The Preferred Gesture

loveofamouse

i limit phone use, but, honestly, that comes naturally. For me, I tend to pull my phone out for games or checking FB only if I'm bored. I'm rarely bored so I don't much.

Last few trips, it's been limiting photos. I'm a shutterbug, but wasn't even taking much pics of the kids, just random cool things I'd see or find. But, then, I don't share them because, well, they're of nothing.

no talking of home. no talking of annoying people back home, petty neighbors, bills, work (unless it's funny), etc. no stresses brought along

no talking about money. this is mainly my husband. any other day of the year, I'm the one watching the numbers and doing the calculations of what we can and can not afford. When we are on vacation, though (or at the mall), he tries to tell me not to spend this or that is too expensive or blah blah blah which would annoy the crap outta me as I'm the one who actually knows the numbers. So he's not allowed to bring it up.

We try not to over plan our days which is actually being made difficult with FP+. We, usually, just go with the flow. Our last trip and one day trip were the only times weve ever even used ADRs.

New thing is to do ADRs. Weve done breakfast at 1900PF and one breakfast at B&Y and enjoyed them. For our next trip, I have chef mickey and SFDI booked. may add more

NiarrNDisney

Not rushing and trying to have more patience!

I always have my phone on me. I've never felt it takes away from anything...great way to get some adorable pics. I also don't play games on my phone, so maybe thats why? IDK! Sitting in down time, I can load a pic to Instagram and keep the grandparents/parents updated on our trip.

Totally agree! I myself am not a huge phone person however my phone is my main camera (Nokia Lumia 1020 41 mega pixel phone) I do have a facebook account that I post pictures to during down time so my friends and family have a little update about my trip. Also I have a couple Apps that help while navigating the parks but otherwise unless my group has separated and I need to make a quick call to find them I do not bother answering my phone.

Last edited:

loveofamouse

I started challenging myself to find things that I have noticed. I started doing this with my family, too. And makes for a whole new experience.
For example, I ask DD to point our things she has never seen before on rides such as IASW. It encourages her & us to look around in different directions & we see so much more!

We did one whole trip of "New." We went to attractions we usually walk past and restaurants that weren't our "norm." Made for more stories, jokes, and fun

Tom

Beta Return
On our last trip we were on the safari at AK and a mom in front of us was texting the whole time while her little boy kept trying to get her attention and point out all the animals. He was so excited and she was too busy on her stupid phone to pay attention to him in DISNEY WORLD!! He eventually gave up and looked so sad. She never even looked up. It was one of the saddest things I have seen.

Parenting fail.

HouCuseChickie

I really just try to ignore the outside world. I have a DSLR that I carry around (since taking pictures enhances the trip experience for me), so the only time my phone comes out is if I need to use a Disney related app. If I do check in from Facebook, it's usually when we're back at the room. That was one of the issues that bugged me with our last trip...I had to spend several days dealing with phone calls from the outside world related to the bad car accident we'd been in while on our way to the airport. It's hard to really enjoy the magic bubble to it's fullest when you're dealing with ugly things in the real world :(

Soarin2u

For older kids, allow family time and free time. This is rule that runs though out our whole family tree. When the kids get older, they want some freedom to ride that coaster, or take a snack break there etc.
My parents had always let us do this. My sister and I would run off and enjoy the parks our own way and then meet up for our ADR's where we hang out as us four for the rest of the night. Now not everyday would we leave them but on the occasion where our desire differed from theirs, we had the ability to accomplish it. No, "IT'S VACATION AND THAT MEAN FAMILY TIME!" in our household. But we know the guidelines, stay in the same park and be sure to contact where we are at, at each hour interval. Normally by the second hour, we meet up again.
So this means I do carry my phone around the park, but I never use it because I'm to afraid it will die and lose the ability to contact my family!

Britt

I really just try to ignore the outside world. I have a DSLR that I carry around (since taking pictures enhances the trip experience for me), so the only time my phone comes out is if I need to use a Disney related app. If I do check in from Facebook, it's usually when we're back at the room. That was one of the issues that bugged me with our last trip...I had to spend several days dealing with phone calls from the outside world related to the bad car accident we'd been in while on our way to the airport. It's hard to really enjoy the magic bubble to it's fullest when you're dealing with ugly things in the real world :(
This is me too. Pictures hugely enhance my experience...and my kids and husband spend hours with me pouring over the pics. We haven't been since 2012 and my family and I look at pics frequently, laughing about em! :D

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

This is me too. Pictures hugely enhance my experience...and my kids and husband spend hours with my pouring over the pics. We haven't been since 2012 and my family and I look at pics frequently, laughing about em! :D

Exactly! I kind of look at all of my pictures as souvenirs. We're not big into shopping while on vacay, but having all of these photographs of our happy memories are my favorite mementos to bring home from our trips. :)

SyracuseDisneyFan

I do have a very bad habit of texting constantly while I'm at Disney. Usually, I'm just texting whoever didn't come to check on my fur siblings (1 dog and 2 cats). I do miss my fur siblings while I'm gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom