Trip Report The Tractor's out of gas, Nobody tells me nothing

Welcome to our September, 2019 trip report. Our family was in WDW from September 20th - 28th and we had a fabulous time.

Ok...so this trip was supposed to be it. At least for a little while. I mean, we have been going to WDW every year for five years now. It was time to do something else. And in case you haven't noticed, WDW vacations are not cheap. Time to maybe try something a little more affordable.

These were some of the thoughts going around in my head as we embarked on our trip. I had shared with Sara that maybe in the coming years we should take a cruise, or go explore a city, or even relax on a beach. But then this September trip came, and wouldn't you know that Disney Magic did its thing and we had perhaps one of our favorite trips ever. Now as I sit here typing, I can't wait to head back. We haven't officially booked anything just yet so we don't know when that will be, but that decision will be kept for another day. For now, on with the report...

We were pretty busy in the weeks leading up to WDW, so Sara, who normally is packing at least a week in advance, couldn't really start until about two days before out trip. This led to a bit of stress, but of course we got everything together. We have two cats, Oliver and Jasmine, and they both were insistent that they wanted to come with us.

We officially started on Thursday, September 19th when Luke and Makayla returned from school. Sara and I had taken the afternoon to load up our van. We met the kids at the bus stop, but before we hit the road, Makayla had her soccer shots session. We had signed her up for soccer for 8 weeks on Thursdays after school without really thinking through how it would affect our trip. We decided in the end that we would let her play soccer, then leave after. So a bit later than normal, but around 5:15pm we were on our way from York, PA.

We stopped just north of Baltimore for some Chipotle for dinner and a potty break. Then we were back on the road. Since we were leaving later than usual, I made the decision to go around DC on 495 instead of my usually creative detour on 15/17. Thankfully traffic was pretty light. We made our way through Virginia and to our normal stop on the way, the Hampton Inn in Emporia, VA. For some reason, the hotel has a picture of cows with "happy" behind the front desk.

We woke up and ate breakfast the next morning, and then were on our way through NC/SC, and Georgia. We made sure to take breaks along the way for the necessities, like throwing a football around and playing tag.

In Georgia, we hit a bit of rain, and then in front of us we noticed a very faint rainbow.

It shows up even fainter in this photo Sara took than what it did as we were driving. But trust me, it was there. If you start at the green sign and sort of go up and to the left, that's where it was.

We made great time on our trip, and by 4:45 we were entering Florida. We were so excited. We had never made it to the Florida welcome center by 5pm before, and we were finally going to get to try the complimentary orange juice...

WHAT?????

We worked so hard :cry:.

Needless to say, this was a touch disappointing. We still managed to explore a bit.

One thing you will quickly learn about Luke, he typically either has a football or soccer ball with him. He loves to play all sports. That made him super excited for our hotel this year, the All Star Sports. He had been asking to stay there for our last several trips, and this time we were finally doing it.

We left the Florida welcome center and began the absolute longest drive from the Florida border to WDW.

Lyear

Original Poster
There is a very strategically placed Joffrey's stand just as you are leaving TOT, and as we exited around 9am after waking up before 6am, I was definitely in the mood for some Joffrey's. Makayla and I hung around and I got myself an iced coffee, and got some of their giant sticky buns. Definitely a great choice for breakfast.

Luke and Sara had left us for a minute, because Rock N Roller coaster had a 5 minute wait posted, and Luke was interested in trying it. It was his first launch coaster and first coaster with a corkscrew, and he said he really liked it. It was almost as good as his favorite - Expedition Everest.

1576547418696.png

They met Makayla and me in the Disney Jr courtyard, where our plan was to catch an early showing of Ariel. Luke found out there was a sticky bun for him and Sara to split. They were really huuuuge.

1576547516454.png

After the Ariel showing, we had a bit of time before the next Disney Jr show, so we decided to spend a little time in the Star Wars Launch Bay. Some of you will remember, and Makayla certainly did, that she did not enjoy meeting Kylo Ren on our January trip. It was pretty hard to get her into the building, but we assured her that there would be no scary character meet and greets this time. We only got in line to see BB8, both kids' favorite Star Wars character.

1576547666811.png

1576547685224.png

1576547707614.png

One of my favorites. I'm not sure if she was trying to hear BB8 speak or what here.
1576547742940.png

Once we finished up with Star Wars...for the moment...we got in line to see the Disney Jr show. While we were waiting in the standby line, we saw plenty of characters going by.

Vampirina was going out as we were coming in. We're not the biggest Vampirina fans, but we are certainly in the minority on this.

1576547886643.png

Doc McStuffins came out shortly after.

1576547910034.png

And Pluto was heading backstage.

1576547933384.png

Lyear

Original Poster
Luke has definitely hit the age where he doesn't like little kid things anymore. On our first trip to WDW about 4 years ago, he loved the Disney Jr stage show. He has now moved on to riding roller coasters, and sees shows like the Djr stage show as boring. It's a little sad, but I guess it's part of the growing up process. Makayla was excited though, and even did a bit of dancing.

Luke remained all about giving bunny ears when I turned the camera on him.

1576548505638.png

We all loved when the bubbles, snow, and leaves fell from the ceiling.

1576548556311.png

1576548575803.png

1576548595341.png

Stacking leaves on his head.

1576548627584.png

After Disney Jr, we made a trip across the park to Star tours for a fastpass. It remained a ride we all enjoyed. Still to come, our most memorable show of the day.

Lyear

Original Poster
I had to laugh over that Disney Jr. Dance Party. The kids weren't dancing -- they were all jumping?! (Perhaps that's the latest dance move?) :hilarious:

I didn't notice that at the time, but that's true when watching the video. A lack of dance training on the part of moms and dads out there? 🙂

Lyear

Original Poster
Our next fastpass was at the Indiana Jones show. We had liked the show last time, but the use of a fastpass on it was solely due to a lack of other options. :)

We got to the show early enough, and I decided that I wanted to do my best to get picked to be one of the extras. Sara was on board with this. There was also a woman in front of us who had been to WDW a couple times and overheard our conversation. She had either a son or a son-in-law, I can't remember which, who must have been picked for the show before and she was giving me suggestions on how to stand out. Sure enough, I was the second one picked.

Sara was great enough to be able to video my scenes while also watching two kids. They were both super excited to have me on stage. It was a super fun experience to get to be on stage and be part of the action. So...what did I learn.

Number one, it is extremely, extremely, hard to hear on stage. All the speakers must be pointed to the crowd. I got picked to do "Bob's death scene," and when the director was speaking to me I was only picking up every second or third word he was saying. I think I did ok ultimately.

Second, our director/leader of the extras was great. She was very friendly throughout and she made sure we knew what was going on. Everyone we interacted with was great and friendly.

Finally, the explosions and gunshots are very loud on stage. Our leader made sure we knew when to cover our ears, and made sure to point out it was very important we did it. The explosions are also hot.

It was a lot of fun to be able to see things happen up close, and certainly something I'll remember for a long time.

Lyear

Original Poster
Following the Indy show, it was time for lunch. We gave Luke and Makayla a few options on where to eat, and they each wanted to go back to Pizzerizzo and play with the hula hoops. Sara and I weren't thrilled, but they were so excited we couldn't say no.

1577927918317.png

We ended up getting the same meals as we did on our first day as well. I know these counter service pizza places sometimes get some flack. Admittedly, they don't serve the best pizza in the world, but I feel like it tastes fine and I'm always willing to head here. The kids had a great time as well.

We couldn't stay as long as we did on our first day because we had a fastpass window closing for Slinky Dog. We found the exit and walked back through Galaxy's Edge and into Toy Story Land.

Characters were out in force while we were there.

1577928183938.png

1577928229146.png

1577928206701.png

I can't locate our ride photo on slinky dog, so you'll have to take my word for it that we rode it ;). Makayla is definitely a fan of this one.

Once we got done here, we let the kids know that we were going to head back to our hotel. We had been up since before 6am, and it was definitely time for a nap 😴. They didn't really like our plan, but despite their strongest arguments, Sara and I were unpersuaded.

We split up, with Makayla and I walking back through Galaxy's edge to retrieve our stroller, and Sara took Luke up to see One Man's dream. We haven't done this since we have gone with our kids, and Luke was not quite old enough to appreciate what he was seeing. He thought it was pretty boring.

They left the museum and met us at the entrance, and we returned to All Star Sports for our afternoon nap.

Lyear

Original Poster
When we woke up, it was time to do some laundry, and go for a swim. I took our clothes to the laundry room and then came back and got ready for the pool.

We were able to spend some good time at the pool this afternoon. Sara joined us a little bit after the kids and I initially arrived, and then watched them while I went back to the laundry room to change our clothes from the washer to the dryer.

1577928776452.png

When we were done swimming, Sara took Makayla directly back to our room, and Luke stayed with me and kept me company while I got the clothes out of the dryers. We then went back and got prepped for our evening at the resort.

One thing Luke had been asking to do since we had arrived was to play sports on the football field we crossed over everyday on our way to the bus stop. He was so excited that this was the time.

1577929095137.png

1577929127131.png

Soccer and football are his sports of choice, although this winter we signed him up for basketball and he is really liking it.

Following our play time on the field, we went to the food court and got way too much food. Luke got mac and cheese (his favorite), Makayla got pizza. Sara got a huge slice of pizza (no idea it was this big) and breadsticks, and I got a veggie burger. Unfortunately, not all of this was eaten.

1577929244802.png

We finished the night by spending some time in the parade (another kid favorite) and taking some lobby photos.

1577929302061.png

1577929315190.png

1577929333455.png

1577929364315.png

1577929376163.png

1577929392034.png

We went back towards our room, where I put away laundry while we all got ready for bed at a decent hour. The next day was another full one, including a visit off-site to the Disney outlet store, time in Disney Springs, and our first visit to Animal Kingdom.

Lyear

Original Poster
Our Wednesday started out in very stark contrast to our Tuesday. Tuesday we were up and out the door before the sunrise, and this day we slept in until almost 9am. Our day started by getting into the car and heading to the Disney Outlet Store, which is about a 5-10 minute drive off WDW property.

We found the outlet center without too much trouble, and started our trek towards the Disney store.

1578273606131.png

The walk included a trek through the food court, where a vendor had a display set up with toys. It was full of all the loud, light up, spinning around toys, so of course our children were drawn to it. I stayed with them to browse a bit while Sara continued her drive to the store. When we finally got ourselves away from the display, we found Sara standing in this line...

1578273719331.png

Yes, it was a gigantic line...just to get into the store. I took one look and immediately said there was no way I was doing it. The kids and I ended up walking around and perusing some other stores while Sara stood in line for about 30 minutes to get in.

We hit up a candy store, which I always love, and got overloaded on sugary gummy bears and gummy worms. We then walked by a display where the worker was throwing little splat balls against a wall, and our kids loved it. I told them they could get them before I realized the price tag was $7.00. Yes, this was a total rip off. Makayla's broke within 48 hours.

Sara had finally finished her shopping and we met back up with her. Makayla was very happy that she had gotten her a Goose doll from Captain Marvel. Goose is hands down Makayla's favorite character in the MCU.

1578273933480.png

After finishing up, we drove over to Disney Springs. We started off at a small soccer store, where Luke really wanted to get a new soccer ball. He was looking for a size 4, which is the size he plays with, and mostly what they had available was the adult size 5, so it took a while but we eventually found one for him. We then made our way over the bridge to the Marketplace area, where we were set to have dinner at T Rex.

1578274058387.png

We were seated with very little wait. We had eaten here on our last trip and found ourselves in the jungle area when we were super tired from a long day of driving. This day we were much more awake, and were seated in the volcano section, right next to the kitchen of fire.

1578274133679.png

1578274157698.png

We liked the volcano area, the the kids were a little upset that the ice cave continued to elude us. We got to look into it this time though. This restaurant really is massive.

1578274195161.png

Last time, the Luke and Makayla, especially Makayla, were a little scared of the storm light and sound effects that come through about every 20 minutes. This time both were really into it and enjoyed it when it came around. It made the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Lyear

Original Poster
For our meal, Luke got the Mac and Cheese and Makayla had the cheese pizza. Sara and I each got a Beyond meat veggie burger. Sara got some type of lemonade that came in a light up cup, and I had an amber lager that was local to Florida. I can't remember the name of it right now. It was good though.

1578274443859.png

1578274459289.png

1578274474632.png

Sara's light up glass, which was collectible and we still have

1578274505934.png

We each thought the beyond meat burger was good, even though Sara couldn't quite finish all of hers. Luke really enjoyed his mac and cheese, and Makayla even ate a good bit of her pizza.

1578274615971.png

Luke and Makayla got a dirt dessert with gummy dinos with their kids meal...yum yum. Just the type of thing they love.

1578274679090.png

Sara chose a slice of chocolate cake for her and me to split, which if I remember right, was eaten mostly by her. ;)

We had a great time at T Rex and definitely will be back here again. On the way out we stopped to look at dinos and giant insects and then spent some time in the gift shop. Yes, Goose came in the restaurant with us.

1578274934799.png

She thought this one was very cute.

1578274960959.png

Lyear

Original Poster
When we left, we made our way over to the lego store which was right next door. They had a race track which Luke loved. You build a car and then line it up, and there is a worker there overseeing it who will start the race when there are enough cars there. Luke built one over and over again. The only downside is that there is a severe lack of wheels, so when there's a lot of kids it can be nearly impossible to find pieces to build your car. That aside, I'm pretty sure Luke would have stayed here the majority of the afternoon if we would have let him.

1578275128022.png

1578275145621.png

Makayla wasn't as into the legos as her brother, but she spent some time building at the duplo table. She was trying to make her own car, but was upset when she learned it wouldn't be able to race because it didn't have wheels :).

1578275213295.png

1578275238319.png

After the lego store, we went to World of Disney, and I will not bore you with all the shopping excitement we had.

1578275293134.png

The kids did buy new ear hats which they loved. And by loved, I mean wore for more than 30 minutes before deciding to take them off an not put them back on for the rest of the trip ;). I'm not sure what is going on with Luke's face here.

1578275367486.png

And of course we said hi to Buzz.

1578275397377.png

After this we went to the Christmas store and picked up our Christmas ornament for the year. The kids had a say in it. They love the Disney Ichabod Crane cartoon.

1578275471503.png

Lyear

Original Poster
Sara had to go to a different store to get a bracelet she wanted, so I took Luke and Makayla over to the little fountain to have some fun.

1578275562545.png

1578275575518.png

1578275597188.png

1578275647025.png

After a bit, we met up with Sara again. Luke really, really wanted to do the Lego raceway again, so we stopped there quickly on our way out. Normally, I would be fine with him spending more time here since he was really enjoying it. Unfortunately, our first fastpass of the day was quickly approaching at Animal Kingdom and I wanted to make sure we got there with enough time to use it. This time, both he and Makayla built a race car. Makayla had a bit of help from me. Unfortunately, in the race, Luke's car jumped out to an early lead, only to be taken out by Makayla's which was going downhill with a major turn and crashed into Luke's, causing both of them to lose. Needless to say, a competitive kid like Luke was not happy at all.

We corralled them out of there, and Luke's attitude did get better shortly after we left. Once we got back to the car, we did take a bit of a wrong turn getting out of the parking garage and got a little turned around. Not exactly what I was hoping for when we were running so close to our fastpass window. We got it figured out and back to our hotel, where we quickly dropped off our stuff and made our way down to the bus stop for a bus to Animal Kingdom.

MickeyCB

I love how you take time with your kids and do "kid stuff"! Playing with legos, jumping in water fountains, etc.
We did some, but probably not nearly enough of that kind of down time at Disney when my kids were little.

riverside

I heard you saying(on the video--that was pretty cool BTW!) that you're from York. I used to go there 2/3 times a year for probably a good 10 years for work. Anyhow, did you ever eat at Coombs Tavern? It's on Pennsylvania Avenue. Their food was great!! We ate there usually twice each trip. I miss going there!!

Lyear

Original Poster
I love how you take time with your kids and do "kid stuff"! Playing with legos, jumping in water fountains, etc.
We did some, but probably not nearly enough of that kind of down time at Disney when my kids were little.

Thank you MickeyCB. We try to do our best. I'm not sure we do that type of thing anymore than any other family, but it does make great memories. I've realized that a lot of the best memories we have as a family are in the down times. It's hard to slow down in the moment, but it makes great memories.

I heard you saying(on the video--that was pretty cool BTW!) that you're from York. I used to go there 2/3 times a year for probably a good 10 years for work. Anyhow, did you ever eat at Coombs Tavern? It's on Pennsylvania Avenue. Their food was great!! We ate there usually twice each trip. I miss going there!!

Yes, I'm not born and bred, but have lived in York for almost 15 years now. Sara grew up in York. I'm not familiar with Coombs Tavern. We don't eat at a lot of places downtown because it can be hard to find vegetarian food there, but we have some places we go to. Probably not as much as we should. I agree there's a lot of good places there. Maybe you'll find yourself coming back soon.

Lyear

Original Poster
We got the bus to Animal Kingdom, then made our way into the park. Our first fastpass was for Flight of Passage, and we were within our return time when we entered the park, but not so much that we had to rush. We started off by finding the kids' favorite bridge. Every year we come here we check out this bridge which is just before the entrance to Discovery Island.

1579658183724.png

We went into Discovery Island and made the quick left into Pandora. There was a photopass photographer set up with a Lion King backdrop so we got in what was a pretty short line (at least shorter than I thought it might have been).

1579658253838.png

We went into Pandora and found our way to the Flight of Passage entrance. This was my first time being over here. Makayla didn't quite make the height requirement, so we had to do rider swap. We went to the entrance to do this, but they sent us over to a set of 2 cast members who were under an umbrella with Ipads. Once we got to the right place, the rider swap was pretty easy. We decided that Luke and Sara would go first, while I hung out with Makayla.

Some of Sara's photos from the line.

1579658443402.png

1579658455754.png

Luke getting ready...

1579658475106.png

While Sara and Luke took their first ride on Flight of Passage, Makayla and I made our way into Africa, and over to the jungle trek. This ended up being a mistake. I completely misjudged just how far of a walk it is just to make it to Africa. It looks so short on the map! ;)

1579658893916.png

Anyway, we made our way there, then through Africa to the jungle trek. Even as we were getting there, I realized it was a near certainty that Sara and Luke were going to be waiting for us after their ride. I texted Sara to let her know what we were up to, not sure if she would be getting messages where she was or not. We made our way through the trail, with me doing my best to keep us moving. I made sure that we got to stop and see the different animals, but not to wait at any one station too long. When we got the the gorilla enclosure, we didn't see any of them, and turns out they were towards the back of their area, which you could only see from the next bridge. We got to see them a little, but Makayla remembered seeing them through the glass on our last visit, so this was a little disappointing. We finished up our quick tour of the jungle trek and headed for the exit, and then back into Pandora. At this point, Sara had texted me that Luke and her were finished. I tried to go as fast as I could, sometimes carrying Makayla, and sometimes with her walking beside me.

We met up with Sara and Luke near the Flight of Passage entrance, and Luke said that he really enjoyed the ride. We switched up and it was my turn to ride with Luke. Again, it was my first time, and I had made a point to not watch this online as I wanted to have it be totally new. Luke became a great guide as he was letting me know exactly what to expect as we were scanned for viruses and prepared for our avatar experience. He made sure to let me know that the seatbelt would tickle your belly as it tightened. Then, it was on. We had a great time as we whirled around the different scenes from Pandora, and we had a great time. I enjoyed the ride and thought it was well done. I will say...I probably had one too many people tell me how great this ride was before I rode it. I thought it was a really fun ride, but my expectation was for something earth shattering. FOP was great, but I was slightly let down by that high expectation. It was an enhanced version of Soarin, in my opinion, and I love Soarin.

Once we had finished, Luke led me out to the exit. Sara and Makayla had already made their way over to our next fastpass at Dinosaur. Our window was already closing with our 2 rides on FOP and Makayla and my long trek to Africa.

Makayla loves dinosaurs, so she was more than happy to hang out here while waiting for us.

1579659302933.png

1579659329288.png

1579659362228.png

Makayla especially knew what to expect this time on Dinosaur, and to her credit she was willing to get on it again after our first time when she was pretty scared during the ride. She didn't need me to hold her this time, but she was sure to keep a firm grasp on my arm throughout.

1579659443755.png

Lyear

Original Poster
After dinosaur, we spent some time at the Boneyard playground. This was our first experience here where both our kids were old enough that they could go and play on their own. Makayla had always needed assistance before. Now, she was just like a big kid. :) Luke and Makayla went off and enjoyed the playground, while Sara and I enjoyed sitting for a bit!

1579659567580.png

1579659633389.png

1579659656085.png

Our day was going really fast, and before long it was time for our final fastpass on Expedition Everest. We decided that Luke and I would tackle the mountain first. Sara took Makayla over to Kali River Rapids while we rode Everest.

1579659804829.png

Everest quickly became Luke's favorite coaster again. He was screaming "Let's Go" all the way through the ride :). We had a great time, and as we were exiting into the gift shop, we got a text from Sara that she was just getting to Kali and that we could go again, if I thought my stomach could handle it.

So a little backstory here. I've always been prone to motion sickness, and it's gotten slightly worse as I've gotten older. So I do my best to take everything in moderation. There's been plenty of times where I've made Luke upset by sitting out repeat rides at amusement parks in order to preserve my stomach. But here tonight, after one trip on Everest, I was feeling really good. Like, my stomach wasn't an issue at all. So Luke and I decided to jump in the standby line, which was really a walk on at this point.

It was when we went backwards through the long turn that I realized I probably made a mistake. And by the time we were finishing up and going around the final fast turns, I was sooooo ready for the ride to be over. Yes...2 times on Everest had gotten me.

1579660136432.png

We pulled into the station and as we exited I told Luke to go touch his band to our picture. I stayed there long enough to make sure he didn't get lost, then made my way into the gift shop and took a seat on the floor. It felt like the whole store was spinning around. I stayed on the floor for probably about 3-4 minutes, until I felt like I could get up, and realized I probably looked like a goof sitting there on the floor of the gift shop. We got up and went outside and found a bench.

Sara took this photo of me, as I was still feeling it, but hoping it would pass soon.

1579660290052.png

She took Luke on Everest for their turn (thankfully Luke does not show any indication that he gets motion sick), and I walked with Makayla through the gift shop for a bit.

1579660354932.png

1579660374609.png

After a bit of time in the gift shop, I took Makayla back out and found my spot on the bench again. Still was feeling the effects. Sara and Luke came out having enjoyed their ride. Luke really wanted to try Kali River Rapids, so Sara said she would take both kids over there while I stayed put and tried to stop the world from spinning. Unfortunately, the ride was closed (it closed before the rest of the park that evening). Luke was pretty annoyed that he didn't get to do it. They all came back and found me.

I still wasn't feeling well, but decided that I would walk with them over to Restaurantosaurus. I started feeling a little better as we walked, but once we got to the restaurant it all came back. Yes...this was a bad night ;). I held it together long enough to place an order. Makayla got a peanut butter and jelly kids meal, Sara got a slushy, and Luke got some type of snack. I, of course, got nothing.

1579660652555.png

Luke and Makayla had really wanted to eat in the "hip joint,", but they had chairs set up blocking it off.

1579660703280.png

I stayed with my family for a bit, alternating between sitting at the table with my head down and getting up and walking around a little, but anything I tried wasn't working tonight. Finally, as Makayla was finishing, I decided I would get up and start my walk towards the bus stop. I took our stroller with me. I slowly but surely made my way to the park exit. As I got to our bus stop, Sara called before they exited the park to make sure I hadn't passed out on a bench. I assured her I was ok, and then boarded a bus as it arrived.

I ended up standing on the bus and there was a very nice guy. He was either from Canada or Michigan, I honestly can't remember which. He was very talkative, which normally would be great, but all I wanted to do was just look straight ahead. I did my best to make small talk while being very thankful the trip from AK to All star is very short.

I made it back to the resort, then slowly walked back to the room and collapsed into bed. So yes, this Wednesday night at Animal Kingdom is forever remembered as the one in which I got motion sickness and was essentially taken out for the rest of the evening. Fun to look back on now, but certainly was a very rough night as I was going through it. Thankfully I was able to go to bed that night, and wake up the next day feeling refreshed, and have the world feel like it wasn't spinning so much anymore.

krisri18

After dinosaur, we spent some time at the Boneyard playground. This was our first experience here where both our kids were old enough that they could go and play on their own. Makayla had always needed assistance before. Now, she was just like a big kid. :) Luke and Makayla went off and enjoyed the playground, while Sara and I enjoyed sitting for a bit!

View attachment 442808

View attachment 442810

View attachment 442811

Our day was going really fast, and before long it was time for our final fastpass on Expedition Everest. We decided that Luke and I would tackle the mountain first. Sara took Makayla over to Kali River Rapids while we rode Everest.

View attachment 442812

Everest quickly became Luke's favorite coaster again. He was screaming "Let's Go" all the way through the ride :). We had a great time, and as we were exiting into the gift shop, we got a text from Sara that she was just getting to Kali and that we could go again, if I thought my stomach could handle it.

So a little backstory here. I've always been prone to motion sickness, and it's gotten slightly worse as I've gotten older. So I do my best to take everything in moderation. There's been plenty of times where I've made Luke upset by sitting out repeat rides at amusement parks in order to preserve my stomach. But here tonight, after one trip on Everest, I was feeling really good. Like, my stomach wasn't an issue at all. So Luke and I decided to jump in the standby line, which was really a walk on at this point.

It was when we went backwards through the long turn that I realized I probably made a mistake. And by the time we were finishing up and going around the final fast turns, I was sooooo ready for the ride to be over. Yes...2 times on Everest had gotten me.

View attachment 442814

We pulled into the station and as we exited I told Luke to go touch his band to our picture. I stayed there long enough to make sure he didn't get lost, then made my way into the gift shop and took a seat on the floor. It felt like the whole store was spinning around. I stayed on the floor for probably about 3-4 minutes, until I felt like I could get up, and realized I probably looked like a goof sitting there on the floor of the gift shop. We got up and went outside and found a bench.

Sara took this photo of me, as I was still feeling it, but hoping it would pass soon.

View attachment 442817

She took Luke on Everest for their turn (thankfully Luke does not show any indication that he gets motion sick), and I walked with Makayla through the gift shop for a bit.

View attachment 442818

View attachment 442819

After a bit of time in the gift shop, I took Makayla back out and found my spot on the bench again. Still was feeling the effects. Sara and Luke came out having enjoyed their ride. Luke really wanted to try Kali River Rapids, so Sara said she would take both kids over there while I stayed put and tried to stop the world from spinning. Unfortunately, the ride was closed (it closed before the rest of the park that evening). Luke was pretty annoyed that he didn't get to do it. They all came back and found me.

I still wasn't feeling well, but decided that I would walk with them over to Restaurantosaurus. I started feeling a little better as we walked, but once we got to the restaurant it all came back. Yes...this was a bad night ;). I held it together long enough to place an order. Makayla got a peanut butter and jelly kids meal, Sara got a slushy, and Luke got some type of snack. I, of course, got nothing.

View attachment 442820

Luke and Makayla had really wanted to eat in the "hip joint,", but they had chairs set up blocking it off.

View attachment 442821

I stayed with my family for a bit, alternating between sitting at the table with my head down and getting up and walking around a little, but anything I tried wasn't working tonight. Finally, as Makayla was finishing, I decided I would get up and start my walk towards the bus stop. I took our stroller with me. I slowly but surely made my way to the park exit. As I got to our bus stop, Sara called before they exited the park to make sure I hadn't passed out on a bench. I assured her I was ok, and then boarded a bus as it arrived.

I ended up standing on the bus and there was a very nice guy. He was either from Canada or Michigan, I honestly can't remember which. He was very talkative, which normally would be great, but all I wanted to do was just look straight ahead. I did my best to make small talk while being very thankful the trip from AK to All star is very short.

I made it back to the resort, then slowly walked back to the room and collapsed into bed. So yes, this Wednesday night at Animal Kingdom is forever remembered as the one in which I got motion sickness and was essentially taken out for the rest of the evening. Fun to look back on now, but certainly was a very rough night as I was going through it. Thankfully I was able to go to bed that night, and wake up the next day feeling refreshed, and have the world feel like it wasn't spinning so much anymore.
Rough way to end a great AK day, hope you were able to recover for the next day. I think the motion sickness thing definitely gets worse as you get older. Roller coasters never bothered me when I was a teen, but now a ride on Rock N Roller Coaster gives me an instant headache and leaves me nauseous for half a day. Not worth it!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Years ago, I had vertigo brought on by multiple rides (over a few days) of RNR coaster! Per my doctor, the inner ear fluid (from the inversions) went out of balance. Luckily, symptoms didn't hit me until I was at my home airport, after the trip. Called dr.'s office and he prescribed some medicine for it, which I had the pharmacy deliver to home. I was o.k. within a day or so. Really scary though, when things start spinning, and you think you're going to faint! (The most I'll ride RNR now is just once per vacation.)

Lyear

Original Poster
Rough way to end a great AK day, hope you were able to recover for the next day. I think the motion sickness thing definitely gets worse as you get older. Roller coasters never bothered me when I was a teen, but now a ride on Rock N Roller Coaster gives me an instant headache and leaves me nauseous for half a day. Not worth it!

I've always gotten motion sick, but that was mostly car sick when I was growing up. I remember riding roller coasters all day long when I was younger and being fine. It was certainly a shock to get that sick in just two rides.

That’s awful feeling so lousy on vacation. Glad to hear you were back to normal the next day

Thanks. I was certainly feeling dizzy the rest of the night. I remember laying down in bed that night and the room still felt like it was spinning around. I was relieved when I woke up feeling fine the next day.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Years ago, I had vertigo brought on by multiple rides (over a few days) of RNR coaster! Per my doctor, the inner ear fluid (from the inversions) went out of balance. Luckily, symptoms didn't hit me until I was at my home airport, after the trip. Called dr.'s office and he prescribed some medicine for it, which I had the pharmacy deliver to home. I was o.k. within a day or so. Really scary though, when things start spinning, and you think you're going to faint! (The most I'll ride RNR now is just once per vacation.)

that's a crazy story, but glad you were able to figure out what it was. Never thought about that happening. I know Sara gets that way for a few days after she flies. One of the reasons we drive to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom