The xbox project....

cmatt

Original Poster
Joystiq:

After being bathed in the dreaded red lights of doom for the second time, one Xbox 360 owner was decidedly unimpressed to learn that his second return would not enjoy the same level of service that the initial one did. Customer support informed him that a recent change in Microsoft policy did away with round-trip shipping boxes -- instead, he would have to provide his own packaging and pay for the shipping to the repair center.

Irked by the policy change, our protagonist saw the opportunity for revenge when he was told of another Microsoft policy. It dictates that when the repairs are completed, the console is sent back to the customer within the same box it arrived in, at Microsoft's expense. Thus, The Big Box Project was born.

"The mission is simple; to raise enough money through donations to send the largest box possible... a shipping container. I want a 40 foot solid steel shipping container with nothing in it but my poor little xbox 360."

The site's creator suggests that if enough Paypal donations come through, the shipping container will be taken on tour, gathering up broken Xbox 360s across the country. Joystiq can't verify what happens to donations, but if you're going to lose money to a scam, at least make sure it's an amusing one.

link : http://www.thebigboxproject.com/

i found it funny anyway :p

cmatt

Original Poster
I would give money, but I need to spend said money on an xbox 360 or Vista

id spend the money on MCE and get the voucher upgrade program, vista will be/is far too buggy if the release candidate is ANYTHING to go by :wave:

NEVER buy a new o's, wait untill the security updates are released and for at least service pack 1.

I get xp pro for free, as its legitimatly through my work :sohappy: but i remember the first version of xp *shudders* :zipit:

that was the most miserable experience - i uninstalled and went back to 98 se :D :eek:

wdwishes2005

I ran Beta 2 for 2 months constantly as my only OS. The only bad thing that happened is some .exe file went insane and took up all my RAM until I crashed. After I fixed that it was fine. I had one of the first copies of XP and I used it to reinstall windows on my computer, and I didn't upgrade to SP1 or 2 until I needed them to install WMP 11.

cmatt

Original Poster
I ran Beta 2 for 2 months constantly as my only OS. The only bad thing that happened is some .exe file went insane and took up all my RAM until I crashed. After I fixed that it was fine. I had one of the first copies of XP and I used it to reinstall windows on my computer, and I didn't upgrade to SP1 or 2 until I needed them to install WMP 11.

nah - i like to wait for a stable release.... i run linux mainly as i prefer it (fedora core 6 atm) for hosting my stuff for work.... it is alot more stable and just - well works :veryconfu if theres something that does a simple bash in of a command and suddenly the app is downloaded and installed :rolleyes:

I think also im a cheap skated - and waiting for a corporate license :wave: :p

I do think your a bit INSANE not installing vital security updates on your machine :eek: , untill you needed the god aweful wmp 11 (winamp pro for me! :sohappy: )

Thought of slipstreaming xp with all the new updates (www.msfnorg.org) that will save you bother when you downgrade from vista to pro :D :eek: ive run every public test release (even at work to test some web based stuff that we didnt know how it would behave in vista)

Id never try and run it as a primary os for the time being :drevil:

UWereTheOne

Hmmm, back to talking about this project, my brother told me about it, and I think it's a great idea. I would've gotten madder at Microsoft for doing this, but I sent my 360 in a few weeks ago, just before they made people have their own boxes. :)

wdwishes2005

nah - i like to wait for a stable release.... i run linux mainly as i prefer it (fedora core 6 atm) for hosting my stuff for work.... it is alot more stable and just - well works :veryconfu if theres something that does a simple bash in of a command and suddenly the app is downloaded and installed :rolleyes:

I think also im a cheap skated - and waiting for a corporate license :wave: :p

I do think your a bit INSANE not installing vital security updates on your machine :eek: , until you needed the god aweful wmp 11 (winamp pro for me! :sohappy: )

Thought of slipstreaming xp with all the new updates (www.msfnorg.org) that will save you bother when you downgrade from vista to pro :D :eek: ive run every public test release (even at work to test some web based stuff that we didnt know how it would behave in vista)

Id never try and run it as a primary os for the time being :drevil:
I really could care less what they saw at that point, I never used this computer to buy anything and the worst they could do was post spam under my name.
As far as winamp, well, it's made by AOL... The first thing I did on my computer was search for AOL and delete anything I found.
As far as stability, yes, I've had Vista lockup, but that's why I have my nice 100 GB XP partition- now at SP2
15 GB linux distro of your choice, I haven't downloaded one successfully yet, stupid comcast losing my packets.
and 160 for Vista.
I could see why you wouldn't want to use Vista at first though.

UWereTheOne

Here's my thought on Vista- when I get a copy free and legally, I will install it. My dad gets bundles of Microsoft software for his store, and with XP we prolly have at least 100 liscenses. So, I'm guessing the next time the bundle thing comes, we'll have Vista in it. Then I'll install it. If it doesn't come for awhile, I'll just wait to install it. I don't really care enough to pay money for it, and I also don't care enough to wait for security updates to come out. If I was to wait for all the security updates to come out before I got an operating system, I would have probably just installed Windows 95 last year...

cmatt

Original Poster
I really could care less what they saw at that point, I never used this computer to buy anything and the worst they could do was post spam under my name.
As far as winamp, well, it's made by AOL... The first thing I did on my computer was search for AOL and delete anything I found.
As far as stability, yes, I've had Vista lockup, but that's why I have my nice 100 GB XP partition- now at SP2
15 GB linux distro of your choice, I haven't downloaded one successfully yet, stupid comcast losing my packets.
and 160 for Vista.
I could see why you wouldn't want to use Vista at first though.

ahhh but its still a bit like sony vegas - agreed its part of aol, but they still dont actually make the software ;)

its not so much the vulnerabilities - few of the updates also improve the performance, and fix what the programmers overlooked when they developed it in the first place.

I have a seperate machine for linux - not a fan of duel booting as it takes too much space up which could be used for music :wave: ;)

If i got the rebate voucher when i bought MCE id of considered vista - but its either the msdn distro or waiting for me.

It also REALLY hated my graphics card :veryconfu nvidia too...

UWereTheOne

But wasn't there a 3rd party driver or something like that that fixed it? I remember you playing CS a day or two after you installed the Beta.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom