The Tipping Point For Change

UNCgolf

You act like that's a bad thing. The majority of people are not wrapped up in cynical and irrational hatred of things beyond their control. We just returned from a two week trip, our first since before covid, and had an absolute ball. Yea there are things we don't like happening with the parks and but it's frankly childish to say "oh em gee, we're never going back because Disney didn't do [insert complaint] or is taking away [insert complaint]." Even with the looming paid FastPass options, that in itself will likely not sway our decision to not visit Disney World; we'll find something else to enjoy at the resort. For our family there will never be a tipping point.

That's essentially the opposite of being childish, at least if they actually mean it and follow through. Choosing to stop spending money on something on something you no longer enjoy is an adult decision.

As for the actual topic -- I don't think WDW offers nearly the same experience that it offered 25 years ago in multiple ways, but I still enjoy going. There's really no comparable parks in the US outside of Disneyland. Universal is the closest, but they skew more heavily towards thrill rides that bore me (and generally don't care as much about theming with some notable exceptions); it's not quite the same thing. Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, Disney has been trending more towards Universal and less like original WDW in several ways, which is one of the reasons I don't like it as much as I once did.

With that said, I live in Atlanta and could easily go several times a year if I so desired. However, I don't go nearly that often because there are too many other things I enjoy and/or want to see. I've been twice in the past decade. If I no longer enjoyed it at all, though, I wouldn't go back. It has not reached that point for me, at least not yet.

Last edited:

MsAnniee

I've been a member here for 6 years, and there has always been the idea (or hope) that, if enough people become dissatisfied with their WDW trips and stop visiting, that the loss in revenue would force Disney to try and figure out why people don't want to come back, and use that info to make changes to entice those people to come back and to make the WDW experience better for everyone. At this point, that tipping point, wherever it might be, keeps getting further and further away, to the point that I wonder if it will ever come into play. For every 10 people that say "I'm done with WDW-costs too much, too busy, low food quality, etc", there seems to be 40 people who can't stop snorting the pixie dust and will say "I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited! Just booked my 10th trip this year! Magic, magic, magic! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍" Even if that mythical tipping point was reached, would positive change even be an option for Disney, instead of yet another "Well, let's just cut more operating costs, reduce hours and what we offer, and charge the addicts more-they'll never stop coming."
To me it is a cost - benefit decision. The costs have increased for less benefits.

Parades and character meet and greets are two of the things I love the most are gone. The “eat what we serve” model at former buffets means I don’t get to experience many tastes on top of limiting menus in other restaurants leaves me uninterested in dining at WDW. Then the lack of overall service that was there pre-pandemic, declining but there, has taken away more pixie dust.

As much as I love WDW, I won’t be back until guests are more than a profit on a financial statement.

Wow! My family is definitely a Disney family, with 7 DVC's between myself and my 3 sons (since we live in the Atlanta area and its just a car ride away, a big difference from our earlier years up north), all Disney Cruise members and APs to WDW AND Disneyland for years. We've been to Paris DL 3 times and WERE planning a trip to Hong Kong and still are for Tokyo. When I was going into the army (Vietnam era), my then best girl (and wife since then!) asked me where I would want to go on a trip before I left and I said, Disney World. So, we were there the first month is was opened. We have reservations for September, November and January for WDW. But I have to tell you. Lately, we've been cutting a day or two away from WDW and going to Universal instead. The majority of my 7 grandkids prefer it. More to do, more variety, better food and nicer hotel rooms (although I love some of the WDW DVC hotels better than any!)...they hate not being able to get on rides (SW's Resistance - 2 years and still trying..CARS - 3 trips before we got on!), long waiting lines for other rides - they love Peter Pan (my fave) and Snow White - but hate the lines. They hate the food in the restaurants, which I agree with - and I'm talking the higher prices ones. The removal of benches was a big mistake for the people like me who pay the freight for the grandkids - the old knees are creaky from being a military "jumper" - and other annoyances. Bottom line - we are trying our best to show our love for Disney - and I have no doubt we will continue to for generations to come - but they are really making it tough for us. And there are plenty of other places to go. Before this, except for an annual trip overseas, it was DISNEY ALL THE WAY!!! But not so anymore, because of the perceived lack of respect by Disney and the feeling of less value. It used to be, no matter how much we spent on Disney, we didn't feel cheated. It's hard to feel that way now. We LOVE Disney, but it just seems easier now to take our love to town, especially with the grandkids - who are incredibly unspoiled - asking us to!!!

Last edited:

Cadbury

Lately, we've been cutting a day away from WDW and going to Universal instead.
Nothing wrong with that. I know some Disney super-fans who refuse to step foot in Universal. Truth be told, Universal isn't all that bad. Heck, the WWHP (Potter) gave Disney a run for their money when it first opened. And I like to think Pandora and Galaxy's Edge are the result of that.

Last edited:

mikeanabean

Next year will be our first trip back since covid but we are have to stay elsewhere off site due to the cost. We are also pairing down everything in order to actually go. We used to pass holders and go a couple times a year but the tipping point for us was a couple of years ago. Disney does not want the repeat or pass holders cause we want discounts and really don’t spend a lot. Disney now wants the weathly and the ones who go once or once every 5-10 years cause they spend the most on lodging, food and souvenir.

DisneyMusician2

It seems like Disney cuts back on things as a matter of course. I think it's generally the nature of things when you have a monopoly. If revenue is up, then you can cut back on things and make more money. If revenue is down, you have a reason to cut back on things to preserve profit. I think that the only incentive Disney has to improve things is competition.. the NEED to invest in things because, long term, they may lose market share to their competitor (assume Universal) and it's hard to regain customers once you've lost them.

LOL, so the best way to improve Disney is to go to Universal. ;)
I actually do both Universal and Disney on most trips and enjoy the differences in the parks. And yes I'm one of those crazy people who still love it but thats been for over 30 years and lots of great memories with my extended family so maybe its wrapped up in that a bit.

And being someone who frequently will go down just for the resort as well, I appreciate many of the improvements made to the resort overall and a lot of the refurbs. But I understand that sometimes I'm in the minority.

SteveAZee

I actually do both Universal and Disney on most trips and enjoy the differences in the parks. And yes I'm one of those crazy people who still love it but thats been for over 30 years and lots of great memories with my extended family so maybe its wrapped up in that a bit.

And being someone who frequently will go down just for the resort as well, I appreciate many of the improvements made to the resort overall and a lot of the refurbs. But I understand that sometimes I'm in the minority.
Yes... while I haven't gone to Universal (yet), I go back as much for nostalgia as anything. I've been going for 48 years now and will be going back with my grown children again in a couple of years... then the time after that will be kids and grandkid(s), at least that's the plan. It's great to see the place though other's eyes. I agree that my personal focus is resort first and parks second, but I'll go and see the new stuff and reminisce while riding the old stuff.

I guess I rode Carousel of Progress when it was at the NY World's Fair. I have to take my mom's word for it though. :)

witman281

Isn’t it all in the perception of the person who is going? We just returned from a trip to the Jersey shore and we couldn’t believe how much the area hasn’t changed through the years. Everything seems so dated and unchanged from when we’re kids and yet the people flock there every weekend from the area. The same for Disney except at least the Parks do try to update and evolve to meet the needs going forward. It all comes down to what you want to spend your money on. If you feel the value and enjoyment is there then no one can judge why you keep going because in the end that’s all that matters. We still enjoy going because there is so much to do with the parks and surrounding area.

MorphinePrince

I know some Disney super-fans who refuse to step foot in Universal. Truth be told, Universal isn't all that bad.
I embarrassingly used to be one of those fans. I wouldn't even set foot in CityWalk because it felt "cheap" compared to Disney Springs :rolleyes: 🤣 Then about three years ago, one of my best friends asked me to join him for a staycation at Royal Pacific and a day at the parks, my mind was blown!! There was a lot more at Universal that I enjoyed. I still prefer Disney but I've grown to appreciate what two resorts have to offer.

Cadbury

I embarrassingly used to be one of those fans. I wouldn't even set foot in CityWalk because it felt "cheap" compared to Disney Springs :rolleyes: 🤣 Then about three years ago, one of my best friends asked me to join him for a staycation at Royal Pacific and a day at the parks, my mind was blown!! There was a lot more at Universal that I enjoyed. I still prefer Disney but I've grown to appreciate what two resorts have to offer.
I feel bad for those who live in the Disney bubble because that bubble more or less prevents them from enjoying other parks and attractions in the Orlando area.

Cadbury

Don’t feel bad for us. I spent one day at Universal a few years ago, and that was more than enough for me. Some of us know what alternatives are out there and still choose Disney.
At least you tried it. I'm talking about those who never did and never will. I don't want to call 'em narrow minded....scratch that....that's exactly what they are. lol

LittleBuford

At least you tried it. I'm talking about those who never did and never will. I don't want to call 'em narrow minded....scratch that....that's exactly what they are. lol
Not necessarily. I've said this before many times, but some of us who go to WDW are Disney people rather than theme-park people. Why is it narrowminded to stick to something that actually speaks to your interests?

castlecake2.0

I say this on here a lot, but people need to tell Disney their thoughts. I know people get discouraged from the standard reply they get back from GR, but anytime you email Disney it does get sent to the area leadership team. That doesn’t mean they’re going to change everything you write about, but it gets word to them that people notice what they’re doing. Over the last year I’ve emailed about things that have been addressed:

The Seas sign (cleaned up from mildew stains)
Canada lanterns (all replaced or repainted)
Canada mountain (repainted, though I hate the stupid fake trees)
Rivers of Light seating area dinoland side (tattered and ripped signs and banners removed)
World Drive tower of terror sign (turned on but broke a few days later lol)

things I wrote about that haven’t changed (yet)
Paper napkins at rose and crown, lack of shade at skyliner stations, scratched up doors in lobby of CBR.

So about a 50/50 success rate, but better than nothing. If we just complain on here it won’t change anything, an we can’t speak with our wallets because people will always go, but we can speak up and send in our feedback in a productive and courteous way.

guest.services@disneyworld.com

Benjamin_Nicholas

Disney is like the airline industry: No one will ever really be happy with the product.

I think they do the best with what they have and the need to satisfy shareholders.

It's more expensive, yes, but not everything is for everyone. We live amongst capitalism. This is America.

Disney is a business and they will price things as high as the market will bear. Clearly, it's not yet hitting their bottom line of attendance.

jpinkc

Oh I agree I had not been in Universal in YEARS! When the WWHP opened that is when we first went to Uni. I admit its smaller and it doesnt do for me overall what WDW does. But WWHP IMHO still beats Pandora and TSL with a club. Havent seen SWGE yet but will this Nov. I know I will like it, (there is only 1REAL Princess, dont get me started :D). But the cost difference for a weeks stay between the 2 is pretty BIG!! It could make us change....

LittleBuford

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but if your universe revolves around nothing but Disney then all the more power to you. To each their own.
You're either misunderstanding or misrepresenting what I'm saying. My universe does not revolve around Disney, even if my theme-park visits do. My travels have taken me to many kinds of destinations, including quaint European towns, bustling Asian metropolises, idyllic Mediterranean islands, and ancient North African archaeological sites. Yes, my theme-park preferences are specific (what you would call narrowminded), but that is not the way to measure a person's overall interests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom