The Story of my band trip...so far

Goofster

Well, this probably isn't all that exciting, but I figured I'd write about it anyway. Hopefully it won't be too long. If you don't care about my problems and don't feel like reading, it won't bother me.

Ok, so here's the deal: Over New Years my band "The Pride of NA" is/was(not sure yet) going to Walt Disney World. It is/was supposed to be a really great trip, a lot of fun, down there in the parks for 4 days, only performance on New Years Day in the Share a Dream come true Pre-PArade. Boy this is/was gonna be great.

-Ok I'll stop using the is/was thing. Anybody have a preference, well, I guess I'll be hopeful and use "is".

Anywho, after September 11th we were all a little unsure, yet hopeful, about our trip. Still, our band director conviced us he was almost sure everything would be ok and our trip would probably stay on. So about a week or two ago the school board says we need to fill out these surveys saying questions like "Will you let your child go on the trip?" "Do you understand we are not responsible for lost money?"

And so here we are, today. Thursday. This morning there were a lot of rumors floating around about if the trip is still on or not because some crazy stuff happened at the Board meeting last night. And then thursday afternoon band practice rolls around. Oh the principal of the high school is here to talk to us. "this can't be good" Anyway, they claim that 1/3 of the band said no on a few survey questions, so our band director and the principal and somebody else recommended to the school board that we not go.

Their reasons were as follows:
1/3 of band is not enough (we are a 250 member band here)
Instrumentation is unbalanced (why can't a trumpet play tuba?)
Disney is expecting a huge band (better 2/3 of us than none)

Anyway, we're all pretty ed, especially the Seniors. Now I've just got a few questions:

Would it not be better for Disney to have 2/3 of the 250 ppl than none?
Are there really bands lined up hoping NA will cancel their band trip so that they can come to Disney instead? (that's what the principal said)

So here's what happens from here. Either the board makes us go on the trip, no matter what our director recommended. Or we try to go on a trip later in Spring or something, or we don't go at all.

Sorry this is so long, I just had to get it out :brick: :(

CrisKennedy

I feel for you, Goofster. My band had the opportunity to audition to perform at the '96 Olympics, and we ended up not auditioning...I was rather upset that we didn't, especially since I was a Senior.

I hope you get to go whether it's for New Year's or in the Spring.

Good luck. :)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Goofster, ...what a bad break. Someone I know was supposed to go to the 1980 Olympics, but the US boycotted them because of the USSR invasion of Afghanistan! (talk about history coming back to bite you) Even though she understands and supports what was done, there is a part of her that will always wonder if she would have won a medal.

Please try to understand the fear that some of the parents are feeling...it's hard to think rationally when you think your children might be in danger, especially if you feel you could have done more to protect them.

My daughter is going on a Fine Arts school trip to NYC the first week of Dec. She went last year and had a great time. Some parents have cancelled; I never considered that option. I'm not sure that she is in more danger there than at this weekend's Florida-Georgia football game....estimated crowd 100,000 in a stadium.

Sometimes, you just have to close your eyes, cross your fingers, say a little prayer, and send them out the door.

Upvote 0

Goofster

Original Poster
Yeah, I was really mad at first, but now I'm staring to understand where these people are coming from. Still, I hope I get to go in the spring.

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The size of your band doesn't matter. I went with my high school band which only had 100 people, and also performed with the U of Wis band at disneyland twice, and we have over 300.

Upvote 0

mickeyfan

My prayers are with you that it will all work out. I know my band trip to Disney was very memorable and I am so happy that I had the opportunity. I had the time of my life.

Keep us posted.:)

Upvote 0

Goofster

Original Poster
YEAH BABY! There is a God, and he loves me!!

At the emergency meeting tonight they readdressed all the issues and The Trip IS BACK ON!!!!!!!! :D YEAH!!!! 100 years of MAgic here I come!!! I love the world, I love Band! Wow, I'm so excited! Thanks everybody for your kindness (and prayers) It is back on!! :D :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

mickeyfan

Originally posted by Goofster
YEAH BABY! There is a God, and he loves me!!

At the emergency meeting tonight they readdressed all the issues and The Trip IS BACK ON!!!!!!!! :D YEAH!!!! 100 years of MAgic here I come!!! I love the world, I love Band! Wow, I'm so excited! Thanks everybody for your kindness (and prayers) It is back on!! :D :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Always believe in the power of prayer!!:D

My daughter's band is going to Universal in May 2002 -- I'm going to try and extend the trip and go to DW for a few days afterwards!! Can't wait!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom