Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No regrets. Jalapenos are amazing.
Hands @Zweiland a Nacho.

IMG_5277_resize.jpg

(anyone else want one?)

DinoInstitute

Great job teams! 20 days of hard work really did show! Now, though, it's time for IDI's reviews!:D:p

Team Sea- This was a really well-designed pair of ships. I particularly liked the variety of restaurants you included on the ship, creating the ability for a new experience every night, as well as including unique offerings like Philharmagic and The Avengers simulator. Some songs combos I don't know if I would have chosen though for the former, and I do wish you went into more detail on the latter, but even so, it is a pretty neat floor for different activities that aren't just for the kids. The rooms I don't have anything to complain about, but I wish we got to see more original art work for them. Going with that point, a lot of this seemed to not be as original, but a lot very similar to the current cruise ships, and there never really seemed to be a cohesive theme to the ships. The nighttime show was great, I actually enjoyed it just by sitting here! Perhaps it would have been nice to see a bit more special effects in the vid, but I see what you were getting at, and I loved it. Great music choice. One last thing- the site. I liked the concept of your presentation, but that share-slide program you used just kind of made it look a little messy.Were these the premier cruise line that the challenge asked for? I don't know, but they definitely are something that I would be honored to experience firsthand!!

Team Land- I really liked your presentation. This style of site has not shown to be uncommon, but it really worked this time around. The main video played was very laggy, and I did not get to see it in full, which disappointed me. Was it because I was using Chrome? The Radio thing was a neat touch that I enjoyed, and could see it in real life. But it started to distract from my reading, so I started muting it.Using MM+ was a smart move, because you know that Disney would 100% use that in their next development, plus it would add to convenience like the WDW is supposed to. I like how you went into detail in a lot of things, it really helped get a better understanding of the ships. Although, I did have to go back after making it to about page 6 because I missed the "click on mickey's for details" part. Woops. Like with team Sea, I really enjoyed and appreciated all of the little amenities you included. IS there a way though to turn off the Characters-in-the-portholes thing in some of the rooms? That could creep me out when I'm changing, or keep me from getting a good night sleep. Themeing your floors, such as with MSUSA was cool! Very fun! I again have nothing to complain or go over the top to praise of most of the rest of the floors, and a lot was similar to sea. Are the teams getting too familiar? <grin>;). I would have liked to see something a little more unique/creative and big for the pool area, one part that I think had a lot of potential. In the end though, this is quite the cruise ship. I love it.

Now, each team had their ups and downs, and it was pretty close, but with all bias aside, I think that Zweiland and englanddg created the better cruise ships and deserve to move on to the final two.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Great job teams! 20 days of hard work really did show! Now, though, it's time for IDI's reviews!:D:p

Team Sea- This was a really well-designed pair of ships. I particularly liked the variety of restaurants you included on the ship, creating the ability for a new experience every night, as well as including unique offerings like Philharmagic and The Avengers simulator. Some songs combos I don't know if I would have chosen though for the former, and I do wish you went into more detail on the latter, but even so, it is a pretty neat floor for different activities that aren't just for the kids. The rooms I don't have anything to complain about, but I wish we got to see more original art work for them. Going with that point, a lot of this seemed to not be as original, but a lot very similar to the current cruise ships, and there never really seemed to be a cohesive theme to the ships. The nighttime show was great, I actually enjoyed it just by sitting here! Perhaps it would have been nice to see a bit more special effects in the vid, but I see what you were getting at, and I loved it. Great music choice. One last thing- the site. I liked the concept of your presentation, but that share-slide program you used just kind of made it look a little messy.Were these the premier cruise line that the challenge asked for? I don't know, but they definitely are something that I would be honored to experience firsthand!!

Team Land- I really liked your presentation. This style of site has not shown to be uncommon, but it really worked this time around. The main video played was very laggy, and I did not get to see it in full, which disappointed me. Was it because I was using Chrome? The Radio thing was a neat touch that I enjoyed, and could see it in real life. But it started to distract from my reading, so I started muting it.Using MM+ was a smart move, because you know that Disney would 100% use that in their next development, plus it would add to convenience like the WDW is supposed to. I like how you went into detail in a lot of things, it really helped get a better understanding of the ships. Although, I did have to go back after making it to about page 6 because I missed the "click on mickey's for details" part. Woops. Like with team Sea, I really enjoyed and appreciated all of the little amenities you included. IS there a way though to turn off the Characters-in-the-portholes thing in some of the rooms? That could creep me out when I'm changing, or keep me from getting a good night sleep. Themeing your floors, such as with MSUSA was cool! Very fun! I again have nothing to complain or go over the top to praise of most of the rest of the floors, and a lot was similar to sea. Are the teams getting too familiar? <grin>;). I would have liked to see something a little more unique/creative and big for the pool area, one part that I think had a lot of potential. In the end though, this is quite the cruise ship. I love it.

Now, each team had their ups and downs, and it was pretty close, but with all bias aside, I think that Zweiland and englanddg created the better cruise ships and deserve to move on to the final two.
I believe you can turn off the animals, yes. And you can turn off the portal altogether.

Fair point about the radio. As I was editing, if I heard those chimes one more time, I thought I was going to go mad.

Originally it wasn't going to be quite so much, but as we built the site out I kept it going for consistency.

The video being laggy could come from a variety of things, but hardware acceleration in Chrome could have caused it (I had to turn mine off, it didn't play well with the video specifically).

Here's the video on youtube.

I'm actually hosting the video on the site because I wanted to use the HTML autoplay controls (which is another reason why it could be laggy...)

DinoInstitute

I believe you can turn off the animals, yes. And you can turn off the portal altogether.

Fair point about the radio. As I was editing, if I heard those chimes one more time, I thought I was going to go mad.

Originally it wasn't going to be quite so much, but as we built the site out I kept it going for consistency.

The video being laggy could come from a variety of things, but hardware acceleration in Chrome could have caused it (I had to turn mine off, it didn't play well with the video specifically).

Here's the video on youtube.

I'm actually hosting the video on the site because I wanted to use the HTML autoplay controls (which is another reason why it could be laggy...)

Cool! I was able to watch the video by going to your channel afterwards, and it was pretty nice and good editing. Again, I think the video being on the site was very cool, it just didn't work out.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Team Sea had issues this past few weeks is an understate, more information concerning which will come out after a while.

At the same time the goal was to create something similair in design as the Original Disney Cruise Ships. They have four amazingly designed Cruise ships, in many ways Fantasy and Dream are a enhanced version as Magic and Wonder. So why go to far from the original design. ;)

@englanddg and @Zweiland I am examining your websiting and I am kicking myself in the butt for forgetting are specs, Funny thing though is we have almost exactly the same specs. You guys did a great job.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Also @IDInstitute The original website had Image mapping that allowed the User to click on the map, however the platform we were using does did not allow for screen sizes to be taken in effect. Somewhere on my computer I have an early Javascript program that allowed for an interactive map, but that faltered for reason that will once again be brought up later.

DinoInstitute

Team Sea had issues this past few weeks is an understate, more information concerning which will come out after a while.

At the same time the goal was to create something similair in design as the Original Disney Cruise Ships. They have four amazingly designed Cruise ships, in many ways Fantasy and Dream are a enhanced version as Magic and Wonder. So why go to far from the original design. ;)

@englanddg and @Zweiland I am examining your websiting and I am kicking myself in the butt for forgetting are specs, Funny thing though is we have almost exactly the same specs. You guys did a great job.
I think it was a nice design how there were a multitude of new experiences every day:) Just hard to define one, and that isn't necessarily a problem.

Hope everything was fine and is good in your off-line life, with the problems you had this week?:confused::)

DinoInstitute

Also @IDInstitute The original website had Image mapping that allowed the User to click on the map, however the platform we were using does did not allow for screen sizes to be taken in effect. Somewhere on my computer I have an early Javascript program that allowed for an interactive map, but that faltered for reason that will once again be brought up later.
I see. But it was nice that you used that though, as it was something different, as the click-on-map thing has been used a lot.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Like the last few reviews, this is just gonna be stream of consciousness as I read through it.

* Love what you did with the Sea Logo. That's cool!

* (review delayed due to the fact I now have to dance to the awesome steel drums)

* We came very close to naming one of our ships the Disney Wish. In fact, early drafts had that name. Great minds, eh?

* Nitpick...but Donald already has a boat. The Dream.

Admiral%20Donald%2020130625-l-L.jpg

Likewise, the other ships are:
Magic = Mickey
Wonder = Arial
Fantasy = Minnie

* I like the idea of theming one ship off the 60s and 70s technicolor Disney...though I'm not sure about using Kirk Douglas...it just feels a bit, off, considering all the other ships use cartoon characters. But, certainly out of the box thinking there!

* FantaSEA is just really well done. Great idea! And you got to do your animation @MonorailRed ! <grin>

* Also, doing the video was a great way to present the concept, rather than just talking about it. I could picture this actually working on a ship.

* Wow, this show is great. Some amazing artistic direction here. Nice editing, nice choices, great use of color. LOVE IT!

* Also, projection shows like this would work extremely well because there is pretty much no light pollution out at sea (which an at sea night is when I'd suspect this show would happen).

* Not sure about it happening in the Lobby, but top of the ship works great!

* Had to do some Daft Punk, eh? Yeah, I used two of their songs as well (one from Tron).

* During the Tron section, not sure what video editor you used, but I would have gone with more rapid cutscene transitions, to give it a "strobe" feel. iMovie and Pinnacle can both do that.

* Who would have thought that I'd get an emotional response watching a mock up of a Disney show...

I really shouldn't cut onions at my desk...it leads to sniffles.

giphy.gif

* The site is straightforward. It's functional, but I wouldn't exactly call it aesthetically pleasing. I don't care for the slideshow feature, nor the choice of background image either.

* Deck 1 is a straight up utilitarian Deck. Nice inclusion. Adding more tender docks is a good thing. You'll see them back up 2 and 3 deep waiting to dock with the Fantasy, so there's clearly a limitation there.

* I really enjoyed Deck 2. Liked everything about it...so I won't gush on about it.

* Funny, we did restaurants, but specifically veered away from menus. Whoever did that one did great. Your getting better. Remy approves!

tumblr_ndklbdp3Ao1rdqbfro1_500.gif

* The Blueberrilicious is disgusting (I've had it, and I know where you got it from)

* Your theater layout on Deck 4 is exactly the same as the Dream Class ship.

* In fact, that whole deck is a rip from the Dream Class. <wink>

* Deck 5 is Deck 4 (check your slideshow)

* Dining, not Dinning. It's all over the place. (nitpick...but...it seems like I have words I constantly mis-spell, someone on your team does as well!)

* I liked the gimmicky rooms as a concept, but wouldn't over do it. How many of them are there?

* Not much else to say until Deck 11

* Yeah, we should have known we'd both bring back the Adventurer's Club.

* Between the Dish is a neat concept.

* LOVE Club 28!

* Constellations is nice, too. But the Purple Planet reminds me of cough syrup (or should I say sizzurb?)

* Private Eye Lounge, nice.

* I liked all the offerings, and that you varied them per ship. Good job!

* Not much to say about Deck 12, it's solid.

* Deck 13 and 14...is Deck 13 and 14.

* Deck 15 is Vibe. Not to many twists there. Where is the pre-teen club?

Overall, as expected, a strong and entertaining presentation.

This is gonna be close!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Cool! I was able to watch the video by going to your channel afterwards, and it was pretty nice and good editing. Again, I think the video being on the site was very cool, it just didn't work out.
It also didn't help that I rendered the thing in extreme HD for the site, as I wanted it to be crisp.

It never lagged for me. There are a variety of things that cause lag...so...

Anyhow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom