The Physics Club: Roller-Coaster Designs & More...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Alright, so I'll start just with energy as that is probably the most important thing and the simplest thing to look at with roller coasters. I'll try to do posts on Banked turns, wether effects, and maybe even friction throughout the day. So, the equations @spacemt354 'a original post were not wrong, but they included ptential spring energy and really don't apply to roller coasters usually. Which is good! Our equation is much simpler!
6ZOJ4PEh.jpg
Energy in equals energy out. The total amount of energy in a system in a vacuum is constant. The energy is divided in potential energy (due to gravity) and kinetic energy (due to motion). So, the equations for Ein and Eout are below.
5UFyPpAh.jpg

Potential energy is at its max when velocity is zero and height is at its highest. Usually, the peak point in a roller coaster can be thought of that way. Kinetic Energy is at its highest when velocity is at its highest at the lowest height of the coaster. Below is a sketch of a roller coaster starting at max height, going to max velocity, and returning to max height.
5AYNGljh.jpg

Now, something is wrong with this picture. A real life coaster can't return to its max height like that. It loses speed. Why does it lose speed? Because it loses energy due to friction and wind resistence! So, when we aren't in a vacuum, our equations for Ein and Eout must be modified.
3NItFDVh.jpg

Now, solving E_lost mathematically is very complicated and can involve a lot of Newtonian physics and complicated sfiance stuffs I won't go into here.

BUT now that we have our full equations for Ein and Eout, we can plug in for KE and PE to get our final equations.
SV155Xqh.jpg

Which can be used to find the velocity or height of the coaster at any point if we know energy lost. Say you want your coast to be a certain height to go over a tree, you can figure out how fast you need to be going to make it too that height AND how high the coaster needs to start to get that speed!
lhjmmtBh.jpg

Bottom line, roller coasters are cool! And, to colossal geeks like me, physics is cool too!
Very impressive work! Haha well done

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Now, something is wrong with this picture. A real life coaster can't return to its max height like that. It loses speed. Why does it lose speed? Because it loses energy due to friction and wind resistence! So, when we aren't in a vacuum, our equations for Ein and Eout must be modified.
3NItFDVh.jpg

Let's get into Friction

Static vs Kinetic

I'm studying for the MCAT so I actually need to know this stuff:p

21stamps

Alright, so I'll start just with energy as that is probably the most important thing and the simplest thing to look at with roller coasters. I'll try to do posts on Banked turns, wether effects, and maybe even friction throughout the day. So, the equations @spacemt354 'a original post were not wrong, but they included ptential spring energy and really don't apply to roller coasters usually. Which is good! Our equation is much simpler!
6ZOJ4PEh.jpg
Energy in equals energy out. The total amount of energy in a system in a vacuum is constant. The energy is divided in potential energy (due to gravity) and kinetic energy (due to motion). So, the equations for Ein and Eout are below.
5UFyPpAh.jpg

Potential energy is at its max when velocity is zero and height is at its highest. Usually, the peak point in a roller coaster can be thought of that way. Kinetic Energy is at its highest when velocity is at its highest at the lowest height of the coaster. Below is a sketch of a roller coaster starting at max height, going to max velocity, and returning to max height.
5AYNGljh.jpg

3NItFDVh.jpg

Now, solving E_lost mathematically is very complicated and can involve a lot of Newtonian physics and complicated sfiance stuffs I won't go into here.

BUT now that we have our full equations for Ein and Eout, we can plug in for KE and PE to get our final equations.
SV155Xqh.jpg

Which can be used to find the velocity or height of the coaster at any point if we know energy lost. Say you want your coast to be a certain height to go over a tree, you can figure out how fast you need to be going to make it too that height AND how high the coaster needs to start to get that speed!
lhjmmtBh.jpg

Bottom line, roller coasters are cool! And, to colossal geeks like me, physics is cool too!

I just got a little cyber crush on you. ;)

Job well done!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Lol I actually do tutor this stuff! Mostly college algebra, pre-calc, trig, physics 1, and physics 2, but I've done some other subjects too (even some none STEM subjects like public speaking!) I'll get started on friction when i get back from the store
So I guess if we have a Physics challenge in The Creator Games then you'll dominate haha

That's cool, man. Looks great on applications. I used to be a TA for Systems Phys. in college. It gives you a different perspective from the other side.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Science Behind Body Wars - Part 1
a2d564463783b33cf1eade914b037367.jpg

(this is the "& More" part of this thread :p)

The main purpose of the attraction was to shrink down beneath the surface of the human body to study the Immune System

The Immune System is essentially your body's defense mechanisms, against pathogens, bacteria, disease.
- The Skin, largest organ in the body, is the physical barrier and secretes antimicrobial compounds such as defensin. That's an easy name to remember:p
- Mucus traps pathogens and in the respiratory system - musuc is propelled up by the cilia. Hence why when you cough up mucus, that's a good thing, you're getting rid of the pathogens.
- There are also cellular defenses such as macrophages, natural killer cells, as well as granulocytes such as ...

Neutrophils, Eosinophils, Basophils, and so on. The final 3 are part of your body's "White Blood Cells" among others.
220px-Blausen_0909_WhiteBloodCells.png

Each has a slightly different function - but all are grouped as white blood cells that are the body's defense system against invading substances, typically causing inflammation or redness of the skin in the process.

For instance, eosinophils are typically seen in allergic reactions. If you have a spring allergy to pollen, eosinophils release histamine which causes the inflammation in your nostrils and gives you the allergy.

Hence why you take an "anti-histamine" as allergy medication to bring down the imflammation caused by histamine. :bookworm:

These are all part of the innate immunity - which is what the ride is focused on. There is a more specific immunity called "adaptive immunity" but that gets complicated.

------------------------

2:58 in the video

"You will be traveling to the sub-skin region"

latest

I don't believe it is called that:p -- subcutaneous or subdermal depending on how far down you go they could have said..but that is a nitpick...moving on.

--------------------------------------

4:00 in the video

"I'm here to study the inflammatory response of neutrophils as they react to invading bacteria."

Neutrophils?...inflammatory response?:geek: We just went over that!:eek:

Good job, Disney!:D

Onto Part 2...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Science Behind Body Wars - Part 2

4:30 -- Captain Braddock?...he's Eric Stratton from Animal House:p
488a00e200b6bf56509e69eb36949d88.jpg

He asks the scientist located inside the body what the "weather is like"

She responds "98.6 actually it's a little warmer by the infection site"

Right again Disney!

Have you ever gotten a bug bite or a rash, and noticed the area around it was a bit warm? That's the white blood cells rushing to the site, increased blood flow to the site, increases the temperature of the specific area where the bacteria or infection is, so the WBCs can act quicker.

5:40 - there's a kid with a Figment hat on in the safety video

9:21 - "Entry is set at 200 microns" - this is how small your ship will shrink to.

For a comparison 200 microns (10-6) = 200,000 nanometers (10-9). And most parts of cells are measured in nanometers...so while you are small...the cells of the body are much smaller.

You see in the video, the WBC's attaching onto the splinter...all good so far!:geek:

10:21

"Hang on, I'm being pulled into a capillary"

That's a feasible phenomenon.
slide_25.jpg

Capillaries are among the least pressure filled regions of the circulatory system...meaning if you were sucked into one, the pressure wouldn't crush you, theoretically.

I'm being pulled toward the heart

Also makes sense

fig2.gif

She's probably in a metarteriole -- and got pulled into a venule, which travels to the heart.

I can't make out the dialogue but I think the on-board comms guy says something about "Watch your pressure"

:eek::D Yes! It gets more pressure filled as you travel towards the heart!

"I'm in the Left Ventricle"

biol-121-chp-20-the-cardiovascular-system-the-heart-40-638.jpg

Venules turn into veins so it's plausible she could have been pulled into a pulmonary vein, and now into the left ventricle.

The flapping part that your ship goes through is the mitral valve opening and closing.

You head through another valve - the aortic valve...and head towards the lungs as the narration says.

-------------------

11:30 in the video.

Once you rescue Dr. Lair in the lung, she climbs aboard, but you need an energy boost.

She says "The brain, it runs on electrical impulses"
3d6f756ad7a21989f61921f63b296a89.jpg

11:50

"Okay we're in the heart's left atrium"

Check the chart again...pulmonary veins from the lungs end up in the left atrium!

"Okay, we're in the cerebral artery, taking us to the brain."

ArteryHead.jpg

That is also, true...but a bit more complicated than they make it seem. Once you're in the left atrium, you can't just turn around and bounce off the heart...lol...you need to ride it around to catch the subclavian artery which connects like a superhighway to other arteries and going towards the brain.

12:21

"We're going to have to pass through the Blood Brain Barrier"
BloodBrainBarrier.png

It's feasible.

"Cerebral cortex, we're inside the brain!"

87924dd9a1d3dda846e7646952b2338d.png

"This neuron better fire"

Neurons are the cells of the brain that create action potentials via electrical impulses. Action potentials drive many of the engines of the brain...and the action potential in this instance gives the MET crew the impulse to beam them out and back to the lab.

And then the ride is over!:)

Well...hopefully you enjoyed that trip through Body Wars...It's a fun attraction. I wish it was still around...because it was pretty accurate for the most part...and to have a ride that jargon based in a theme park - that's awesome.
12lufn.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom