The Solo Trip

DisneyChik17

I have always wanted to take a solo trip. Just the idea of getting to go alone, at my pace, on my plans seems so nice. And now, due to great college school schedules, scholarships, and my first real job, I could afford this solo trip. :D

But, I have a lot of questions:
  1. Is it worth going alone at 18?
  2. Is four days long enough for a solo trip?
  3. What are the downsides to going alone?
  4. Will I have as much fun by myself?
And then other small self doubts which I am sure are one of those "only you will know" types. I guess I would just like a rundown of the pros & cons of a solo trip. I am really considering doing this, I just need to be reassured.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I enjoy going solo to WDW. My first solo trip was when I was around 22 or 23. I had a great time and haven't hesitated to go to WDW (or anywhere, really) alone since then.

I do things differently when I'm alone. I might spend an hour people-watching, or an afternoon resort-hopping. I might actually sit down and read a book in one of the parks (I get really strange looks). Mostly, i go slower then I would with a group at times (looking at details, talking to CM's), and faster at others (single-rider lines, skip a few rides here and there). It's great.

Somebody mentioned the only odd thing being sitting down for a meal. When i'm travelling alone, I do tend stick to counter-service or buffets a bit more often than when I'm with a group, because waiter-service somehow feels a little bit odd, because of that time between ordering and the food arriving, and then between finishing eating and paying the bill, when you have nothing to do. However, I do deal with that discomfort for a good meal, and the book can come in handy as well. Also, Disney offers a few table-service options with entertainment that can ease the discomfort as well. Sci-Fin Dine-in, Marrakesh, Coral Reef, character meals, Rainforest Cafe, etc.

So, do it and have fun.

Upvote 0

macsmom

I really liked the idea of going solo - just returned 10 days ago - but got really nervous about it when I arrived at the World. Then, it just didn't matter. I had the greatest time. Like several people have stated, you can go at your own pace and do whatever you wanted. I rode on rides I never had before and didn't have to worry about anyone else. I usually carry a book with me, but actually forgot to bring them with me this trip. Did not matter at all! The only place I felt uncomfortable at was San Angel Inn :hurl: and since it was so dark, I would not have been able to read anyway. GO! Have a great time!

danna

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Original Poster
I think I have convinced myself, but now I just have to talk to my parents. :ROFLOL:Because, while I have all this "independence," I still live at home. :eek: I guess that's another reason I have the money to do it. I am tempted to just book it and spring it on them "Oh yea, I'm going to WDW without you." I jsut don't know how well that would go over. LOL!

Upvote 0

fantasiapirate

...Sci-Fin Dine-in, Marrakesh, Coral Reef, character meals, Rainforest Cafe, etc.

MichWolv, Great minds must think alike. :ROFLOL:The first three restaurants on your list are three of the four I've booked for my December solo trip.

I've also got a lunch at Nine Dragons and three other sit down meals with acquaintances from this board. I'm planning to hit a few Mousefest events and have plenty of time to check out the resort hotels and go on whatever rides I want as many times as i want. :)

I can't wait!!

Upvote 0

Elphaba

I'm going solo the first week of december, the 3rd to the 8th, and I can't wait, no fighting in the morning for the shower, no one yelling at me when I get up at 6 to be at the park for extra morning hours, I'm super excited, I've booked a spa treatment at the grand floridian, my mvmcp tickets, and I'm looking into taking a tour, not sure which one yet, but it's gonna be fabulous!!! All I have to do now is decide where to eat and book my dining reservations. Cali Grill is a must, I always dine there, and Boma as well, as for the rest, I guess I can decide when I get there.... yay!

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
...Sci-Fin Dine-in, Marrakesh, Coral Reef, character meals, Rainforest Cafe, etc.

MichWolv, Great minds must think alike. :ROFLOL:The first three restaurants on your list are three of the four I've booked for my December solo trip.

I've also got a lunch at Nine Dragons and three other sit down meals with acquaintances from this board. I'm planning to hit a few Mousefest events and have plenty of time to check out the resort hotels and go on whatever rides I want as many times as i want. :)

I can't wait!!

Yes, great minds do think alike, but that doesn't explain anything involving me! :hammer:

Upvote 0

Thiger

If you're worried about feeling lonely, consider this: why not bring a camera w/ a big memory card and a notebook. With these items you can document your solo trip and when you get back post the accounts of your trip on wdwmagic? Then you'll feel like all of us are with you as you document your adventures.

I find going solo is really fun. If you ever feel kinda blue, buy some balloons and give them to any child you see. You'll be sure to make friends quickly and you'll feel great having made someone's day.

:)

Upvote 0

foldmama

Hi: I went on my first solo drip to Disney in May, 2006. I had never traveled solo before except for business and I was very nervous about it for all the same reasons you are. I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and departed on a late Friday evening flight. I actually wished I had booked a longer trip. Yes, it can be a bit lonely at time. The hardest part for me was evening meals - so after the few few days I actually just started doing counter meals. I was just more comfortable with it. I met some amazing people and I had a wonderful time. So wonderful in fact that I am traveling solo for a few days to WDW in early December. I originally planned a week solo in December, but an old friend decided to join me for a few days. It's an amazing experience to be able to do what you want and at your own pace. I often travel to WDW with a friend a bit older than me and it's really hard (she is afraid to do anything alone). On my last solo trip I took two tours - The Keys to The Kingdom tour which was so much fun and because I was solo, I sat with the CM leading the tour for lunch. I was able to ask all the questions I wanted. I also took the 8 hour Backstage Magic tour which again was a wonderful experience. I met some wonderful people and I had a great time. While waiting for Illuminations I met a great couple and the hour flew by. Traveling on your own can be hard at times, but you will have some great times and will meet some wonderful people. Plus your young, go for it! I waited until I was 50 to do my first solo trip. I now realized that was a big mistake!

Upvote 0

J_Krafty24

I would love to take a solo trip. I've done solo day trips to cedar point up in ohio a few times and had nice relaxing days each and every time. I doubt I get a solo trip for a long time though - I just got married and my DH won't want to miss out on the fun. Knew I should have given myself a nice big college graduation present (if only I could have afforded it)

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Original Poster
OK, now I have a new question.

That day I get there there is a MVMCP and the next night is E-EMH. Do I go to the party or to the EMH? Or do I do both?

And yes, I am a very go-go-go person. I am so excited about this because there will be non-stop going. I don't like to take breaks. I just want to GO!

Upvote 0

fantasiapirate

It depends on your budget and your energy level. EMH is included, MVMCP is about $51 if you buy a ticket on line. I tend to do the morning EMHs, but am doing MVMCP 12/06. I don't know if I'll make rope drop the next morning, I'm a lot older than you are. :)

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Original Poster
Well, sadly, it seems that this little trip is not happening. When I sat down to really talk to my parents about it, they were very against it. Mostly the drive, the length of it and what not, and partly my age, but we have reached a compromise. We are going to try and go for a few days right before Christmas (Dec. 21, 22, 23, & 24). I will still be doing a lot on my own, but my Daddy will be driving. :D

Now, I am re-working spreadsheets and dates. Loving the MK being open until 3 AM! AHHH! I can go all night and into the morning! :sohappy:

Oh, and worry not, a solo trip is certainly in my future. :D

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Well, sadly, it seems that this little trip is not happening. When I sat down to really talk to my parents about it, they were very against it. Mostly the drive, the length of it and what not, and partly my age, but we have reached a compromise. We are going to try and go for a few days right before Christmas (Dec. 21, 22, 23, & 24). I will still be doing a lot on my own, but my Daddy will be driving. :D

Now, I am re-working spreadsheets and dates. Loving the MK being open until 3 AM! AHHH! I can go all night and into the morning! :sohappy:

Oh, and worry not, a solo trip is certainly in my future. :D

Thats too bad, but I can also see your parents point. Quite frankly I would be a little concerned if my girls wanted to go by themselves when they turn 18.

Having said that though, going solo can be a load of fun. It depends a lot on your personality. One thing to remember is that, in general, CM's are pretty friendly. If you are friendly it's easy to have conversations with them. Come guests are that way as well. Dining is not a problem for me, but again its all personality. Depending on how friendly you are, you could aslo got to a place like Germany, where you are "forced" to sit with people (it also depends on how friendly THEY are as well).

About the only thing that I do not like to do alone at WDW is the all you care to eat table service places (Ohana, Liberate your appitite, etc) Buffets and table services are fine, but it's a little strange to be served "family style" with large dishes of food when its just you eating.

-dave

Upvote 0

TTARider

I have always wanted to take a solo trip. Just the idea of getting to go alone, at my pace, on my plans seems so nice. And now, due to great college school schedules, scholarships, and my first real job, I could afford this solo trip. :D

But, I have a lot of questions:
  1. Is it worth going alone at 18?
  2. Is four days long enough for a solo trip?
  3. What are the downsides to going alone?
  4. Will I have as much fun by myself?
And then other small self doubts which I am sure are one of those "only you will know" types. I guess I would just like a rundown of the pros & cons of a solo trip. I am really considering doing this, I just need to be reassured.
Wow...your my hero. Me and my DGF are both 18 as well and we are trying as hard as we can to get a trip to WDW. We're both in college and we're finding it impossible to fund a trip. If you don't mind me asking where are you staying and how many hours do you work a week?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom