"The Voice of the Monorail"

monorail_driver

Original Poster
Okay, I have a question that has been bugging me.......

Disney World has many "voices," if you will, from the monorail to the TTA that change with changes. For example, the TTA now announces Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and the "Voice of the Monorail" announces all the new attractions at the theme parks around the "world." My main question is, how long have these people been recording for Disney, and what happens when they're not alive anymore? Does Disney make whole new recordings?? It seems like the voices have stayed the same since I was little, but was there ever another "voice of the monorail" at Disney World??

Second question, while I'm thinking about this topic ... who does the voices of the monorail, and what do they look like? PICTURES ANYONE??

rainfully

Actually, the "voice of the monorail" just changed fairly recently... with new Stitch spiels and such. The voice is similar, but definitely different.

BenS

I think the monorail is on its third voice (at least since my first trip).

When somebody for whatever reason can't/doesn't want to record a new voiceover I think that they use the current one until they need to change something, then they re-record everything using a new person, rather than having multiple voices in a narration.

The only exception to this that I've ever heard is the "please stand clear of the doors" voiceover. That guy (now dead I believe) used to do the entire monorail narration, and when he died they kept just that part (it's a classic line IMO).

stuart

That was Jack Wagner IIRC and he passed on quite a few years ago i think. He was the original so its a nice touch that they ahve kept the "please stand clear of the doors" - a tribute of sorts. Disney spent a lot of money in putting a machine into his home so that if they needed a new announcement he could do it at home and it would be sent down the phone to Disney...again i cant remember all the details but sure it was something like that.

If you arrive into Orlando International the voice in the monorails there is also Jack Wagner - may have changed since last July but not sure.

stuart

That was Jack Wagner IIRC and he passed on quite a few years ago i think. He was the original so its a nice touch that they ahve kept the "please stand clear of the doors" - a tribute of sorts. Disney spent a lot of money in putting a machine into his home so that if they needed a new announcement he could do it at home and it would be sent down the phone to Disney...again i cant remember all the details but sure it was something like that.

If you arrive into Orlando International the voice in the monorails there is also Jack Wagner - may have changed since last July but not sure.

stuart

somehow despite the fact i posted the message once it has come up a couple of times. I cant even get to delete it, so sorry all.

mickey04

Yup, Jack is still the voice of the airport shuttles as well as the "please stand clear of the doors" guy. In addition to the monorail, he did a lot of park announcements in the 70s.

But as the others said, the "voice of the monorail" just changed at the end of last year. I was kinda devestated by it, something about the new guy just isn't right. I guess I'm just used to the guy before him for sentimental reasons. (not sure of his name but he's done it since at least the late 80s/early 90s). I was very sad to hear the new announcer, never mind Stitch. :rolleyes: Well that's progress for ya...

BTW, wasn't the old guy a CM at Epcot or something. I can't remember. I wonder why they didn't try to get him/ he didn't want to record the new version. :veryconfu

dixiegirl

ok now i feel so very stupid....for reading on this site i too found out that jack wagner did the voice for the monorail speal.....now when i thought of jack wagner , i thought of the actor...and i always said to myself " gee maybe i just haven't been on "that" monorail that he did the speal on..." yes ladies and gentlemen..i feel very stupid...now i know. :veryconfu

dixiegirl

can you imagine having him as your father .....i imaging him yelling "please knock it off " but in his monorail voice...tha would be pretty funny..thats knda cool though telling you friends.." oh yeah well my dad does the speal for disney world"

bhg469

then i would have looked silly if i saked the bus driver on my last trip if it was him. the similarity in their voices was SHOCKING.

Edeyore

mickey04 said:
Yup, Jack is still the voice of the airport shuttles as well as the "please stand clear of the doors" guy. In addition to the monorail, he did a lot of park announcements in the 70s.

But as the others said, the "voice of the monorail" just changed at the end of last year. I was kinda devestated by it, something about the new guy just isn't right. I guess I'm just used to the guy before him for sentimental reasons. (not sure of his name but he's done it since at least the late 80s/early 90s). I was very sad to hear the new announcer, never mind Stitch. :rolleyes: Well that's progress for ya...

BTW, wasn't the old guy a CM at Epcot or something. I can't remember. I wonder why they didn't try to get him/ he didn't want to record the new version. :veryconfu

I always thought the voice on the airport shuttle was the same, but I was
never sure, thanks for confirming. That is why in an earlier thread I said that
the airport shuttle, (from the plane to the terminal), makes me feel like I am
in Disney World.

Mimi

dixiegirl said:
can you imagine having him as your father .....i imaging him yelling "please knock it off " but in his monorail voice...tha would be pretty funny..thats knda cool though telling you friends.." oh yeah well my dad does the speal for disney world"

:) :) :lol: :lol:

TheDisneyMagic

As previously said above just at the end of last year the narration changed on the monorail, I was shocked so much the old voice was a big part of our vacations starting (well for me anyway) when I heard that I could really feel at home, after hearing the newer voice I thought a big part of the experience had changed. I think the voice now sounds more like a computer and I do not like it!

Since1976

I've read so little about the second monorail guy. I believe his name was Matt Hanson. He's the voice you hear on one of the more recent Express Monorail mp3s floating around, circa 1998.

Does anyone know when he started doing the spiels?

A SIDE NOTE: Isn't it bizarre how much we identify these spiels with our magical WDW experiences? The phrases we hear on these spiels are so famous among us fans that some have even made their way onto Trading Pins: "Please Stand Clear of the Doors."

MKCustodial

On a similar note, does anyone know who sings "Never Smile at a Crocodile"? :lookaroun I know, it doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but we were talking about Disney voices and all... :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom