The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian

Tigger 68

It is a very far walk to the monorail station and even farther for the bus stop. Taking the monorail for us was even more annoying due to us having a stroller and having to wait for the elevator to get to the second floor. That was really my only complaint about the GFV.

Sleepy mom

It is a very far walk to the monorail station and even farther for the bus stop. Taking the monorail for us was even more annoying due to us having a stroller and having to wait for the elevator to get to the second floor. That was really my only complaint about the GFV.
I was told when I made our reservation that there is an outdoor ramp to get a stroller to the monorail. Is there no ramp? We really don't want to be restricted to an elevator!

Chezman1399

We went there when we bought there and there is no outdoor ramp that I'm aware of, also it's not really that far to the monorail/lobby or didn't seem it to me and my wife, that was one of the things we liked about it. It's about 2/3 of the walk from the main building to the boats. I will say the walk from the boats to VGF does look very long, particularly when tired at night.

It's also shorter and more direct than the walk from Tahiti to the Poly Lobby, 50% of rooms in Kadani to that lobby, and about the same as a walk down Main Street U.S.A.

Of course I've yet to stay there, first trip in November for us, have only visited a few times so I have no clue what it is like when everyone is trying to get on the elevators/monorail in the morning time wise. So I'd trust those that have stayed there and had to make that walk a few days in a row. I just wanted to let you know my experience the couple times I made that walk and give you some points of reference. Also, when I visited I was staying at a room at Kidani that was greater than 1/4 mile away from the lobby and even farther from the bus stop, so that may have skewed my view as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not that long of a walk. About the same as BLT to CR. It's a shorter walk than some of the GF hotel rooms not in the main building.

As far as I know there is not an outdoor ramp. There is a staircase at the end closest to VGF but I'm not sure if it's open for anyone to use or more of an emergency exit. I've never seen anyone use it, but maybe now that VGF is open it will become more popular. I think the only way to the monorail with a stroller would be by elevator in the main building. It's the same way at CR. We stayed at BLT last November and had no issues with waiting for the elevator to get to the monorail with a stroller at CR.

Tigger 68

I was told when I made our reservation that there is an outdoor ramp to get a stroller to the monorail. Is there no ramp? We really don't want to be restricted to an elevator!

No there is not a ramp outside to get to the monorail station. If you have a stroller or wheel chair you need to go inside the main building and use the elevator. I found using the elevator farthest away from the VGF to be easier. The fancier elevator that kinda looks like a birdcage that only goes from level 1 to level 2 is really slow and small. We found it easier and faster to go to the other set of elevators on the opposite side of the lobby to work better.

Also, I have found the walk to be a lot farther then what others are saying. It is definitely farther then the sky bridge from BLT to CR

Sleepy mom

No there is not a ramp outside to get to the monorail station. If you have a stroller or wheel chair you need to go inside the main building and use the elevator. I found using the elevator farthest away from the VGF to be easier. The fancier elevator that kinda looks like a birdcage that only goes from level 1 to level 2 is really slow and small. We found it easier and faster to go to the other set of elevators on the opposite side of the lobby to work better.

Also, I have found the walk to be a lot farther then what others are saying. It is definitely farther then the sky bridge from BLT to CR

I called today and was reassured there is a ramp outside at the grand floridian monorail station. She stated that it is primarily for wheelchair access but is fine to use with a stroller too.

Sleepy mom

I called today and was reassured there is a ramp outside at the grand floridian monorail station. She stated that it is primarily for wheelchair access but is fine to use with a stroller too.
Ugh! So confused:( I really don't mind a walk, goes with the territory, but waiting for an elevator each time we have somewhere to go would be a problem.

Tigger 68

Maybe there is a ramp but I do not recall seeing one. The monorail station is pretty high off the ground and a ramp would have stuck out to me. I do remember a ramp for the bus station though.

journ116

I just got back from a week long stay at the VGF, and here's what I observed in terms of transportation:

1. Walk to resort monorail: 5 min. stroll from our 6th floor room to GF lobby. Remember, you must go inside the main building to the 2nd floor as there is NO other way to get up there. There are 3 sets of steps outside, but they are blocked off…believe me, I checked. There is NO ramp from outside the lobby to monorail deck. Guests with ECV's, wheelchairs, mobility issues, and occupied strollers must use the elevator from the lobby to 2nd floor…and it got busy in the morning hours.

2. Walk to bus stop: 6 min. stroll. There is only 1 pavilion to service all the busses, causing a little confusion as to which bus guests are waiting for. However, a neat feature has been installed: an LCD monitor indicating when the next bus would be arriving! Downside though, this resort does share with other resorts, more or less with Wilderness Lodge. Plan extra time when traveling back from DTD, because it stops at Market Place -> Westside -> Typhoon Lagoon -> Wilderness Lodge -> GF. On Saturday, Feb. 15th, it took us 48 min. to get from Marketplace to GF!!

3. Which route is faster to get to the TTC in order to get to EP: hop resort monorail from GF or walk thru Poly? Walk thru Poly wins! The stroll took us 9 min., and the scenery wasn't too bad. When members of our party tried the monorail from GF, it took 15 min. due to all the other stops it makes first, plus waiting for the monorail itself. However, on the way back from EP, the resort monorail was about the same time as cutting thru the Poly.

Word to the wise: if you're staying at any of the monorail resorts between now and the end of March, be prepared to find alternate transportation to MK, or other monorail resorts, as the monorail servicing MK will be down from 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Mon.-Fri.. We ran into this issue several times during our stay, and easily added 45 min. to our transportation times! TIP for families with strollers or guests with ECV's or wheelchairs staying at GF, VGF, or Poly: utilize the path thru Poly and hop the big ferry over to MK, and vice versa. There are busses running to MK, but it stops at another resort first, typically leaving standing room only. The little boats have a very long wait time as they are NOT running extra boat shuttles…we even had a very adamant CM tell guests in line at MK for the boat shuttle to "hop on the bus, because we will be waiting at least 30 min. between runs!" On the plus side for guests staying at WL: a bigger friendship boat was running much more frequently than ALL other boats!

This is what I know and observed between Feb. 8-15th. Hope any of this helps!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's a decent shot of the monorail station. I believe the stairs on either side are used as an emergency exit. To my knowledge there is no ramp.
img_1177.jpg

Here's a picture of the covered walkway from the monorail station during construction. Gives you some sense of the distance between the station and VGF:
DSC_0606_zpsdbbb4b9c.jpg

Here's 2 more of the completed walkway:
post_DSC_2998_IJFR_1200.jpg

The low building with the red roof to the left of this picture is the same building as the one on the right of the construction picture.
post_DSC_2894_IJFR_1200.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is it possible to walk from GF to Magic Kingdom?
If you don't mind swimming;). I've heard there are gators in that water so you better swim fast.

Seriously, there was a rumor a while back that they were building a bridge over the canal. There is already a path to nowhere on the MK side.

michael.fumc

If you don't mind swimming;). I've heard there are gators in that water so you better swim fast.

Seriously, there was a rumor a while back that they were building a bridge over the canal. There is already a path to nowhere on the MK side.
I wish this would happen, it couldn't be that much longer than BLT, can it?(not really sure), but the walk would be much prettier and you really wouldn't have to cross streets like you do from BLT

michael.fumc

If you look at the google map, it seems to be the same distance from MK to the doors of BLT, as it would be from MK to the sidewalk to no where at GF, so it would be a little longer trek but it would be really nice I would think

stevehousse

There actually was suppose to be a bridge connecting the resort to park.

There is actually a monorail monologue from years ago that talks about it's forthcoming addition, but for some reason, they never followed through...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom