The Reason Why I Can’t Criticize Bob Chapek

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I totally disagree with the conclusion…”access to capital” isn’t there problem at all. Is a crisis Of brand recognition and poor management.

But I did enjoy the “thought exercise” nonetheless 👍🏻
Well going private wouldn't necessarily solve either of those anyways. But I disagree with the assessment that there is a crisis of brand recognition. We can maybe agree on the poor management, especially when it comes to the Parks. But overall I think the company is at an inflection point as it continues to gear up to better compete in the streaming wars.

Either way, yes I enjoyed the discussion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well going private wouldn't necessarily solve either of those anyways. But I disagree with the assessment that there is a crisis of brand recognition. We can maybe agree on the poor management, especially when it comes to the Parks. But overall I think the company is at an inflection point as it continues to gear up to better compete in the streaming wars.

Either way, yes I enjoyed the discussion.
The future isn’t all about streaming…but point taken.

Ghost93

Business wise, shareholder value wise, it’s probably best to have a Chapek type in charge. There will always be super creative folks to think up very cool stuff, but there needs to be a miser who can control the spending.

Sort of like Walt and his brother.

This is even more important today since every move TWDC makes is to try to better the share price.

Does this hinder the creativity? YES. Does this result in TWDC making decisions a lot of fans disagree with? YES.

But as bad as the decisions look to a lot of fans, the decisions made are truly in a attempt to make TWDC stronger for its most important entity, the shareholder.
I think it's all about balance and the fear is that Chapek is stifling creativity TOO much. It's good to have someone reign in unwise spending and be fiscally responsible, but Chapek's reputation is that of a penny pincher who makes the experience at Disney parks worse for all guests.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it's all about balance and the fear is that Chapek is stifling creativity TOO much. It's good to have someone reign in unwise spending and be fiscally responsible, but Chapek's reputation is that of a penny pincher who makes the experience at Disney parks worse for all guests.
The idea that a creative company should have a ceo with zero track record In creativity is antithetical

Iger was not but at least he knew talent, contracts and navigating Hollywood back channels

This guy is simply a peddler…nothing more

Resume

ImperfectPixie

The idea that a creative company should have a ceo with zero track record In creativity is antithetical

Iger was not but at least he knew talent, contracts and navigating Hollywood back channels

This guy is simply a **** peddler…nothing more

Resume
The head of a creative company needs to understand how their choices affect the end result - and he clearly doesn't. The parks aren't a line of dolls that will still be well-received even if the quality of the hair is slightly lesser or if the number of included accessories are reduced.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

This guy is simply a **** peddler…nothing more

Resume
Disney has had a total of 7 CEOs in its almost 100 year history, arguably none of them really had a background in creativity.

Disstevefan1

I agree. There is plenty of creativity but Chapek is not allowing the parks to spend MONEY to allow that creativity to be fully recognized. All projects start with a beautiful concept rendering; then the cost cutting begins. Its super easy to blame it on the pandemic.

As for the guest experience, at for example WDW, as long as WDW continues to see the revenge vacationers and WDW remains MOBBED, nothing needs to change.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually Ron Miller did…even though it was nepotism…

But he and everyone prior was “self trained”

One guy was very creative by experience/pedigree
Ron Miller was a pro football player who was force into the Studios by Walt. Depending on your perspective of what came out during his time as CEO will determine on if you think he had even a small amount of creativity in his body or whether it was really the people around him that propped him up. Obviously Roy didn't think he was creative enough as he lead his ousting for Eisner.

Card Walker was sort of creative if you count his time at the Studios before WWII, after WWII he went into Marketing before moving up the ladder to CEO.

And Donn Tatum was a lawyer with some background in TV as general counsel, and as a station general manager.

So really except for the minor exposure that Ron and Card had, none of them had any real creative background. In reality the CEO just needs creative people around them (and listen to them), not to be creative themselves.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ron Miller was a pro football player who was force into the Studios by Walt. Depending on your perspective of what came out during his time as CEO will determine on if you think he had even a small amount of creativity in his body or whether it was really the people around him that propped him up. Obviously Roy didn't think he was creative enough as he lead his ousting for Eisner.

Card Walker was sort of creative if you count his time at the Studios before WWII, after WWII he went into Marketing before moving up the ladder to CEO.

And Donn Tatum was a lawyer with some background in TV as general counsel, and as a station general manager.

So really except for the minor exposure that Ron and Card had, none of them had any real creative background. In reality the CEO just needs creative people around them (and listen to them), not to be creative themselves.
Right…all pencilnecks that worked at the Disney store…all hail Bob!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right…all pencilnecks that worked at the Disney store…all hail Bob!
Honestly I don't really care if Chapek stays, he can go at this point since he appears to be so divisive among a lot of groups. But my point has been and will continue to be that a creative CEO is not what the company needs or should have. So replace Chapek, I don't care, but it will be another business sided person, not creative.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly I don't really care if Chapek stays, he can go at this point since he appears to be so divisive among a lot of groups. But my point has been and will continue to be that a creative CEO is not what the company needs or should have. So replace Chapek, I don't care, but it will be another business sided person, not creative.
Agree to disagree

As a fan. I couldn’t give a rat’s about what ratings agency or “analysts” want. Because even though I have a decent chunk in the portfolio…TWDC is not something you “retire on”. You have to enjoy it for what it was/is or you're on the wrong board And need to follow the yellow brick road somewhere else.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agree to disagree

As a fan. I couldn’t give a rat’s about what ratings agency or “analysts” want. Because even though I have a decent chunk in the portfolio…TWDC is not something you “retire on”. You have to enjoy it for what it was/is or you're on the wrong board And need to follow the yellow brick road somewhere else.
That is where I'll disagree.

As a shareholder I want the best value for my investment.

As a fan I want the most investment into the company.

They are not competing forces, and a CEO can and should balance both.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is where I'll disagree.

As a shareholder I want the best value for my investment.

As a fan I want the most investment into the company.

They are not competing forces, and a CEO can and should balance both.
Great…no problem with differing opinions.

I just equate Disney “fans” that quote applied Econ to it and worry about “yield” to the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates: bad for fans.

Sometimes math doesn’t cover everything. And with me it usually does…so I don’t say that lightly.

FettFan

Hi,
I know a lot of you criticize the current CEO Bob Chapek for things he’s done, but the truth is, I can’t criticize him. I know you guys are going to make fun of me, but here’s my reason why I can’t criticize. I’ve been a fan of Disney since I was kid and I will never hate it. When I’m in 20’s I started to criticize the executives for being a bunch of greedy people for ending hand drawn animated films and making Mickey Mouse and Friends being aimed for preschoolers. And I’ve been obsessing about it for a long time, until I reach my 30’s, I realize that hating and obsessing at the executives is very unhealthy of my mental health and I sometimes I have a headache for it. Look, I’m not doing this to defend Bob Chapek. I just don’t want to complain about him. Do I think he’s perfect? No. Do I think he’s my number one choice? Not quite. But, for one thing I know is I need to hear on what he wants to do with the company first before passing judgement. Y’all are welcome to criticize Bob Chapek all you want, but hating on executives (Even though I can disagree with them from time to time) is bad for my mental health. I hope you all understand. Thank you.

“I really can’t criticize Bruce Ismay until I know what he wants to do with the company.”

Bruce Ismay:

1_BruceIsmay.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom