News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Disstevefan1

They will talk endlessly about the first woman to run the biggest entertainment company in history. Iger gets to say he picked her to succeed him, and as pointed out before, Chapek was the one who put her in her current position, so Iger doesn't get any backlash for cronyism.
Very important. Will she take orders from Iger as he continues to run the company from the sidelines?

BrianLo

Very, very quietly they changed their forward sub guidance. Though I’m sure it’s not entirely unnoticed.

The forward guidance was 5.5-6 million sub ads for Q2 but the claim is now a max of 1.6 were added (from 111.3 on their Q1 report).

Now, granted, in the grand scheme of things it’s not actually bad. Minor sub gains on the back of a 30% price hike being more effectively rolled out is fantastic. But it is a miss of their guidance, which I always thought was somewhat suspect to begin with.

Maybe way too much expectancy on Taylor.

F58847DF-16C1-4773-9BA2-62F380D605F4.jpeg

Edit - maybe that’s all based on sept 30th data. Which is weird, but my bad if that’s the case!

Magenta Panther

Very, very quietly they changed their forward sub guidance. Though I’m sure it’s not entirely unnoticed.

The forward guidance was 5.5-6 million sub ads for Q2 but the claim is now a max of 1.6 were added (from 111.3 on their Q1 report).

Now, granted, in the grand scheme of things it’s not actually bad. Minor sub gains on the back of a 30% price hike being more effectively rolled out is fantastic. But it is a miss of their guidance, which I always thought was somewhat suspect to begin with.

Maybe way too much expectancy on Taylor.

View attachment 777141

Both Elemental and the Mermaid remake were box-office disappointments. I'm surprised they were included in that box office number. Plus, Disney LOST millions last year due to flops. Oh well, shills are gonna shill...

BrianLo

Both Elemental and the Mermaid remake were box-office disappointments. I'm surprised they were included in that box office number. Plus, Disney LOST millions last year due to flops. Oh well, shills are gonna shill...

Elemental is weird, I think Disney has happily reframed it as a success, which it ultimately is. Little Mermaid has the benefit of a slew of under performers. In hindsight it looks good. 😂

the_rich

Elemental is weird, I think Disney has happily reframed it as a success, which it ultimately is. Little Mermaid has the benefit of a slew of under performers. In hindsight it looks good. 😂
Elemental had a terrible opening but it had fantastic legs and definitely was a moderate success. Though I'm sure they were expecting more. Little mermaid also broke even. Now I'm sure they thought they had an Aladdin level hit but it didn't lose money.

BrianLo

The more I think about it, that slide is clearly all fiscal year data and therefore the 112 subs is sept 30th data.

The main reason they did this was to include Way of Water and drop Marvels/Wish. Though it picks up Strange World.

I see what you did there guys….

BrianLo

Elemental had a terrible opening but it had fantastic legs and definitely was a moderate success. Though I'm sure they were expecting more. Little mermaid also broke even. Now I'm sure they thought they had an Aladdin level hit but it didn't lose money.

They were and then they weren’t and then it exceeded that greatly. They definitely wanted more BO in totality, but I think they are quite pleased it swelled and has turned into a Coco level Pixar contender post theatrically. It was a wild ride of expectancy, but post mortem I think they are very, very pleased.

There’s an off chance Elemental could find itself on a parks addition shortlist if it keeps up the next few years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I see is a company that has been floundering to me for the last 3+ years.. going in directions I didn't like.

But now the company has flat out said they were wrong... and have set the markers pointing in directions I like. They still have to execute, but I sure like the outline better than where they were 3yrs ago where they were doubling down on basically everything I didn't like. I still think don't they are ambitious enough with the domestic park product and DVC needs to die... but hopefully there will be creations I want to go see.

If we can just move on from K Kennedy already I think the round up will be complete.

Serpico Jones

What I see is a company that has been floundering to me for the last 3+ years.. going in directions I didn't like.

But now the company has flat out said they were wrong... and have set the markers pointing in directions I like. They still have to execute, but I sure like the outline better than where they were 3yrs ago where they were doubling down on basically everything I didn't like. I still think don't they are ambitious enough with the domestic park product and DVC needs to die... but hopefully there will be creations I want to go see.

If we can just move on from K Kennedy already I think the round up will be complete.
If they were going to remove Kathleen Kennedy they would’ve done that a few weeks ago before the proxy vote, imo.

peng

Peltz will probably be back, guessing he'll bring Elon as his second candidate this time. Musk is talking way too much about disney to not think he's going to do something like that.

Dranth

Peltz will probably be back, guessing he'll bring Elon as his second candidate this time. Musk is talking way too much about disney to not think he's going to do something like that.
I wouldn't put it past him but even he must know that there is a limit to how much of his personal grievances people are going to put up with while his companies are losing money by the truck load. He may be rich enough to not care but he is messing with other people's money at this point.

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we see movement to remove him from Tesla before we see an attempt against Iger.

Eric Graham

Was referring to Fortune's article: Peltz most overrated activist investor...They pressed him in the CNBC interview if he would sell his stake in DIS, but he would not answer. I believe he said he would step back and then come back again if his needs were not being met. He also spoke about some other big company he had his eyes on next, but he wouldn't tell the details of that....

Dan Deesnee

You have zero evidence that he actually wanted that. How would he know what the parks 'were'? He has no foggy-a clue.

When he was (on the board) at Pepsi, what was his big idea? Split up the company. He would waste time during every board meeting talking about nothing but that.

You're caught up on 'restoring magic' just like everyone was caught up on 'Save Disney' 20 years ago. It was BS both times.

Edited clarifying he didn't 'work' at Pepsi, he was a board member.

The "evidence" is literally the website and campaign he's been running on for over a year... I'm not doing the research for you. It's there. Go read it.

Kamikaze

The "evidence" is literally the website and campaign he's been running on for over a year... I'm not doing the research for you. It's there. Go read it.
Do you believe everything anyone says (like a politician)?

Just because you say something doesn't make it true. He was never going to support if his platform was 'cut everything and then take profits'. But since it was 'cut everything except the parks and restore magic by looking at parks spending', you're all in on him.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Just because you say something doesn't make it true. He was never going to support if his platform was 'cut everything and then take profits'. But since it was 'cut everything except the parks and restore magic by looking at parks spending', you're all in on him.
And even then, he wanted the $60B park investment scrutinized to verify that there would be a strong enough ROI - and it's obvious from his true goal (make more money from his investment) that he was never going to support the spending for the planned expansions.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Depends on what the stock does. If the stock rises another 15-20%+, Peltz won't be back. If it stays flat or declines, he will.

Whether or not a successor is at least named by late this year / early next year will also impact whether Peltz or someone else attempts another proxy fight.

Brian

Depends on what the stock does. If the stock rises another 15-20%+, Peltz won't be back. If it stays flat or declines, he will.

Whether or not a successor is at least named by late this year / early next year will also impact whether Peltz or someone else attempts another proxy fight.
I have a feeling that if a successor isn't named this year, @Sirwalterraleigh will be launching a proxy fight himself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom