The Worlds most dangerous cruise countries/ports.

Tonka's Skipper

Original Poster
This i not intended to scare people for cruising, but is best to have a idea of what is going on in the world cruising countrys/ports.

Best to keep your eyes open and watch around you. Turkey just had a foiled military coup, Egypt has its issues, Venezuela has big economical problems..etc....

The facts are Americans, Canadians and Europeans are always prime targets.

AKK

The world's most dangerous cruise ports
1424899867162.png

By Hristina Byrnes

Published July 26, 2016
Facebook965 Twitter0 Email Print

1468873091458.jpg

The cruises with the most dangerous actiivites (Shutterstock)

Cruise passengers are just like other tourists-- with the exception of their arrival style.

Hiding on a humungous ships as it sails into port on publicly available schedules is impossible. Large groups of people, completely unfamiliar with the area, are on the ground in a matter of minutes. This combination of unavoidable factors could put naive cruise passengers at risk.

Most tourists have trouble-free trips but some become victims of crime when they step off the boat.

There were a total of 29 criminal offenses on-board ships in the first three months of 2016, according to the Department of Transportation, 23 more than the previous three months.

But many crimes occur off the ship.

The majority of them are non-violent muggings but incidents of robberies at gunpoint, sexual assaults, extortion, and murder have been reported by various authorities.

Cruise travelers are seen as easy targets because they usually have some cash, won’t stay in town for long, and don’t speak the local language.

The countries in the following list have been selected based on the Global Peace Index (GPI) from the Institute for Economics and Peace and security reports by the State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security and Bureau of Consular Affairs. Always use caution when traveling, and heed the guidance of your tour group operator.

• 1. Colombia
    1469478577485.jpg

Shutterstock

Colombia is the 17th most dangerous county in the world, according to GPI, but it's also one of the world's most popular cruising destinations with Cartagena located on the country's northern coast.

The South American nation has long had a reputation for high crime rates largely due to gang wars. Bribery, extortion, drug trafficking and theft are some of the bigger concerns for tourists. Insurgent groups are known to set up roadblocks to rob and kidnap travelers.

• 2. Turkey
    1469478716495.jpg

Pixabay

Many of the cruise companies that shceduled stop at any Turkish port have rerouted their ships due to recent terror attacks.

Crime rates are moderate and locals are friendly and hospitable, according to OSAC, but terrorist threats and suicide bombings are a mounting concern.

More than 200 people have been killed over the last year. Just recently, an explosion at Istanbul airport, one of the busiest in Europe, left 45 dead and more than 200 injured.

• 3. Venezuela
    1469478834878.jpg

Shutterstock

Venezuela is one of the top 25 most dangerous countries in the world and recent financial issues have only made it more unstable for locals and visitors.

“Venezuela has remained one of the deadliest countries in the world, as increasing violence and criminal activity resulted in unprecedented levels for 2015,” according to the State Department.

The crime rate is “critical” due to theft, murder, kidnapping, drug trafficking, and disease outbreak threats. Rampant poverty and shortage of basic goods have exacerbated the security situation.

In 2014, a cruise passenger was murdered on Margarita Island, a popular cruise port, during a robbery.

More from The Active Times

15 Summer Cruises That Won’t Break The Bank

World's Best Rivers for Cruises

15 Reasons You Should Never Take a Cruise

Cruise Ship Adventures You Never Knew Existed

• 4. Egypt
    1469478967143.jpg

Shutterstock

Egypt is ranked 22 as the world’s most dangerous country, according to GPI. There are restrictions on photographing certain sites, including the Suez Canal, and police can interpret people’s actions very broadly, according to the State Department. In addition to civilian harrassment, law enforcement officials may also take advantage of forgeiners not used to the local customs.

Civil unrest and sporadic sectarian violence are also a concern. In addition to potential violence, most Nile cruises do not have a doctor on board, which could be devastating during an accident or illness aboard.

• 5. Mexico
    1469479036272.jpg

Shutterstock

Mexico’s crime rate still remains high. “Wrong-place/wrong-time violence is the greatest threat to personal safety, and the risk is as likely in upscale as well as lower-income areas,” OSAC says.

Homicides, assaults and robberies have been major concerns for tourists since the mid 2000s. Certain places, such as Acapulco, have army soldiers deployed to maintain security.

Reports of masked men robbing passengers at gunpoint on their way back to the ship are not uncommon. Mazatlán is a popular cruise port but the crime rate there is very high as well, according to OSAC

• 6. Philippines
    1469479149728.jpg

Shutterstock

Many cruise lines travel to the Philippines, docking at Manila and a few islands of the archipelago.

But crime is a significant concern in urban areas with theft, physical assault and robbery being most common crimes reported to local authorities last year, according to OSAC.

Several militant groups see kidnap-for-ransom as way to fund their operations, and foreigners are often targeted. Crimes related to methamphetamine production and distribution are also a concern.

• 7. Honduras
    1469479267734.jpg

Shutterstock

The level of crime and violence in Honduras remains critically high, although it has declined in the past two years, according to the latest travel warning issued by the State Department.

The country has one of the highest murder rates in the world – in 2012, 20 people a day were killed on average, according to the Violence Observatory at the National Autonomous University. Ten Americans have been killed in the country since January 2014.

SLIDESHOW: Check out more of the world's m

pilka214

I worked for Norwegian back when we had a crewmemeber shot on the streets of Roatan over a cellphone. Between ports like Honduras and Belize i'm amazed the companies continue porting there. It's a real catch 22 because the cruise ships are the primary income for a lot of people there, but it's just not safe for tourism.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I worked for Norwegian back when we had a crewmemeber shot on the streets of Roatan over a cellphone. Between ports like Honduras and Belize i'm amazed the companies continue porting there. It's a real catch 22 because the cruise ships are the primary income for a lot of people there, but it's just not safe for tourism.
I really wanted to go to those two ports, but maybe not anymore o_O

21stamps

I really wanted to go to those two ports, but maybe not anymore o_O
You'll be fine!!! Really the same could happen in the USA. Don't let it frighten you, just be aware of your surroundings. As a cruise passenger, especially if you book excursions, you are at a much lower risk than just a vacation there-- which in itself isn't too dangerous either.

jaklgreen

I never understood why people do this. You go to places like Mexico and you see the women selling their wares trying to support the family and the men are out there robbing and killing the tourists. Basically trying to eliminate the families' means of supporting themselves.

Tonka's Skipper

Original Poster
I never understood why people do this. You go to places like Mexico and you see the women selling their wares trying to support the family and the men are out there robbing and killing the tourists. Basically trying to eliminate the families' means of supporting themselves.

Well I don't believe its about men and women................There are many of both sexes out there working trying to support their families.......The robbing and killing and stealing is about crime and drugs and power..........Gangs want the control and the power. By stopping the tourist trade they starve the poor and get control over them. So much of this is about the drug trade......The hard facts are, anyone using drugs, is part of the problem.

AKK

LongLiveTheKing

Never been on a cruise but it's my understanding this Disney has their own private island for their destination, right? Or is that just for the Caribbean? Doesn't this eliminate the robbery aspect of cruises with ports in ofher countries?

ChuckElias

Never been on a cruise but it's my understanding this Disney has their own private island for their destination, right? Or is that just for the Caribbean? Doesn't this eliminate the robbery aspect of cruises with ports in ofher countries?
Disney does indeed have a private island called Castaway Cay in the Bahamas. But this is only one port of call among dozens that DCL visits. DCL ships visit several islands in the Caribbean, but also visit Alaska, Mexico, Hawaii, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Baltic Sea. So not every Disney cruise visits Castaway Cay, and even those that do visit the private island also stop in other ports.

LongLiveTheKing

Disney does indeed have a private island called Castaway Cay in the Bahamas. But this is only one port of call among dozens that DCL visits. DCL ships visit several islands in the Caribbean, but also visit Alaska, Mexico, Hawaii, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Baltic Sea. So not every Disney cruise visits Castaway Cay, and even those that do visit the private island also stop in other ports.
I like how I was able to ask a question, be totally wrong in my knowledge, get a good response with clarification and not get downvoted into oblivion, unlike reddit.

21stamps

I like how I was able to ask a question, be totally wrong in my knowledge, get a good response with clarification and not get downvoted into oblivion, unlike reddit.
My observations---

On disney message boards the cruise section people tend to be a little more helpful and polite. Don't know why..but it's been my experience.

Ralphlaw

The same reason that some "environmentalists" drive 12 mile per gallon SUVs, live in 7,000 square foot mansions, and put on more jet miles per year than you and I take in a decade. If you want to win a Nobel Peace Prize for your environmentalism, that's how you do it. It's also the same reason some doctors and nurses smoke. And the same reason some clergymen have affairs. But I digress.

For poor people, living within a unified philosophy often takes a backseat to survival. Thus, hawk your wares to the tourists, but steal from them as well. Bite that hand. Burn those fossil fuels. Pollute your lungs. And have that liaison. Face it, we can all be hypocrites, and poverty makes it more understandable.

Pixie VaVoom

My observations---

On disney message boards the cruise section people tend to be a little more helpful and polite. Don't know why..but it's been my experience.

my momma taught me "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

I am sorry to hear about the upturn in crime in Roatan. i have had 2 lovely excursions there and 2 visits to a friendly Canadian missionary who has a shop (a little brown painted building) right on the main street. His parishioners make handcrafts that he sells in the shop and they buy uniforms for Honduran schoolkids with the proceeds. I bought a few lovely necklaces there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom