Trip Report The (second) ONE with enhanced cleaning and (a little less) Physical Distancing. Sept 2020

How is everyone doing out there???

A little background on this trip. This trip was origionally booked as a Food and Wine/Birthday girls getaway with two of my friends. We booked The Poly at 7 months Thursday through Sunday. (One friend’s bday was Thurs, the other was Sunday! Sooooo perfect!!!)
Buuuuut, they are both teachers and were not allowed to go. (Read that again. Not Allowed☹️)
I had the reservation and I wanted to go. My friend, R and I had a trip in April we had canceled. We had rescheduled for October to do a Halloween party (Nope!) and a DVC moonlight madness (Nope again). Then, she lost her job😞 so she came back to work with me. Her Mom, Gpa and Uncle own the business.
“Hey R, want to go to Disney in September instead?”
“Yeah!”
“Should we add a night? I still have 18 points I can use.”
“Yeah”
“Do you think we can get the extra day off?”
She looks at me. I look at her. 😂😂😂
I mean, her Mom makes the schedule.

She booked her flight, bought her park tickets, made her park reservations and we were set.

Tuesday night, September 15th I caught the sunset and headed to bed for an early start the next morning.
0BA1156A-7A84-4688-9F0D-B1776EB0203D.jpeg

Wednesday, September 16 came early. R’s Gma was flying back to Ft Lauderdale an hour before our flight. So we all went together to help her out.

31465BB3-A810-47F5-9B2B-18869C01FCB2.jpeg

C2184A11-9C53-4234-BC1B-024AA92F5AD8.jpeg

We were not sitting together because our flights were booked seperately. I asked to move us together but I asked on the late side and it was a no go. It was fine. We watched movies. I love Jet Blue TV’s!
854A582D-036B-414E-87E3-C5A310C080A9.jpeg

2262DED4-42E8-4DDC-B7CC-C649DE8943D3.jpeg

Yay! The sign said 45 minute wait. The woman who checked us in pointed out the sign and said it “could” take 45 minutes.
EA7403DA-8F58-4B46-912D-ED39F571F321.jpeg

Overheard on the ME: “Mom, I dont want to go to the Magic Kingdom!”
“Where do you want to go?”
“Legoland!!”
Haha😂
Lets check the weather...
F4FB6121-A09D-4A53-88B9-5948D0D1A4A7.png

Notice my phone is only at 44%🤦🏼‍♀️
DECEBFC3-39D3-42ED-9FDF-13A3A9C21B1E.jpeg

Back of the bus. Not a 45 minute wait but about 20.
D633874A-1BD9-4877-93E2-1CE9628007CF.jpeg

Too far in the back of the bus to get THE SIGN. How about the side of the road? Almost as good???

For the record, we went to Wilderness Lodge, BLT, the Contemporary and then The Polynesian.

We finally made it and were ready to let the fun begin!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Teens are more likely to drink at home or in the park than in bars (way cheaper) so consequently you don‘t really see them in bars. You might see them a bit more frequently in cafés where wine and beer is sold, but in those types of places it’d be more about hanging out with friends than getting drunk.

And university here is very different, many don’t have « residential » campuses as we are used to in the States. There is student housing, but tends to be spread out around the city so there isn’t really any central gathering place on campus. Plus, there is no fraternity or sorority system, so no « wild » parties.

The nice thing about living in a small city is that most drinking is done within walking distance of home, so there isn’t the added stress of drinking and driving.

The fact that they can legally drink at a younger age means that they also start drinking at a younger age 😉. Again, I’ve had to be vigilant and also a bit stricter about letting my teen spend the night at a friend’s house, because I quickly caught on that that is synonymous with going to a party without mom knowing. When she is vague on details, the answer is no. When she can be specific, it is usually a legit request 😉.

Luckily for me, her current circle of friends have chosen our neighborhood - and really our corner of the neighborhood - as their hangout spot and I have several “spies” that report back to me. And I have been known to decide to go for a run or to the grocery store just to see what is going on. Though the going to the grocery store won’t work after the end of this month because we will be moving into the same building as the grocery store, though I think I’ll be able to open the kitchen window to hear what they are up to 😊
Thanks.
And Good luck with the move!

Songbird76

Just wondering, do 16 year olds go to bars? Is it normal or common place or just “legal”? Also, do parent’s tell their, legal drinkers, “no drinking!” Is that a thing???

Lastly, do you think the young drinking age benefits them in the future? For example, the wild drinking is out of their system before they hit university? Or, do you think it causes them to start drinking earlier???

Sorry for all the questions but things like this interest me.

@Songbird76 feel free to offer up your answers as well.
Well, they moved the drinking age to 18 here because it was a problem...the 16 year olds were drinking way too much and there was a large number of teens being admitted to the hospital with alcohol poisoning. I'm not sure about where they did the drinking, but at 16 they could only drink the softer alcoholic drinks like beer or wine. Not hard liquor. But part of the problem over here is that some kids are done with high school at 16. Our schools are tiered. Not every kid will go to university...only the best students can go to University. Most kids will go to a trade school or a community college, and those kids only have 4 years of secondary education. At the end of elementary school, you take an exam like US kids take SATs or ACTs, and it tells you which level of school you can go to. Most kids will be in one of the lower levels that only do 4 years, so they end up in "college" at 16. But like @Swissmiss said, there is student housing, and depending on the size of the town where they go to school, or how close it is to where their parents live, some will be independent at 16 and others will live at home and take a bus or the train to school each day. But if they are living on their own, you have no control over what they are doing and whether or not they are drinking.

So a couple of years ago, there was an increase in the number of teens they were seeing with alcohol poisoning. So the government decided to increase the age at which you could be finished with school, and increase the drinking age. Previously, you only had to go to school until you got your high school diploma. Every child HAS to be in school from the time they are 5, and if you are not in school when it is in session, you get in big trouble. (no Disney trips in the middle of the school year!) But once you finished high school, you were done. You weren't required to do any further schooling...so if you graduated at 16, you could just go out and get a job or sponge off your parents, or whatever. Now, you have to go to school until you are 18. So if you are done with high school at 16, you have to take some sort of college/trade school classes until you are 18 OR you have a degree of some sort. I'm not sure if it has helped with the alcohol problems or not. My daughter is 14 and is in the highest level of school...she's a huge nerd and so far has had no interest in either dating, partying, or alcohol/drugs. (Weed is legal here, too, so that's a whole other kettle of fish with 18 year olds) My son just turned 13 last week, and he is in the 2nd highest level of high school because he's in special education which doesn't offer the highest level. But while he's chronologically 13, emotionally, he's more like a 7 year old....not at all interested in teenage stuff. He still wants stuffed animals for Christmas. So I'm not the best judge of "normal" teenager activity.

But I know 20 years ago, no, kids didn't have it out of their systems by University. My husband tells stories about the time he was so drunk that he got on his bike to go home and fell off because he forgot to pedal. But, the driving age is 18 here, too, and it is EXPENSIVE to get a license, so you do have a lot less drunk driving here. Most 18 year olds don't have a license yet, so they take public transportation or they ride their bikes. My husband also tells the story of the time he and his buddies went out and his friend fell asleep in the train and they couldn't wake him up when they got home, so they fireman carried him out and left him on a bench to sober up. He woke up there the next morning. That was 20 or so years ago, university Engineering students. So I'm guessing the earlier drinking age doesn't help....and that was back when they could already drink at 16. Most of them don't drink the harder stuff anyway.

They actually banned alcohol sales after 8:00pm here since Corona, because students were gathering in large groups in parks or wherever because all the bars and restaurants were closed. So they'd get together and drink at someone's house, or in a park...police were having to break up huge parties with hundreds of students and then 2 weeks later, there'd be a huge surge of Covid cases wherever that party was. I think it's pretty much the same whether you're in the US or in Europe...there are kids who are going to party, whether they do it legally or not. I grew up in Wyoming, and I never had alcohol until I was 21, and I have been drunk 3 times in my life, 2 of them in one week when I was on vacation in Canada. Now, if I have 5 drinks in a year, it's a lot. I'm not a partier and I don't like the taste of alcohol, so if I can taste it, I won't drink it. But my brother and his family more often than not have blood in their alcohol systems. So it's really not got much to do with the age, I don't think.

Sorry....that was probably a little more information than you were asking for, but it all relates.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Well, they moved the drinking age to 18 here because it was a problem...the 16 year olds were drinking way too much and there was a large number of teens being admitted to the hospital with alcohol poisoning. I'm not sure about where they did the drinking, but at 16 they could only drink the softer alcoholic drinks like beer or wine. Not hard liquor. But part of the problem over here is that some kids are done with high school at 16. Our schools are tiered. Not every kid will go to university...only the best students can go to University. Most kids will go to a trade school or a community college, and those kids only have 4 years of secondary education. At the end of elementary school, you take an exam like US kids take SATs or ACTs, and it tells you which level of school you can go to. Most kids will be in one of the lower levels that only do 4 years, so they end up in "college" at 16. But like @Swissmiss said, there is student housing, and depending on the size of the town where they go to school, or how close it is to where their parents live, some will be independent at 16 and others will live at home and take a bus or the train to school each day. But if they are living on their own, you have no control over what they are doing and whether or not they are drinking.

So a couple of years ago, there was an increase in the number of teens they were seeing with alcohol poisoning. So the government decided to increase the age at which you could be finished with school, and increase the drinking age. Previously, you only had to go to school until you got your high school diploma. Every child HAS to be in school from the time they are 5, and if you are not in school when it is in session, you get in big trouble. (no Disney trips in the middle of the school year!) But once you finished high school, you were done. You weren't required to do any further schooling...so if you graduated at 16, you could just go out and get a job or sponge off your parents, or whatever. Now, you have to go to school until you are 18. So if you are done with high school at 16, you have to take some sort of college/trade school classes until you are 18 OR you have a degree of some sort. I'm not sure if it has helped with the alcohol problems or not. My daughter is 14 and is in the highest level of school...she's a huge nerd and so far has had no interest in either dating, partying, or alcohol/drugs. (Weed is legal here, too, so that's a whole other kettle of fish with 18 year olds) My son just turned 13 last week, and he is in the 2nd highest level of high school because he's in special education which doesn't offer the highest level. But while he's chronologically 13, emotionally, he's more like a 7 year old....not at all interested in teenage stuff. He still wants stuffed animals for Christmas. So I'm not the best judge of "normal" teenager activity.

But I know 20 years ago, no, kids didn't have it out of their systems by University. My husband tells stories about the time he was so drunk that he got on his bike to go home and fell off because he forgot to pedal. But, the driving age is 18 here, too, and it is EXPENSIVE to get a license, so you do have a lot less drunk driving here. Most 18 year olds don't have a license yet, so they take public transportation or they ride their bikes. My husband also tells the story of the time he and his buddies went out and his friend fell asleep in the train and they couldn't wake him up when they got home, so they fireman carried him out and left him on a bench to sober up. He woke up there the next morning. That was 20 or so years ago, university Engineering students. So I'm guessing the earlier drinking age doesn't help....and that was back when they could already drink at 16. Most of them don't drink the harder stuff anyway.

They actually banned alcohol sales after 8:00pm here since Corona, because students were gathering in large groups in parks or wherever because all the bars and restaurants were closed. So they'd get together and drink at someone's house, or in a park...police were having to break up huge parties with hundreds of students and then 2 weeks later, there'd be a huge surge of Covid cases wherever that party was. I think it's pretty much the same whether you're in the US or in Europe...there are kids who are going to party, whether they do it legally or not. I grew up in Wyoming, and I never had alcohol until I was 21, and I have been drunk 3 times in my life, 2 of them in one week when I was on vacation in Canada. Now, if I have 5 drinks in a year, it's a lot. I'm not a partier and I don't like the taste of alcohol, so if I can taste it, I won't drink it. But my brother and his family more often than not have blood in their alcohol systems. So it's really not got much to do with the age, I don't think.

Sorry....that was probably a little more information than you were asking for, but it all relates.
That was thorough and amazing. Thank you!

Songbird76

That was thorough and amazing. Thank you!
I'm interested in that kind of stuff, too. Different cultures, how schools work, etc. It was all very confusing when I moved over here until I had kids going to school. Now it makes sense. But I do find it really interesting how different countries do different things.

They have banned fireworks this New Years. (That's a "thing" here....fireworks at midnight on New Years) because they are afraid people will congregate to watch/set off fireworks, and they don't want to clog up emergency rooms with fireworks injuries when they are already clogged with covid patients. And they are going to have extra police out to make sure rules are followed. We go into lockdown tonight and you can't have more than 2 people outside your household anywhere...I'm wondering if that's going to help or if people will find places to hold "underground" parties with tons of alcohol, etc. But all non-essential stores have to close until January 19th now, so perhaps people won't be able to buy alcohol to have underground parties. Unless there was a run on alcohol tonight before the 8pm ban on alcohol sales. 🤷‍♀️
seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm interested in that kind of stuff, too. Different cultures, how schools work, etc. It was all very confusing when I moved over here until I had kids going to school. Now it makes sense. But I do find it really interesting how different countries do different things.

They have banned fireworks this New Years. (That's a "thing" here....fireworks at midnight on New Years) because they are afraid people will congregate to watch/set off fireworks, and they don't want to clog up emergency rooms with fireworks injuries when they are already clogged with covid patients. And they are going to have extra police out to make sure rules are followed. We go into lockdown tonight and you can't have more than 2 people outside your household anywhere...I'm wondering if that's going to help or if people will find places to hold "underground" parties with tons of alcohol, etc. But all non-essential stores have to close until January 19th now, so perhaps people won't be able to buy alcohol to have underground parties. Unless there was a run on alcohol tonight before the 8pm ban on alcohol sales. 🤷‍♀️
Thank goodness here in the good ole USA alcohol is still considered essential😉

Speaking of, I am working on a signature cocktail for Christmas (I do one every year) and have been trying out a few recipes. Last night was a pomegranate margarita. Good but it wont really go with the food. Tonight I will be making Drunk Jack Frosties. I will report back.

Laurensl

Which state do you live in? Just curious.

Songbird76

Thank goodness here in the good ole USA alcohol is still considered essential😉

Speaking of, I am working on a signature cocktail for Christmas (I do one every year) and have been trying out a few recipes. Last night was a pomegranate margarita. Good but it wont really go with the food. Tonight I will be making Drunk Jack Frosties. I will report back.
I find it amusing that alcohol is considered essential in the US, but here I am living in total beer country, and it's not essential here!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I find it amusing that alcohol is considered essential in the US, but here I am living in total beer country, and it's not essential here!

That’s interesting. Is it not sold in grocery stores? They have had to block off the “non essential” shelves in our grocery stores when we’ve been shut down (things like playing cards, pens, etc) but the alcohol shelves were left accessible 😀.

Songbird76

That’s interesting. Is it not sold in grocery stores? They have had to block off the “non essential” shelves in our grocery stores when we’ve been shut down (things like playing cards, pens, etc) but the alcohol shelves were left accessible 😀.
Some do, yes, but then no alcohol sales after 8pm, and mostly what's sold in grocery stores is beer and wine...not the harder stuff. Our store does have a miniscule liquor store in the main entrance, but I'm not sure that's open right now? I haven't been to the store today yet.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
It gets high marks for looking festive 🥳...and you could always try giving a bit of a longer pour of the good stuff for batch #2 🍸🍸

And is that the WDW monorail around the tree in the background?
You are right! I could add more Tito’s but it tasted like the same old same old. I want something new, different, exciting! You know, the opposite of life the past few months. (And probably upcoming months as well)

And yes, it is a monorail around our tree. (Not pictured are the non physically distanced character all crammed in the first car😂😂😂)

tommcp516

Reporting back...
So good!
View attachment 518824
Looks dee-lish!!

During the final season of Game of Thrones, we took turns with our friends hosting viewing parties each week for every episode, with GoT-inspired snacks and cocktails. The crowd favorite was a little concoction that I came up with called "Wildfire":
pic1.jpg

Just pour some 151-proof rum on top, add flame, and voila...!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom