Theme park tv wars continue!

Captain Obvious

Original Poster
Has anyone seen the latest commercial from Universal where one of the kids says something like "You don't want to be 37 and still having your mommy do your laundry. Nobody wants that." in reference to the Disney Never grow up commercial campaign? I saw it last night during the Olympics and it made me chuckle. I knew what they were referencing. :hilarious: I was trying to find it online but it must be too new to hit youtube yet. These commercial back and forths between Disney and Uni are getting entertaining. First Uni with the "It's time to grow up" campaign, then Disney fires back with "Here, you never have to grow up." And now Uni hammers back with the You'll end up 37 and having mommy doing your laundry spiel. So now the ball is in Disney's court to hit back. I wonder how much further this can go. :hilarious:

Starlight67

I saw that one for Universal last night too! (And I looked for it online too, but couldn't find it.) Not sure if it was the same one but it was something about 'kids grow up' and theme parks needing to as well. Also noticed they used the word magic in reference to the Universal experience--though that word has always seemed to have a particular Disney association.:jawdrop:

Though it obviously would never happen, I think if the two parks united forces on an combo (cost effective) Universal/Disney admission pass it would be a big hit with vacationers in Orlando! :hilarious:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I saw that one for Universal last night too! (And I looked for it online too, but couldn't find it.) Not sure if it was the same one but it was something about 'kids grow up' and theme parks needing to as well. Also noticed they used the word magic in reference to the Universal experience--though that word has always seemed to have a particular Disney association.:jawdrop:

Though it obviously would never happen, I think if the two parks united forces on an combo (cost effective) Universal/Disney admission pass it would be a big hit with vacationers in Orlando! :hilarious:
TWWoHP gives them license to use the term "magic."

Captain Barbossa

Has anyone seen the latest commercial from Universal where one of the kids says something like "You don't want to be 37 and still having your mommy do your laundry. Nobody wants that." in reference to the Disney Never grow up commercial campaign? I saw it last night during the Olympics and it made me chuckle. I knew what they were referencing. :hilarious: I was trying to find it online but it must be too new to hit youtube yet. These commercial back and forths between Disney and Uni are getting entertaining. First Uni with the "It's time to grow up" campaign, then Disney fires back with "Here, you never have to grow up." And now Uni hammers back with the You'll end up 37 and having mommy doing your laundry spiel. So now the ball is in Disney's court to hit back. I wonder how much further this can go. :hilarious:
I've been seeing the same commercials and been thinking the same thing!

GVentola

I'm not a good a sport as some of you seem to be. Universal saying they're more "grown up" than Disney as though that were a good thing (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), or Sea World claiming they're "real" opposed to Disney ticks me off. Besides being a passholder to Disney, I am a passholder to Universal and Sea World as well, and they have plenty of good things they can advertise themselves with without having to put down Disney or the crowd that goes there. I especially hate jokes about older people who still live with their parents, as though that's an unthinkable thing. I'm 46 and still live with my parents and I'm not ashamed of it. I have mental health issues, and it would not be good for me to live alone.

Cmdr_Crimson

Geeze I still remember the days when Six Flags (During the Time Warner Era) Was in spats with Disneyland...Now they don't even mention anything anymore..
COMICAD_six_flags.jpg

It was even to a point how they claim to Be *Snicker* Number 2 in the the Theme Park Industry especially in this ad...

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I don't often see Disney making digs at Universal or even responding. Disney just stays in their lane and continues to dominate.

It's kind of like the Samsung ads poking fun at Apple. Apple just ignores them and continues to make 90%+ of the smartphone profits.

And have 80% of the problems with their smartphones.

Chef Mickey

And have 80% of the problems with their smartphones.
My number was real...your number is made up and false anyway. A couple of software bugs that are already fixed and an isolated battery issue are not big problems. And they didn't even have to recall and discontinue an entire phone like Samsung's Note 7 that blew up...literally.

Didn't seem to impact their last quarter? $88.3B in revenue and $20.1B in profit...in 90 days, both records and both up 13% y/y. This is the most profitable quarter EVER in corporate history. Things are just fine at AAPL, but keep living in your alternate reality.

jloucks

Geeze I still remember the days when Six Flags (During the Time Warner Era) Was in spats with Disneyland...Now they don't even mention anything anymore..

It was even to a point how they claim to Be *Snicker* Number 2 in the the Theme Park Industry especially in this ad...

As a fan of both WDW and Six Flags (and Universal) I can say, in my opinion, Six Flags is competitive with WDW in several ways.

• The admission prices are cheaper
  • The coasters are bigger and more plentiful
  • The lines are shorter
  • Far fewer scooter cutters
  • The travel costs are greatly reduced since there are parks close/closer to many major cities
  • No buses to deal with
Granted, the advantage is mainly costs. But I own a Six Flags season pass and not a WDW season pass for this/these reasons.

I need to mention that, just as with WDW, the Six Flags parks are shifting more to a "pack 'em in like sardines" business model. About 2 years ago it started with Six Flags (a little earlier with WDW). Six Flags took it a step further and has started just flat out closing when inclement weather might otherwise lead to a nice uncrowded park. At least WDW doesn't pull that stunt.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
My number was real...your number is made up and false anyway. A couple of software bugs that are already fixed and an isolated battery issue are not big problems. And they didn't even have to recall and discontinue an entire phone like Samsung's Note 7 that blew up...literally.

Didn't seem to impact their last quarter? $88.3B in revenue and $20.1B in profit...in 90 days, both records and both up 13% y/y. This is the most profitable quarter EVER in corporate history. Things are just fine at AAPL, but keep living in your alternate reality.

That shill for Apple though.

Cmdr_Crimson

As a fan of both WDW and Six Flags (and Universal) I can say, in my opinion, Six Flags is competitive with WDW in several ways.

• The admission prices are cheaper
  • The coasters are bigger and more plentify
  • The lines are shorter
  • Far fewer scooter cutters
  • The travel costs are greatly reduced since there are parks close/closer to many major cities
  • No buses to deal with
Granted, the advantage is mainly costs. But I own a Six Flags season pass and not a WDW season pass for this/these reasons.

I need to mention that, just as with WDW, the Six Flags parks are shifting more to a "pack 'em in like sardines" business model. About 2 years ago it started with Six Flags (a little earlier with WDW). Six Flags took it a step further and has started just flat out closing when inclement weather might otherwise lead to a nice uncrowded park. At least WDW doesn't pull that stunt.

It also depends on what park you go to..My Hometown park Great America has seen a huge boost in crowds due to the offers of the Dining Pass and Season Pass Bring a Friend deals which brings in more..It use to be not like this as was a bit easier to go and spend a full day there...For me now I might spend even 4 hours there before it gets busy...

jloucks

It also depends on what park you go to..My Hometown park Great America has seen a huge boost in crowds due to the offers of the Dining Pass and Season Pass Bring a Friend deals which brings in more..It use to be not like this as was a bit easier to go and spend a full day there...For me now I might spend even 4 hours there before it gets busy...

I had the privilege of visiting your park last year. Rode the Amtrak from Dallas to Chicago in the first class cabin. Got to take a shower on a train lol. I digress. Great America was a very nice park and we enjoyed our visit. My only complaint was they closed XFlight right before we could board, and never reopened it. Ever. The entire trip (we have a season pass so we went twice). The shows were for the most part superior in your park. The acrobat show was amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom