( sorry:().
DHS is ok, but RnRC doesn't fit the theme ( IMHO).
EPCOT is exactly what it was meant to be in Future World ( well at least the way it used to be:(). World Showcase is the best themed area in WDW IMHO because it's the closest you can get to visiting that country w/o actually going there.:D

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Then you have Toon Lagoon and Marvel Superhero Island, which are not really portraying specific settings and the props are just decorations.

I disagree, as I think there is a setting to Marvel and it's a comic book city. The look of the land works from a distance (especially at night), when it's layered and tall flats help to create the "cartoon" look of a city. From street level though, the buildings and surfaces lack the visible detail of other sections of the park and it looks plain when comparing them.

I do think Marvel offers the proper mix of experiences to qualify as themed, it's just more of case of quality concerns. But how do you "theme" a city street anyway? If we were base the land of the look of current Marvel movies, it would look even more generic (like that accounting building in DHS). I think the best thing to do would be to build a realistc city set and then accent it in colours and details to make it more exagerated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom