The Twilight Zone: Disney Attractions Edition

Oriolesmagic

Original Poster
Yesterday evening, an absolutely dreadful storm rolled through the Disney property. Winds reached speeds that knocked several people over and made the rain feel like needles against ones skin. We ran through this monsoon to reach Spaceship Earth and reached the entrance to the queue just as lightning struck somewhere very close to us (perhaps even directly above us). Strollers were flying everywhere and people were screaming louder than I was ever aware someone could scream. We got on Spaceship Earth and thought we were clear for a little while. Little did we know, we had only just stepped into...THE TWILIGHT ZONE. (Okay, not really, but bear with me for a little longer)

We board our time machine vehicles and, immediately, things feel a little off. The omnimovers are moving at what can only be described as a crawl. It made the normal speed of SSE look like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster in comparison. We make our way up the initial incline and it becomes clear that things have taken a weird turn inside the geodesic sphere. The screen in front of us remained deathly still for the entirety of the incline and there was absolutely no sound coming from our cars. It was as if we had entered an alternate universe where Dame Judi Dench had ceased to exist and all that remained was the creaking cavemen animatronics and Phoenician alphabet wizards. Right around the beginning of the Roman Empire, lightning strikes once again and all of the lights that lit the proud Roman Empire were snuffed out, leaving us in pitch black darkness. (All except for the screen in front of us, which is just about the only thing that we would have liked to shut off at this point). We expected for the vehicles to stop once the lights turned off, however, the cars pushed on, making an awful grinding noise in the process that led us by a burning Rome scene that was, ironically, not burning. It was this dreadful screeching noise that seemed to shake the cars as much as it shook our spirits. It almost felt like we were part of a Kingdom Keepers event where the villains of the Roman Empire were trying to take over. Regardless, the dark ages finally ended as we moved into the Renaissance Era and the lights were turned back on once again (Once again, more irony). There was still no sound coming from our vehicles which still created a thoroughly eerie vibe throughout the whole of the ride.

We got to the scene in space where you look upon Earth from the stars and there was no Earth to look at! Just a black sphere like our planet had been swallowed by some unholy eclipse. We rotated backwards for our return to Earth (or nothing, in this instance) and we sat in silence throughout the whole of the descent. Having no future with the technology that Siemens (and Dame Judi Dench) happened to know about was oddly upsetting and that was the conclusion of one of the strangest attraction experiences I've ever had at Disney.

Have you all had any strange experiences on a Disney attraction? Something where nothing seems to work (and don't say Expedition: Everest, you cheeky people) and everything feels unbelievably eerie?

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

While on Spaceship Earth, we were greeted with Windows NT loading screen and a Windows Desktop with "Spaceship Earth Utility" and "Vehicle Diagnostics" folders.

I took pictures as the on-board audio didn't work either.

We were given a re-ride.

JIMINYCR

WOW.... too bad you didnt go through a time portal and exited back into the park in a time when there were no crowds, everything was cheap and there were no need for bag checks.
I've never had an experience when nothing worked, but I did have a morning when I got up and went out into the resort grounds and there was absolutely no one around and no sounds of others. It was creepy to have a feeling of being at Disney completely empty of other people. That unfortunately didnt last long.

BiffyClyro

We were teleported into a land where everything was perfect and no one had any (not even a paint chip!) to complain about on a Disney forum. We stepped into this new magical world, looked around at the smiling, greeting faces and screamed a deadly piercing shriek. *Lightnjng strikes, fade to black* DUH DA DUH DERR DUH DA DUH DEERRR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom