The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

draybook

Kind of ironic that a show based on a HUGE box office bomb has lasted for 20+ years. Is that because it's a decent show or is it just lack of budget/creativity?

Walt Disney1955

Wow, they're still doing the Waterworld show at Universal? Good grief, that was there the only time I ever went back in 91 or 92.

As of September of 2012 they were. I too found it rather ironic that it was based on one of the string of movies that Kevin Costner flopped in. It was the last thing we did at Universal that day and I will admit I was rather skeptical of it despite the fact that I was told it was a great show.

Magic Mountain holds the record for most roller coasters in one park.

Now that I look it up, yes it does. 19 rollercoasters to Cedar Point's 17. Canada's Wonderland about an hour away from me has 16.

Walt Disney1955

One other thing I would have liked to have checked out was the Dolby Theatre (formerly Kodak Theatre). Watching the Oscars the other night made me wish I had taken the tour of it when I got the chance. Lots of history there. I am sure the tour would be similar to the Chinese Theatre. Even seeing the make up rooms in the Chinese Theatre and knowing how many Hollywood stars were sitting right there in front of the mirror to doll themselves up.

gboiler1

One other thing I would have liked to have checked out was the Dolby Theatre (formerly Kodak Theatre). Watching the Oscars the other night made me wish I had taken the tour of it when I got the chance. Lots of history there. I am sure the tour would be similar to the Chinese Theatre. Even seeing the make up rooms in the Chinese Theatre and knowing how many Hollywood stars were sitting right there in front of the mirror to doll themselves up.

Sounds like you hit may of the prime spots. We are visiting at the end of July/first of August. We were last in LA in the spring of 08. My daughter is now 15 and will appreciate some of the Hollywood stuff more.
I've read the Paramount Tour isn't as good perhaps because the guides aren't as experienced, but we're going to do Warner Bros & Sony. I've purchased the GO LA Card, which is a good deal if you plan on doing several attractions, so those are included. The Chinese is cool for the history as is the Dolby (Kodak when we visited) however they won't allow photos. When we visited last the auditorium seats had large cards noting where the celebs sat on Oscar night. Also looking at some tours...Red Line Walking Tour for sure since it goes to the Roosevelt Hotel, Egyptian Theater, etc.

My daughter wants to do a Haunted tour. As long as they are still doing them, LA Hauntings sounds like the tour that fits our interests. The Dearly Departed Tour might be okay but the focus is a bit different as well as the Haunted Hollywood Tour from Star Line.

Of course we'll do Disney & Universal and a couple days at Ventura Beach.

Walt Disney1955

Sounds like you hit may of the prime spots. We are visiting at the end of July/first of August. We were last in LA in the spring of 08. My daughter is now 15 and will appreciate some of the Hollywood stuff more.
I've read the Paramount Tour isn't as good perhaps because the guides aren't as experienced, but we're going to do Warner Bros & Sony. I've purchased the GO LA Card, which is a good deal if you plan on doing several attractions, so those are included. The Chinese is cool for the history as is the Dolby (Kodak when we visited) however they won't allow photos. When we visited last the auditorium seats had large cards noting where the celebs sat on Oscar night. Also looking at some tours...Red Line Walking Tour for sure since it goes to the Roosevelt Hotel, Egyptian Theater, etc.

My daughter wants to do a Haunted tour. As long as they are still doing them, LA Hauntings sounds like the tour that fits our interests. The Dearly Departed Tour might be okay but the focus is a bit different as well as the Haunted Hollywood Tour from Star Line.

Of course we'll do Disney & Universal and a couple days at Ventura Beach.

They let us take pictures inside the Chinese theatre.

gboiler1

They let us take pictures inside the Chinese theatre.

Yes, I took pics in the Chinese too. I should have been a bit clearer, no photos allowed in the Kodak/Dolby Theater. At the end of the tour they gave everyone a post card of the auditorium. I guess they feel there is more of a security issue because of the Academy Awards I guess? Or perhaps there are other plausible reasons they don't tell their tours about.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, I took pics in the Chinese too. I should have been a bit clearer, no photos allowed in the Kodak/Dolby Theater. At the end of the tour they gave everyone a post card of the auditorium. I guess they feel there is more of a security issue because of the Academy Awards I guess? Or perhaps there are other plausible reasons they don't tell their tours about.

We were told it had something to do with the licensing agreement ABC has with the Oscars. Not sure if that's true or not.

Travel Junkie

You're right, it's very ironic. The show is very good and insanely popular, which is why it's still here.

They recently updated the show too including upgrading the sound system. It may be around for a while longer.

Speaking of USH, They announced a new Fast & the Furious addition to the tram tour (hopefully a better effort than the last one) and officially announced Springfield that sounds bigger than what they have in Orlando. By 2016, USH will be completely transformed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/b...ollywood-aims-to-catch-up-to-disney.html?_r=0

Californian Elitist

They recently updated the show too including upgrading the sound system. It may be around for a while longer.

Speaking of USH, They announced a new Fast & the Furious addition to the tram tour (hopefully a better effort than the last one) and officially announced Springfield that sounds bigger than what they have in Orlando. By 2016, USH will be completely transformed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/b...ollywood-aims-to-catch-up-to-disney.html?_r=0

Well, this is going to be amazing. I'm really looking forward to the night trams! I am super excited.

Californian Elitist

This past weekend, I went on a tour of the Broadway Theatre District here in Los Angeles. I had a very good time and learned a lot of history. I would recommend this tour to both tourists and locals.

The Roxie (1932):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112839-roxie.jpg

The Cameo (1910):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112841-cameo-pantages.jpg

The Arcade (1910, the first Pantages theater):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112843-arcade.jpg

The Los Angeles (1931):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112852-los-angeles.jpg

The Palace (1911, an Orpheum theater):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112853-palace.jpg

Anybody recognize this theater?

6a00d8341cb90f53ef0120a50e305d970b-pi

0029_thriller_theatre.jpg

The State (1921) and the Globe (1913):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112863-state.jpg

The Tower (1927):

IMG_0071_zps443b89e0.jpg

The Rialto (1917):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112889-rialto.jpg

The Orpheum (1926):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112891-orpheum.jpg

The United Artists (1927):

theraven24-1700503-albums-broadway-theatre-district-dtla-pic112897-united-artists.jpg

Californian Elitist

Love the Broadway tour pics Raven. Too bad they have declined so much since their heyday. If I could jump in a time machine, Hollywood in the 40s/50s would be my destination.

Yes, it is too bad. To be fair, they are old, some of them at least a century old, but still. What sucks even more is the jewelry stores and cell phone/swap meet stores some of them have become. We went to the Warner Bros Theatre (not on the same block as the main ones, and we couldn't take photos), and it's been turned into a jewelry store. What's amazing is the jewelry store sits exactly where the stage and lower bottom of the theater used to be. From the back of the store, you can see the old chandelier and the balcony of seats that are still there. The curtain and sideway exits are still there, too. We also visited a century-old Dutch chocolate shop that's I'll see if I can find photos of both online.

There's a project currently going on called "Bringing Back Broadway", and it's focused on fixing up the block (theaters included), as well as seeing the return of the streetcar.

http://www.bringingbackbroadway.com/About/OVERVIEW/index.htm

BBB_Logo.jpg

Californian Elitist

Couldn't find many interior photos of the Warner Bros Theatre.

Warner_1929_Grand_Opening.jpg

You can still see the outlining of the Warner Bros logo where the diamond is:

warner.jpg

Here's the lighting I was talking about. The mural is still there, too:

warners_hill.jpg

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
This thread is helping me make my California bucket-list. I want to come out again and drive the coast, see the Disney family museum, Hearst castle, etc etc.

Keep the posts coming!

Are there any interesting earthquake-type museums? I'm interested in learning more about the San Andreas fault and whatnot.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We like to hit Olvera Street in LA. It's a Mexican Market, it is touristy for sure but we love it. They have lots of stands in the middle that sell the typical touristy stuff. And shops and restaurants in the buildings on either side with nicer Mexican things. The shops are hit and miss like anywhere. Depending on when you go they will have Aztec or Mexican Folk Dancers and mariachi they also have free hour long tours discussing the history of Mexican Los Angles. If you go around Mexican Holidays they have even more events. We spend about 4 hours here each trip, including a meal.

http://www.olvera-street.com/index.html

A few pictures from our recent trip - We went on a Monday during the school year so crowds were light and some shops, the art museum and tours were closed.

20140519_142454_1.jpg

20140519_164512_1.jpg

20140519_183542.jpg

20140519_183834.jpg
IMG_8883.jpg
20140519_184615.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom