Trip Report The ONE for dinner?

Jambo Magicians and Witches (@MickeyCB šŸ˜‰) It has been some time since I have had a trip to report on and I am totally taking liberties with the definintion of trip right now.

I have not been to WDW since last April!
3D0190DE-B0D3-44F8-AC2A-552FE7681689.jpeg

Where we had fun with some friends..
45DDA92E-3B79-4BA1-9DC9-C7EA7483A40D.jpeg

Letā€™s start at the beginning because I know you all love drama, when it is happening to someone else.

I usually go for my birthday in mid march so when my sonā€™s lacrosse schedule came out and he had a game in ā€œOrlandoā€ the Friday of my birthday weekend I was tempted. The schedule literally had Orlando as the venue and the time was tba. It was a neutral sight game so it wasnā€™t at the home or away teamā€™s school. ā€œHmmmmā€ I thought, if I book a hotel in north Orlando the game will undoubtedly be in the south. If I book east it will be west and so on. My husband was flying down on March fourth for games on the fifth and seventh while I took my youngest on a recruiting trip to Charlotte. Instead of my husband (Ant or Rig-a-tone thanks to @wdisney9000 ) flying home just to fly back down two days later he stayed down in Florida and visited some work people.

We are DVC so I booked Old Key West for three nights as it was the only thing available. I waitlisted Riviera and it came through, but it was a small tower studio and since this was a resort only stay I did not want to be stuck in a small room. (Resort only because we still did not have a time or location for the game so could not make plans, although I did make several ADRs).
I decided to waitlist the Polynesian and a deluxe studio at the Riviera. Both rooms became available within hours of each other and DVC actually called me to see which I preferred. I really wanted to try out the Riviera but, come on, fireworks on the ā€œbeachā€. Over priced dolewhip? A second shower that doubles as a urinal? Who could say no to all that???
The Polynesian it was.

On Thursday March 10th I got off work at 2:30 and headed home. My flight was at 5:30 out of our local airport that is only 15 minutes away. Then I got the notification that the flight was canceled, followed two minutes later by a notification that it was delayed.

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

I called Frontier and it was canceled. I rebooked myself on the 8:30pm. Which was then delayed until 11:00pm. My 18yo son was driving me to the airport and he had to get up really early to go on a ROTC training camping type weekend thing so at 8 I had him drive me. I would just sit and read my book in the airport. No biggie.

Except I get to the airport and there are only three flights on the screen and two have been canceled and I am not going to West Palm! I call my son, ā€œcome back!ā€ I go to the desk where the same gentleman who helped me two weeks prior when I went to Savannah was working. He tells me, ā€œI can get you out Saturday morningā€. The game was Friday. We were flying home Saturday night. I took the refund.

I called Ant to tell him he didnt have to pick me up at MCO then I got online and I tried every airport and every airline for a flight out the next morning. The problem was his game was at 11:30, 45 minutes north of Disney. I only had MCO and Daytona to land into and hope to make it to the game in time. There was nothing. Not even the $900 Delta flight would get me there in time.
I was canceled. My birthday trip was canceled.
role playing burn GIF by Hyper RPG

On Saturday when my husband attempted to fly home guess what happenedā€¦.yep, canceled. They got him to Baltimore where he slept in the airport overnight then got out at 6 am Sunday morning. And he was one of the lucky ones!!!

I celebrated my birthday a few days later the best way I know howā€¦

94214190-BC9E-4F13-BABD-9794EB1F9F33.jpeg

Tacos and margaritas!

This brings me to the present. Saturday, March 19th my son had a game in Lakeland. When we booked our flights we decided to fly out on the 6:00 am Frontier on Saturday morning. And we booked our return flight for Saturday night at 10pm. Due to heavy spring break traffic this is the way it worked out. Plus we had assumed we would both be away the previous weekend and didn't want to leave the younger two alone so much.

The day after my birthday I realized my family didn't get me a present. My husband suggested we go to dinner in Disney Springs after our sonā€™s game and on the way back to MCO. Instead of DS we booked Boma and Sebastian's. We had missed a Boma dinner the previous weekend when I was canceled so this seemed like the most logical choice. We kept the Boma and canceled the Sebastian's even though our buddy @Loco_driver raved about it.

ā€œYou know, we have time to stop for breakfast after our plane lands,ā€ Ant boasted. And I stupidly made a reservation for brunch at the House of Blues.

Saturday March 19, 2022
My alarm went off at 3:45am. I showered, dressed and we were out the door by 4:15 am for our 6:00am flight. There was no traffic and we made it to the airport in about 14 minutes, found a parking spot in the resident lot and headed inside to a fairly long line. We have TSA precheck but they do not have a separate line. Once you see the agent then you are sent to the metal detector instead of the body cavity scanning device.

ClosedšŸ˜žno early morning hops and barley for me.
95D62ADD-AD8E-4FBC-B74C-B98322FC498F.jpeg

We boarded the plane and pulled away from the gate at 6:03. We had not gotten 10 feet away from the gate and a young man two rows up pukes in the aislešŸ¤¢
We pull back into the gate.
Then we wait for a vacuum. And wait. And wait. The vacuum arrives but now the young man and his brother must deplane so the young man can be checked by the paramedics to make sure he is ok to fly. (Btw there is a stomach bug going around, my son had it. It lasted about 8 hours then he was fine.)
But wait, the flight attendants make an announcement, and I will paraphrase, but, in this day and age you can not have someone deplane and leave them behind.

Seriously????

So we wait.
And wait.
And then the young men return, with cans of gingerale. Yay!

Take two: It is now about 7:20. Will we make the House of Blues reservation we have for 10:15? It will be very tight but we can go directly to our rental car and all we have are our small little bags. I might note here, when we were packing our day bags with a change of clothes for dinner I advised my husband to pack a tooth brush and an extra pair of skivvies. Just in case! I also packed a pair of warm cozy socksšŸ„°

About half way through the flight a gentleman in his 60ā€™s or so was walking down the aisle to the lavatory. Just as he gets to us he passes out. Full on face plant in the aisle. Flight attendants come running. Announcements are made asking for doctors or nurses to head to the rear of the plane. He ended up being ok. I am not sure what happened but a woman a couple rows up from us was a medical professional who went back to help and when she returned to her seat she told her husband he was ok.

We land. I immediately get on the MDE app to modify our brunch reservation. Our reservation is for 10:15 but if I can change it to 10:30 we should be ok. Then the announcement comes: please stay seated, we have to wait for the paramedics to board.

What???
Seriously, what?
Why not let the ill gentleman deplane first and meet the paramedics inside so we can get off this plane???

But we sit and wait. I dont have wifi or anything close to it. I dont even have 1G. I am trying to modify our reservation and the minutes are ticking closer and closer to 10:15. I can not even get onto MDE. I am trying to log in but they keep emailing me a verification code but I can not get email bc I dont have wifi! We finally deplane and itā€™s 10:12. No wifi. We keep moving. No wifi. I am in line for the ladies room, itā€™s 10:14, I call the reservation number.
Two
Hour
Wait
Time!!!

I give up. Charge me the no show fee.

We headed to Lakeland.
31700A1C-901A-4AE4-A912-240547B1AFC7.jpeg

We did get breakfast/lunch
Instead of a breakfast burrito and cheesy grits and drinks with fancy names we had:
A104C544-8990-47DB-B3AE-0E14136C8463.jpeg

Wawa and cheap beer. Two for $3.25!

Last edited:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
View attachment 627941

I will admit to finding enjoyment in other peopleā€™s drama, but only when the drama is moderate. This has reached almost epic proportions ā˜¹ļø

View attachment 627942

Thank you for the birthday wishes.
It was also my good boys birthday the weekend I was canceled so I got to be home to celebrate with him.
806BB290-75C4-4EB4-B749-2BA9BD2A2475.jpeg

He looks unhappy because his boy has packed to go away.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm in~ Wow! what a crummy flight!
So glad you made it and happy birthday!
sick ew GIF by Flighthouse
Thanks so much. And crappy is not even the beginning. My husband is the kind of person who can not see, hear, smell, think or anything else about vomit because then he vomits and this dude was right there on the aisle just in front of him. I thought my husband was going to lose it too. That would have been so bad!
I Could Vomit Just Looking At You Golden Girls GIF

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday March 19th continued

We made it to my sonā€™s game which, trust me, without boring you with details, was all sorts of drama. Like I almost puked a few times.

The goalieā€™s Dad likes Disney and he and his wife were thinking of stopping at DS on their way back to MCO to have dinner. We suggested they come to dinner with us instead. They have never been to Animal Kingdom Lodge and I knew it would blow them away. Plus Boma is so good.
Schitts Creek Food GIF by CBC

We usually wait until the teamā€™s bus departs but waze was showing a lot of traffic. There was traffic on the way down too. Keep in mind this was a Saturday. I have been doing these kind of trips where I stay at wdw then drive to Tampa or Lakeland for a game then back to wdw for the past five years. I have never seen traffic this bad. Is it post pandemic people wanting to go out and do stuff? Will the traffic remain or will it settle down in a year or two? This is my sonā€™s last year so I do not know but I felt like I was back in LA.
la morning GIF

We arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge at 5:25 for a 5:40 reservation. And I was able to modify the reservation from two to four people without a problem or MDE freaking out or drama of any kind!
CF6CB18F-8C8F-490A-B554-D44C77381EB6.jpeg

Not the best picture. Unless you were wondering what the speed limit is. Then it is great!
A8F8430D-0DC3-4C6C-933B-875AD452D62A.jpeg

1B1C7DDF-6FB4-4FCC-8E1E-D243AB8DF5A5.jpeg

We changed out of our sweaty, smelly game clothes in the car in the parking lot.
Dont Judge Me Barbara Dunkelman GIF by Rooster Teeth

Then we headed inside and went straight for the restroom. It had been so hot at the game we were drinking tons of water to stay hydrated. And hydrated we were!!!

Our friends werenā€™t there yet so I headed up to Victoria Falls to get some caffeine in the form of a diet coke.

Love this area and stair case and how the bar is kind of like itā€™s own floor. Like a hidden little gem.
75E4E8F4-2C1A-42A3-8B61-DC3F8568A17A.jpeg

What I got instead of a diet coke, which I donā€™t particularly like, was a Mt Kilimarita. Wow! I did particularly like this. I did indeed.
6DD896B6-5A94-4FC0-BA66-7A64178B9FD6.jpeg

3B84CC8E-CF66-41E4-80F7-C59564DC7239.jpeg

I took my drink down to the Boma waiting area and we waited for our friends who arrived right on time. And they had changed as well. No drama here!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Wow never heard of so much drama on such a short flight. So pleased you eventually arrived.
My sister shares the same birthday as you so happy belated birthday.šŸŽ‚šŸŽ‰ Cannot wait for next instalment.
Thank you for reading along.
I must say the flight attendants and fellow passengers, despite our moans and groans, were very helpful and respectful. Even mešŸ˜‚

RememberWhen

Saturday March 19th continued

We made it to my sonā€™s game which, trust me, without boring you with details, was all sorts of drama. Like I almost puked a few times.

The goalieā€™s Dad likes Disney and he and his wife were thinking of stopping at DS on their way back to MCO to have dinner. We suggested they come to dinner with us instead. They have never been to Animal Kingdom Lodge and I knew it would blow them away. Plus Boma is so good.
Schitts Creek Food GIF by CBC

We usually wait until the teamā€™s bus departs but waze was showing a lot of traffic. There was traffic on the way down too. Keep in mind this was a Saturday. I have been doing these kind of trips where I stay at wdw then drive to Tampa or Lakeland for a game then back to wdw for the past five years. I have never seen traffic this bad. Is it post pandemic people wanting to go out and do stuff? Will the traffic remain or will it settle down in a year or two? This is my sonā€™s last year so I do not know but I felt like I was back in LA.
la morning GIF

We arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge at 5:25 for a 5:40 reservation. And I was able to modify the reservation from two to four people without a problem or MDE freaking out or drama of any kind!
View attachment 627962
Not the best picture. Unless you were wondering what the speed limit is. Then it is great!
View attachment 627963
View attachment 627964

We changed out of our sweaty, smelly game clothes in the car in the parking lot.
Dont Judge Me Barbara Dunkelman GIF by Rooster Teeth

Then we headed inside and went straight for the restroom. It had been so hot at the game we were drinking tons of water to stay hydrated. And hydrated we were!!!

Our friends werenā€™t there yet so I headed up to Victoria Falls to get some caffeine in the form of a diet coke.

Love this area and stair case and how the bar is kind of like itā€™s own floor. Like a hidden little gem.
View attachment 627965

What I got instead of a diet coke, which I donā€™t particularly like, was a Mt Kilimarita. Wow! I did particularly like this. I did indeed.
View attachment 627967
View attachment 627966
I took my drink down to the Boma waiting area and we waited for our friends who arrived right on time. And they had changed as well. No drama here!
That drink looks awesome. Next time Iā€™m there Iā€™m definitely going to have to try it.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm in! And so stressed out after reading that first post! Happy belated birthday!!
Thank you for the happiness you send my way!
The airports have definitely been crazy. When my husband was canceled last weekend he was next door to a gate that was going to Dallas. Their flight was delayed 4 or 5 hours coming in. Then there was a plane at their gate that wouldnā€™t move but the gate agents lined the people up so they would be ready to board asap. The people stood there for over an hour. The one plane leaves, their plane parks and the passengers disembark and they are just about to start boarding and they had to cancel because the crew timed out. Now that is rough!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom