The Preferred Gesture

Big C 73

Original Poster
Just as the detail which is embedded in Walt Disney World, there are details that abound to which are related to our preferred self. We develop a personal discipline, rather a guideline to which we abide while exploring Walt Disney World which appear to enrich such personal experiences, or so is it to our conscience. A personal discipline would be to not allow myself to use a cell phone while exploring the parks because I withhold a personal belief that it distracts from the composed environment, and prohibits one from immersing themselves into the sought design. I also have other preferred guidelines when visiting Walt Disney World. To what guidelines or personal disciplines do you adhere to while visiting Walt Disney World that you believe "assist" your overall experience?

sissa216

Definitely to relax and soak everything in.

I am also very much against spending vacation looking down at my phone. I'll post an occasional picture on FB in some downtime- but I could never understand why people spend their entire day "checking in" at every attraction, gift shop, and restaurant- I'd much rather be in the moment and enjoying time with my family!

When I first heard of FP+ and the integration of technology, I was very wary and disappointed that I would have to be connected and checking my phone now.
However, it couldn't have gone more smoothly in our case. We had a very good experience with FP+. Setting things up ahead of time means I'm not scrambling the day of, either to arrange them on my phone, or to run across the park. If I want to change something, taking a 5 minute break to sit down and edit our plans takes less time and energy than rushing to get a FP at an attraction.

For the first few days, I did find myself constantly unlocking my phone, opening the app, and looking up our next FP- until my young siblings realized it would be so much quicker to take a screenshot of our daily plans each morning, and save it as my lock screen. I thought it was the most simple, most genius idea- and makes our day so easy.

Britt

Not rushing and trying to have more patience!

I always have my phone on me. I've never felt it takes away from anything...great way to get some adorable pics. I also don't play games on my phone, so maybe thats why? IDK! Sitting in down time, I can load a pic to Instagram and keep the grandparents/parents updated on our trip.

sissa216

That's about the same as me @Britt - but I see people with their noses to the screen the entire time, not engaged with their family at all. I try to be in the moment as much as possible :)

iluvMainStMagic

One thing I do like to use my phone for (that has nothing to do with MM+) is taking pictures to send to my sister. We both love WDW and it's a way I can "share" my trip with her a little bit. Sometimes we play a "where is this" game where one of us takes a picture and the other has to figure out where it is. If I plan to do that, I try not to say what park we're going to that morning. I must say, she's pretty good at it, and she shares the pics with a co-worker who loves WDW, and we all have some fun :happy:

Dog Ate Mouse

For one thing is we leave the cell phones in the suitcase in our resort room. We roll with the punches and if it gets a little crazy or we want to do something we always have park hopper tickets and do exactly that, park hop. We do not rush and the only thing I do need to do is have a little more patience for getting to a parade erly and waiting at the spot and people trying to move us out of our place so there family can be there.

Last edited:

skimbob

I meet so many people from all over and to me that is fun. People see me alone and they will strike up a conversation with me and sometimes i start the converarion. I don't carry a phone around and all my FP+ times are all on a little sheet of paper I carry in my pocket. I go low tech and enjoy the scenery. I have a blast every time I go and I have memories I will have for the rest of my life. I also try to make a trip magical for another guest by doing something totally Disney.

Ember

That's about the same as me @Britt - but I see people with their noses to the screen the entire time, not engaged with their family at all. I try to be in the moment as much as possible :)
On our last trip we were on the safari at AK and a mom in front of us was texting the whole time while her little boy kept trying to get her attention and point out all the animals. He was so excited and she was too busy on her stupid phone to pay attention to him in DISNEY WORLD!! He eventually gave up and looked so sad. She never even looked up. It was one of the saddest things I have seen.

sissa216

On our last trip we were on the safari at AK and a mom in front of us was texting the whole time while her little boy kept trying to get her attention and point out all the animals. He was so excited and she was too busy on her stupid phone to pay attention to him in DISNEY WORLD!! He eventually gave up and looked so sad. She never even looked up. It was one of the saddest things I have seen.

Aw! That breaks my heart. That's what I'm talking about- there's definitely a use for technology and phones, but these are the examples I'm talking about.

3Caballeros

I started challenging myself to find things that I have not noticed. I started doing this with my family, too. And makes for a whole new experience.
For example, I ask DD to point our things she has never seen before on rides such as IASW. It encourages her & us to look around in different directions & we see so much more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom