The original haunted mansion for sale

Ciciwoowoo

Original Poster
http://www.luxist.com/2006/09/28/own-the-real-haunted-mansion

Own the Real Haunted Mansion

Posted Sep 28th 2006 4:03PM by Nicole Weston
Filed under: Estates

hauntedmansion.jpg
Disney fans take note: the house that was the inspiration behind the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland is up for sale. The Harry Packer Mansion was built in 1874 and is in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, a town that is known for its appreciation of Victorian architecture. Despite appearances (and the fact that it is currently used to host Murder Mystery Weekends), the current owners assure prospective buyers that the interior "is anything but spooky," with high ceilings, Tiffany stained glass windows, marble fireplaces, period antiques and fabrics. The mansion is about 4,500-sq. ft. and is priced at $1.75 million.

I know, its Disneyland...but still.. I want this house!

:) :) :)

Wow!!!

I live about 30 miles from this place and never knew it was the model for my favorite ride. My wife and I usually go for a ride on my Harley to Jim Thorpe for a day in the fall to look at the changing of the leaves, and to look for antiques. I'm going to be a little more attentive this time. It might not be haunted, but the price is a bit scary!!!:lookaroun

A little off topic, but the McDonalds contest is awesome! I already have 125 Snapfish credits to use after our trip to Disney!

33 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLOL, yeah I have about 100 snapfish credits now. I think the only time I really eat McDonalds is when monopoly is going on. Ive gained about 15 lbs of fat, but hey its all good if I win something:drevil:. But after its over NO more money from coastermaster83 for McDonald's, I go on a diet and loose the weight for next years contest. I think Im going to end up like that guy on SUPERSIZE ME:lol:.

Since1976

I take issue with the claim that this was *the* inspiration for the HM at Disneyland, b/c the Imagineers had a photo of a Baltimore mansion in their archives which is so similar to the attraction exterior, it's practically a carbon copy.

I think doombuggies.com may have a photo...

Lee

Adventurer
To my knowledge, this house has nothing to do with Disneyland's mansion.

It was one of several that were looked at as inspiration for MK's mansion, but the finished product has very little in common with that actual house. The connection is very slight, and they're obviously playing it up to help with the sale.

Ciciwoowoo

Original Poster
It does sort of look like it, but then again, I live in a small town here in Michigan, and we have a house that has the same sort of roof too.

I found that article on AOL today.

TimeTrip

It was one of several that were looked at as inspiration for MK's mansion, but the finished product has very little in common with that actual house. The connection is very slight, and they're obviously playing it up to help with the sale.

Yeah, that's also essentially what doombuggies has to say:

Back around 1970, some WED Imagineers visited Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania and studied the Harry Packer Mansion, using it as reference for the new Haunted Mansion that was to be built at the Magic Kingdom.

from

http://www.doombuggies.com/history2.htm

Teenchy

I take issue with the claim that this was *the* inspiration for the HM at Disneyland, b/c the Imagineers had a photo of a Baltimore mansion in their archives which is so similar to the attraction exterior, it's practically a carbon copy.

I think doombuggies.com may have a photo...

I purchased a DVD from http://www.extinctattractionsclub.com/ about the HM and they show the same house your talking about in Baltimore and the art work done prior to construction. The house in Baltimore sure looks more like the inspiration of the DL HM. I agree that this one in PA looks more like WDW HM.

MM Princess

Correct!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom