The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

Mike S

Yes - I believe I might have said an expletive out loud. Sadly I feel like we won't get a good comparison with Kong as all the Orlando folks that have been to SDL missed out on RR. I don't see myself back to Universal Orlando until the Nintendo stuff.

It might be the most physically imposing AA ever (or at least the one that works). It's huge. By the way there is an indoor drop in the dark as well that you guys probably can't really pick up from the videos.

It's Grizzly River Rapids + 30 seconds indoors + an imposing AA. I don't think it's going to be anyone's favourite ride ever, but it's the definitive rapids ride for sure.

My one issue is that it by far suffers the most from being new with immature plant life. It needs 5-10 years of growth. Fortunately this is one time where Disney literally has to do nothing and the ride will improve over time.
My favorite rapids ride so far is Popeye. Besides the AA this one looks like your typical rapids ride. Is there other movement besides the head that we're missing?

BrianLo

My favorite rapids ride so far is Popeye. Besides the AA this one looks like your typical rapids ride. Is there other movement besides the head that we're missing?

Probably not. As I said you are with it long enough to process, but not long enough to justify anymore additional movement flourishes. The big part is the head and it snapping at you. I could understand how the lighting and effect starts to fall apart if you are staring at a video loop. Wish I could actually see what you guys are talking about to comment. Barbarosa is probably the most technically impressive at the resort, but the croc is the biggest.

There isn't a whole lot more to it from the other raft rides than having an impressive AA. I really can't quantify the differences if I'm being honest between Grizzly, Popeye and Roaring Rapids. I haven't ridden them frequently enough or close enough in time. It's like asking to pick what the best type of vanilla ice-cream is, but you can only sample one per year. All I really know is the Animal Kingdom one got left out in the sun.

Actually, I forgot that Singapore's JP is also a raft - maybe that's technically the best iteration. It's been too long since I did that to comment.

It definitely soaks you - but what raft ride doesn't.

Mike S

Probably not. As I said you are with it long enough to process, but not long enough to justify anymore additional movement flourishes. The big part is the head and it snapping at you. I could understand how the lighting and effect starts to fall apart if you are staring at a video loop. Wish I could actually see what you guys are talking about to comment. Barbarosa is probably the most technically impressive at the resort, but the croc is the biggest.

There isn't a whole lot more to it from the other raft rides than having an impressive AA. I really can't quantify the differences if I'm being honest between Grizzly, Popeye and Roaring Rapids. I haven't ridden them frequently enough or close enough in time. It's like asking to pick what the best type of vanilla ice-cream is, but you can only sample one per year. All I really know is the Animal Kingdom one got left out in the sun.

Actually, I forgot that Singapore's JP is also a raft - maybe that's technically the best iteration. It's been too long since I did that to comment.

It definitely soaks you - but what raft ride doesn't.
Popeye's my favorite because of all the show scenes it has which is something all the others lack and you don't really need to experience in person to notice that.

Also, Barbarosa?

Stripes

Popeye's my favorite because of all the show scenes it has which is something all the others lack and you don't really need to experience in person to notice that.

Also, Barbarosa?
I think he means Davy Jones. My favorite has always been Grizzly. The theming on Popeye always struck me as too garish, similar to Dudley (Still, much better than Kali though which is utterly devoid of theming whatsoever :devilish:).

BasiltheBatLord

The alligator AA is cool (particularly impressive how he looks at you as you enter the cave and then snaps at you on the way out), but I agree that there shouldn't be sunlight in that room. It's probably better looking at night.

Phroobar

I prefer the first raft ride I ever went on. Roaring Rapids at Magic Mountain is pretty simplistic but has some really nice scenery and doesn't rely on gimics like at Disney or Universal. I also like Big Foot Rapids at Knotts for the same reasons.

brb1006

Good Morning America just did another Shanghai Disney segment a few minutes ago featuring Bob Over and the newswomen riding the attractions with more statements with Bob which she tells the rest if the needs gang.

Rich T

I prefer the first raft ride I ever went on. Roaring Rapids at Magic Mountain is pretty simplistic but has some really nice scenery and doesn't rely on gimics like at Disney or Universal. I also like Big Foot Rapids at Knotts for the same reasons.
Was Magic Mtn's the first in the U.S.? It's got that prototype feel to it; basically a rectangle layout that blasts riders with a firehose stream at the end (or at least did in its early years). That said, I do like the large rafts, the greenery, and the way that, even though it's just a rectangle, it feels like genuine river rapids.

Phroobar

Was Magic Mtn's the first in the U.S.? It's got that prototype feel to it; basically a rectangle layout that blasts riders with a firehose stream at the end (or at least did in its early years). That said, I do like the large rafts, the greenery, and the way that, even though it's just a rectangle, it feels like genuine river rapids.

It was the first one in the western US states. I believe it was first on the east coast.

SFMM_RRapids05-1024x768.jpg

six_flags_magic_mountain_water_raft.jpg

SFMM_RRapids10-1024x768.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom