The truth, please. What is M:S REALLY like??

mr snrub

quick question about star tours (i really dont feel like making a new thread, im sorry. But since star tours was mentioned...)

was star tours the first ride taht had that system of using a simulator with movie in front of it?

imagineer99

Originally posted by mr snrub
quick question about star tours (i really dont feel like making a new thread, im sorry. But since star tours was mentioned...)

was star tours the first ride taht had that system of using a simulator with movie in front of it?

As far as I know, that is correct.

Walter

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
What I think M:S lacks is its more broad interaction with essence (dreaming/doing). Yes, it's fun - and we get to "experience what the astronauts experience" - - but where's that little bit of inspiration we take with us: man's frontiers - and the fact that...this was all just a dream at one point! I just don't see it.

While the technology is revolutionary and the ride was fun...was Mission Space the best ride I've been on? No...it just doesn't appeal to my liking (humor, warmness, character, "being there" detail, essence). It's just a tad bit "cold" for me. Fun ride...and hopefully, it will draw MASSIVE crowds to EPCOT. . .

I just think there are a couple more steps Disney needs to take in order to make the next E-Ticket. :)

AMEN! That is exactly to a "T" how I feel. As another example, Test Track. Test Track, while enjoyable, is just a huge advertisement for GM. While WoM still mentioned GM, it really had that "How far we've come, and how far we will go" feeling to it.

I wasn't impressed at all with M:S. It's basically a lame simulator ride with a few "launches," which aren't even that great. They're about 1/2 the intensity of RnR, and not as sudden. The launches are more gradual, which makes it even less intense. Just another lame attempt to make a "thrill ride" to appeal to teens. If you don't like Epcot, then don't go! I've been hearing a lot of "Epcot is boring" comments, lately, which REALLY irritates me. Will one more thrill ride make Epcot more appeaing? NO! It just keeps getting worse with each new "thrill ride." Epcot wad PERFECT when it first opened, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! They're turning Epcot into a thrill park, which is the worst possible thing that you could do.

I'm sorry, I went WAY off of topic there, but I was just venting. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh.

CTXRover

Merlin, I was thinking about this post earlier today and I wanted to clarify something. I said don't let yourself get wound up in the hype because you will be letdown by the ride. This made it sound like MS wasn't living up to its hype. What I should have said is that, in my opinion, MS exceeded my expectations based on Disney's few press releases that described the ride. After its opening everyone got so psyched up that the initial reviews were exceptionally glowing, as they should have been. However, these initial reviews came from first-time riders that had no idea of what the ride was and it really did blow them away, including myself. However, now after that we have begun to hear people say, wait a minute, it didn't live up to the hype. This is purely my own opinion, but I think this is a result of the "artifically-created" hype produced by the initial "glowing reviews". Now people are going in expecting even more, such as it being the first "F-ticket". Although I agree with that in some aspects, I can see how that could create expectations that are way too high. It is truly one of Disney's greatest E-tickets, and with so many excellent ones on property already, that is a true feat. I hope that kind of makes sense. I think if you go in expecting Test Track quality you will be blown away, at least I was. :)

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say (it sounds good in my head, but I just can't seem to put it into words :lol: ), let me say this. Take a look at the Attraction Reviews page for MS on this site. Almost all give MS exceptionally high marks, a true indication of how people are feeling about this. And it isn't just here, a Universal-fan site I visit sometimes (AHH, I know, traitor :lol:, please don't hate me, I'm just curious on how the little park down the road is doing sometimes :) ) have forum members raving about this attraction. It is really a super attraction and is my favorite anywhere.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by CTXRover
Merlin, I was thinking about this post earlier today and I wanted to clarify something. I said don't let yourself get wound up in the hype because you will be letdown by the ride. This made it sound like MS wasn't living up to its hype. What I should have said is that, in my opinion, MS exceeded my expectations based on Disney's few press releases that described the ride. After its opening everyone got so psyched up that the initial reviews were exceptionally glowing, as they should have been. However, these initial reviews came from first-time riders that had no idea of what the ride was and it really did blow them away, including myself. However, now after that we have begun to hear people say, wait a minute, it didn't live up to the hype. This is purely my own opinion, but I think this is a result of the "artifically-created" hype produced by the initial "glowing reviews". Now people are going in expecting even more, such as it being the first "F-ticket". Although I agree with that in some aspects, I can see how that could create expectations that are way too high. It is truly one of Disney's greatest E-tickets, and with so many excellent ones on property already, that is a true feat. I hope that kind of makes sense. I think if you go in expecting Test Track quality you will be blown away, at least I was. :)

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say (it sounds good in my head, but I just can't seem to put it into words :lol: ), let me say this. Take a look at the Attraction Reviews page for MS on this site. Almost all give MS exceptionally high marks, a true indication of how people are feeling about this. And it isn't just here, a Universal-fan site I visit sometimes (AHH, I know, traitor :lol:, please don't hate me, I'm just curious on how the little park down the road is doing sometimes :) ) have forum members raving about this attraction. It is really a super attraction and is my favorite anywhere.

Thanks! I think this helps to put it all into perspective (and I think you articulated it quite well). Perhaps I'll make an interesting case study here. By the time I ride it in December I will have heard lots of pros and cons about the attraction. I'll have to post a trip report on how my own perception compares to what I've heard.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Walter
AMEN! That is exactly to a "T" how I feel. As another example, Test Track. Test Track, while enjoyable, is just a huge advertisement for GM. While WoM still mentioned GM, it really had that "How far we've come, and how far we will go" feeling to it.

I wasn't impressed at all with M:S. It's basically a lame simulator ride with a few "launches," which aren't even that great. They're about 1/2 the intensity of RnR, and not as sudden. The launches are more gradual, which makes it even less intense. Just another lame attempt to make a "thrill ride" to appeal to teens. If you don't like Epcot, then don't go! I've been hearing a lot of "Epcot is boring" comments, lately, which REALLY irritates me. Will one more thrill ride make Epcot more appeaing? NO! It just keeps getting worse with each new "thrill ride." Epcot wad PERFECT when it first opened, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! They're turning Epcot into a thrill park, which is the worst possible thing that you could do.

I'm sorry, I went WAY off of topic there, but I was just venting. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh.

Well, I'm not sure if EPCOT was "perfect" before, but it was my favorite theme park...well, up until the 'Kabaret,' 'Motion,' 'Horizons,' and 'Imagination' shows/pavilions were replaced.

There's a way to mix thrill and Disney quality. What does it require, however? Money.

What if...

When choosing their own tomorrow in a brand new, fresh technology version of Horizons, guests had the option of Space, Desert, and Undersea? Well, when the guests press the button, their vehicle is let off at a dock: (1) International Space Training Center, (2) "Soarin' over the Desert, perhaps? (3) Some unknown undersea area. :p

Difference is...the classic ride stays. With it, the full quality, the actual MEANING that EPCOT originally intended to portray, but with significantly increased guests.

Then, "thrill rides" could complement them - perhaps in Mission: Space it's an ACTUAL journey through space? However, for those guests who can't enjoy the thrill rides, there was Horizons...and there's educational, informational Animatronic or animated shows/interactive areas.

Not McDonalds playgrounds.

Let's move next door to Motion. Imagine the option of taking a trip through the history of motion...and perhaps after zooming through the future, postshow options include a high speed tests on HOW cars are tested - or perhaps a trip through a dreamflight? If not, there's always a great post-show with characters and a great vision of the future.

Okay, let's stop imagining.

What I just described is, to me, probably the "ideal" EPCOT pavilions. Keeping with the spirit (humor/quality/warm home-ness/meaning), but only ADDING and improving to the quality and options - - that's as good as it gets.

However, a four minute ride, although fun... I just ask myself, "Where's the beef?" :p

Hank Scorpio

Havent been on it yet, hopefully in a week or so i'll be able to give my opinion...

however, i've heard far more reports saying how awesome it is (for example, how many rides do you hear of where people say that have riden it 20 times in one day? answer: very few) then reports saying that it was crap.

Plus you have to remember that there was so much hype about this, there was no way it could live up to expectiation without actually transporting you on a monorail to the space coast and actually letting you board a shuttle, and then literally taking you into space where a hidden mickey in-print in the moon made you 'ooh' and 'arrr'...

Glasgow

There was a time long ago (pre-1990, before email) when people didn't know everything about everything. All you knew of a new attraction was that it was new and exciting. Now, everyone knows the Gs, the top speed, the weight, every sensation you experience .. basically everything about a ride before they even step on it. You already have full expectations before even seeing it in person

Personally, I'm trying to avoid any and all stories, specs, etc about M:S so that I can judge how much I like the ride for myself, not based on someone else's expectations. I think the waiting and anticipation are part of the fun - probably a reason that I enjoy the ornately designed queues for an attraction (up to a point, of course).

Have fun :)

Walter

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Well, I'm not sure if EPCOT was "perfect" before, but it was my favorite theme park...well, up until the 'Kabaret,' 'Motion,' 'Horizons,' and 'Imagination' shows/pavilions were replaced.

There's a way to mix thrill and Disney quality. What does it require, however? Money.

What if...

When choosing their own tomorrow in a brand new, fresh technology version of Horizons, guests had the option of Space, Desert, and Undersea? Well, when the guests press the button, their vehicle is let off at a dock: (1) International Space Training Center, (2) "Soarin' over the Desert, perhaps? (3) Some unknown undersea area. :p

Difference is...the classic ride stays. With it, the full quality, the actual MEANING that EPCOT originally intended to portray, but with significantly increased guests.

Then, "thrill rides" could complement them - perhaps in Mission: Space it's an ACTUAL journey through space? However, for those guests who can't enjoy the thrill rides, there was Horizons...and there's educational, informational Animatronic or animated shows/interactive areas.

Not McDonalds playgrounds.

Let's move next door to Motion. Imagine the option of taking a trip through the history of motion...and perhaps after zooming through the future, postshow options include a high speed tests on HOW cars are tested - or perhaps a trip through a dreamflight? If not, there's always a great post-show with characters and a great vision of the future.

Okay, let's stop imagining.

What I just described is, to me, probably the "ideal" EPCOT pavilions. Keeping with the spirit (humor/quality/warm home-ness/meaning), but only ADDING and improving to the quality and options - - that's as good as it gets.

However, a four minute ride, although fun... I just ask myself, "Where's the beef?" :p

EXACTLY! Why can't they just do more things like you said? Thrill rides are all fun and good, but why can't they have the other aspect as well? Grizz, YOU should design Epcot! :)

surfsupdon

Yes, I remember when I started a thread concerning M:S not being up to par, many people came out of the woodwork claiming it was not what was initially expected. And those that did like it used a lot more words in defense than actually saying it is the best. They ahve to make themselves actually believe that it is the best, when it maybe is not. I'm sure we will have fun on it though and will enjoy it. I mean, duh.

Favrefire4

Well I have not ridden it but I will throw in my two cents. This ride was well over-hyped. I don't think there can ever be an F-Ticket. The over-hype led people to believe that it was going to be so amazing. But when it wasn't as amazing as the "hype" they said it would be they just said it was crap because they were expecting so much. I think from hearing some stories myself that it is a groundbreaking attraction. It has thrills but your learning at the same time. Was Epcot ever designed to be an E-Ticket park? It was suppose to be the city of tomorrow. E-Tickets, while are fun and good can destroy Epcot! Soon SSE might become some rollercoaster because Disney is losing moneyt o the people down on I-Drive. This will ruin Epcot but Disney thinks it is the only way to revive Epcot. Anyways(sorry about the rambing)Mission:Space is a groundbreaking, amazing ride. It is definately very innovative. I think it is more innovative then many rides out there and many rides that are being built. I think people expected so much from it that it just couldn't deliver to that next level. While its groundbreaking its not groundbreaking for the people who thought it was. Well thats it for my two cents. Thanks for reading.

Kristen5059

Both my brother and I rode MS during our visit to Epcot in August. In fact we went back two more times since the line was not long at all (because no one knew of the soft opening). I think it is fun because they have you play a part (Pilot, Engineer, Commander or NAvigator) and you have to push buttons at certain times so you feel like an astronaut. The ride itself is alot of fun and has some good G's to it. In fact someone had told us they had to knock down the G's they anticipated because the astronauts who tested it out first got sick. Sure wich I could have experienced it before they knocked it down a bit - but I do understand that they want everyone to enjoy. My brother is 18 and said that was his favorite ride this past visit. I am 33 and thought the ride was a lot of fun and sort of like an adventure. Definitely experience it and see what you think.

Pioneer Hall

Mission:Space will give riders something they never experienced before. It is a totally unique experience that no coaster or any other attraction can give you. From Blast off to Landing you will see and experience things you never felt before.

But if you go in expecting to get totally blown away...nothing you experience will wow you (no matter what it is). So go in there expecting something new. But don't go in there expecting to literally go to mars.

Testtrack321

Originally posted by Merlin
Sure it could! That's exactly my point. WHY can't Mission: Space live up to it's billing as "the most revolutionary theme park attraction ever developed

Simply put, everyone will have their idea of the ultamite M:S idea and what they want. I wanted to feel and train for space. I got it. Grizz wanted more warmth and more of an Epcot feel of discovery and leaning, but he unfortuantly didn't get it. Simply put, human imagination is so vast and large that simple brick and morter can't create the ultimate experence.

Passport

I was impressed. And I would like to know what the maximum size a person could be on that ride. There is very little space in the seat, the shoulder restraint came down quite snuggly and that forward panel was way too close to my face for comfort. Not to mention the little pod is closed, dark and there is no way off. I am just hoping the next 100 million Disney spends is on something that everyone can ride without physical restrictions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom