The Simpsons Shrek and Disney

CTXRover

Originally posted by Woody13

And Shrek doesn't stop there, even mocking — gasp! — Disney's theme parks. Shrek's villainous Lord Farquaad (Lithgow) presides over a spot-on parody of Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
Lithgow refuses to downplay the Disney connection.

"There's no point in pretending the Disney references weren't intended," he says. "It's unmistakable when they walk into Farquaad's Disneyland. Even kids recognize it, and they think it's hilarious. partly because Disney is such an easy target."

I think I have to watch Shrek again :lol: Beyond someone telling me that Lord Farquaad's castle was making fun of Disney parks, I personally didn't see it when I watched it before. Maybe I just have a bad memory of the movie :)

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Originally posted by CTXRover
The Simpson's do poke fun at Disney a lot. From entire episodes that resemble Disney parks (Itchie and Scratchie Land park, Duff Gardens with the small-world type ride, EFCOT (this was probably the most obvious)) to little things like a mall that is now "Disney-Store Free" to Lisa saying "At least its better than California Adventure" when at a prison, etc. Most are funny, even for an avid Disney fan, since they mean no real harm.

As for the movie Shrek, I can see why many have thought it made fun of Disney, but I also think critics got this idea in their mind and ran with it (and thus influenced the general public). Most of the fairytales they make fun of are MUCH older than Disney's recreation of them. But it was Disney's films that seem to have made them famous and thus when those characters are used elsewhere, many associate them with Disney. The line at Lord Farquadd's castle was funny, but that arrangement (back and forth lines) are found at virtually all parks. I haven't seen any storyboards, but its likely Shrek was designed to make fun at Disney. However, when I watched the actual movie, it seemed to me to be making fun of fairytales, not Disney. Its just that Disney made them famous :)

i do believe that dreamworks used these fairytales to poke fun with, SLIGHTLY, only becuase Disney made them SO INCREDIBLY POPULAR. but the main part is in Farquad's Castle scene... everything is IMMACULATELY CLEAN and the queue line and the oversized head costume, (which are basically all parks, except for the cleanliness, but you know they are HUGE DISNEY RIVALS.... but the main thing is the little singing dolls... this HAS to be a direct reference to Its A Small World....

now the Simpsons on the other hand... they are hilarious. I do not believe that they mean any harm to disney, i actually think they LIKE disney in some weird way. their humor towards it is much like the SNL humor towards politics and celebs...
they are popular, and EASILY Recognizable... but shrek and the simpsons are both funny, and I am glad that they do these types of things... this way disney is incorporated into everything, and that shows that disney really is a success... i mean, everyone else is jealous and poking fun...
you never see the Sec. of State paradoy on SNL becuase nobody cares, but Bush... ALL THE WAY

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom