The official "What does the general public think" thread (WDW version)

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Since I like to look at what the general public think about new lands and rides announced or opened, I decided to make two threads for wdw and disneyland. I think knowing what the general public think is crucial to understanding disney's thought process and getting more than one viewpoint on things. Only recent ones will be included, so no past stuff, no matter how controversial.

mergatroid

I think attendances and reviews show that the general public are more than happy with what Disney has to offer. As a child when I first visited I had 'just' the Magic Kingdom to visit minus several attractions such as BTMRR, Space M and Splash M yet thought it the best place in the world. Today we read people complaining there's not enough to do, not enough parks and not enough monorails.

I guess those who go regularly in some cases expect Disney to cater just to them. The attitude of "I didn't enjoy Avatar so I won't visit Pandora, what a waste of money" or "Toy Story Land is for families and kids, I want E Ticket rides for adults" along with "Yes Star Wars will be popular, but too popular for my liking and very crowded" is somewhat selfish.

I'm not saying Disney is above criticism, however a lot of it on here comes from those who go often and so miss out on much of the excitement they themselves experienced on their first visits. The general public seem more than happy with much of what Disney offers but it's a tad unrealistic for those of us who go regularly to expect new attractions all the time on the basis that we're bored of some of the old ones. There's so much stuff being built at Disney currently which people were complaining on here never happened a few years back and yet we're already getting posts being negative about what's being built without in many cases knowing too much about it. I suppose it's all about which way you want to look at it.

Last edited:

LUVofDIS

You will always have people who complain about new and old things, it is just how people are. There is nothing wrong with holding a company to a high standard, especially when that company brags about its high standard. Us regulars should complain when we see that standard not being meant. So many companies fall into that trap where they start out with a high end product and than start to cheapen it to not just make a profit but to continually increase profits. They live off their original high end image and than over time the customer begins to realize that their product is decreasing in quality.

My point is that, yes people will complain even if something is awesome to others, it just doesn't mesh with them. This will always happen. Then there are people who complain no matter what, there is no satisfying them. There is also people who will always like everything a company like Disney does.

The last two groups do nothing to improve a product. When the majority agree that something is bad or that something is good, this is when a company like Disney needs to respond.

Also, it is not just regulars who complain about Disney, I have talked with more people that have been to WDW once or twice and have commented on crowds and wait times and how they will never go back. There are also people I know who have never been and do not plan on going for the same exact reason.

Crowds seem to be WDW single biggest problem and they need to start addressing it, this problem kills the experience. They seem to be trying to address it with after parties and ticket increases. One way that curbs crowds is the way most of us just don't want to see and that is an economic downturn.

mergatroid

You will always have people who complain about new and old things, it is just how people are. There is nothing wrong with holding a company to a high standard, especially when that company brags about its high standard. Us regulars should complain when we see that standard not being meant. So many companies fall into that trap where they start out with a high end product and than start to cheapen it to not just make a profit but to continually increase profits. They live off their original high end image and than over time the customer begins to realize that their product is decreasing in quality.

My point is that, yes people will complain even if something is awesome to others, it just doesn't mesh with them. This will always happen. Then there are people who complain no matter what, there is no satisfying them. There is also people who will always like everything a company like Disney does.

The last two groups do nothing to improve a product. When the majority agree that something is bad or that something is good, this is when a company like Disney needs to respond.

Also, it is not just regulars who complain about Disney, I have talked with more people that have been to WDW once or twice and have commented on crowds and wait times and how they will never go back. There are also people I know who have never been and do not plan on going for the same exact reason.

Crowds seem to be WDW single biggest problem and they need to start addressing it, this problem kills the experience. They seem to be trying to address it with after parties and ticket increases. One way that curbs crowds is the way most of us just don't want to see and that is an economic downturn.

Some good points there and well put. One thing about the wait times I will say is that as a child who started going in the 70's, wait times were 'bad' back then in the MK. You either got there early and hit the big attractions at rope drop or you'd be queuing for hours later in the day. I had systems in place to ride specific attractions between certain times that worked for me, without this though long waits were a given. Paper fastpass machines were the perfect solution to me when they came in, with a bit of strategy you could utilise them perfectly if you arrived before park opening. Fastpass+ ruined that ability for me for a number of reasons and I wish we could return to the old ways but realise that's unlikely to ever happen so just have to get on with the system we currently have. I've read a lot on here recently about crowd levels and wait times being crazy recently, we're there in October so I'll have to experience it then before commenting on that myself.

Ewizaboof

Since I like to look at what the general public think about new lands and rides announced or opened, I decided to make two threads for wdw and disneyland. I think knowing what the general public think is crucial to understanding disney's thought process and getting more than one viewpoint on things. Only recent ones will be included, so no past stuff, no matter how controversial.

This is completely unrelated and I apologize profusely but your icon is beyond perfect. Like context and everything it is phenomenal.

Prog

I think there is a growing trend of adults going to Disney because they feel obligated to bring their kids there, and feeling like they're sitting through a long and expensive Chuck E. Cheese babysitting session. The general public is noticing the increased nickel-and-diming, the continued rising of the "luxury ceiling" (IE how much of an experience can you buy?), and the continued neglect of many aspects of the parks.

I think there is a growing trend of adults going to Disney because they feel obligated to bring their kids there, and feeling like they're sitting through a long and expensive Chuck E. Cheese babysitting session. The general public is noticing the increased nickel-and-diming, the continued rising of the "luxury ceiling" (IE how much of an experience can you buy?), and the continued neglect of many aspects of the parks.

Going strictly from guys I work with, I work at a trucking company so it’s mostly men the general consensus is they go for their kids and don’t enjoy it themselves. Everything is way too expensive, too crowded, and as their kids have gotten older the kids don’t enjoy it as much. A handful feel like what you say they used to get more or at least felt like they got more. And the biggest complaint is no more paper fast passes, now you have to have plan your “fun” family vacation months in advance.

Walt Disney1955

We went last November. We only had time to do a day in Magic Kingdom. It was insanely busy because it was right after Thanksgiving and I guess it kicked off the Christmas crowds. Here is what we missed, and it wasn't because of our kids holding us back either, it was just the crowds:

Jungle Cruise
Space Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan
Hall of Presidents (not re-opened yet)
Seven Dwarves Mine Ride
Tom Sawyer Island ("dusk" was around 5pm then so I forgot that it closed then)
Tomorrowland Speedway

That's a lot of mustard huh? Yet we spent 12 hours there and it was still a remarkable day. Is it possible we've gotten entitled over time? A day at the Magic Kingdom where you miss some of the marquee rides is still better than anywhere else (minus Disneyland).

eliza61nyc

So I think one of the issues maybe there are two "camps". WDW regulars, those that go more than once say in 3-4 years and then those who go at most twice, mainly because it seems to be a right of passage for children.

Now crowds seem to be the bane of every "amusement" park, type of vacation destination. Disney use to have slow periods, not so much now. I honestly don't know how to fix that. More people on the planet, cleaver marketing and discounts have worked to make the parks packed.

I will say, I do not believe that most of the general population "critiques" wdw the way that is done here. I have never ever heard anyone I know throw a hissy fit because they changed a scene in a ride until I came here. I also think they take the "upcharges" with a grain of salt. most in the GP are already immune to that sort of things. years of airline fees, ATM fees, wifi fees were in place long before the world, so they average newcomer is not going to squawk at parking fee.

now price, yep most folks agree wdw is expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom