The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Consumer

LACMA is a pretty poor excuse for an art museum in a city as important as Los Angeles. Of course it's hard to compete with the Met in New York or even the National Gallery in DC, even smaller American cities such as Cleveland and St. Louis have more impressive art museums than LACMA. Sure, the collections at those museums are not as vast as LACMA's, but the art they do have is superior to that of LACMA and the architecture and gardens surrounding them cannot be understated. The new interior plans for LACMA are abhorrent; like looking at art in a parking garage. Truly, truly horrible.

1672431328251.png

Phroobar

This is the place I wanted to try in Santa Maria. Jockos and the Hitching Post have good reviews too but this place looks more like an experience…

Total recommended.

Also try out the Santa Maria Inn. It's suppose to be haunted. It has that Overlook hotel vibe from the Shining.
iu

TP2000

I actually did Hearst Castle my first California trip that I remember (I was seven or so), but the only thing that stuck with me for the most part were the pools. I'm looking forward to seeing it again with adult eyes.

Take the tour at Hearst Castle. The tour guides explain the reason it was built and who stayed there, and it's fascinating.

On a semi-related note: is there anything worthwhile in San Luis Obispo? It seems to be included in a lot of itineraries because "it's a town! On the way!" but similarly seems to have nothing jumping out at me.

As been said, it's just a big college town. The majority of its shops/restaurants/bars is aimed at kids looking to get drunk, or kids recovering from hangovers, or their parents dropping them off (and perhaps also looking to get drunk to celebrate that?). They have some fancy wineries in the area though with visitors centers, but again... the drunk thing. Being a larger town though, it will have the cheapest gas and most quick food options for you to take advantage of on your way through.

Good to know that it's not the worst thing in the world to just drive through parts of the PCH. There's a lot of digital ink spilled on the internet about the PCH and it's all a bit overwhelming because they all say similar things, but are just different enough to be confusing. I'm all for pulling off to scenic view exits and enjoying some natural bits, but I also can get to the point where I'm tired of stopping every two minutes and just want to drive.

Go with that instinct! It is certainly no crime to just put the pedal to the metal and get down to Santa Barbara relatively quickly. Honestly, the view out of your windshield is already stunning and it doesn't get that much better by stopping to get out of the car to look. Enjoy the drive and the view as your car speeds along! A well-timed meal break or two is just the icing on that cake of a drive.

istock_89486111_usa_bixby_creek_bridge_on_highway_one_letterbox.jpg

TP2000

That was a waste of time when I did it. Those "17 miles" included a lot of looping back on itself. Aside from that sad famous Monterey pine - if they've still got it guyed up - you won't see anything that's not along PCH. Maybe some rich people houses and a bit of the golf course.

Agreed. I did 17 Mile Drive once, and don't need to do it again. I think it has a lot of cultural importance for golfers and golf fans though.

But if you don't play golf or consider Pebble Beach hallowed ground? It's no big deal.

TP2000

If your at the Madonna Inn, check out the men's restroom. Nothing like peeing into a waterfall.

iu

Now, I'm a man of the world. I was in the Service, I've traveled overseas at differing price points and budgets, I've lived in some unique situations before, and I'm not a prude. In my youth, my dad and uncle took us camping and fishing and hunting.

But I have to say that if I walked into that Mens Room and saw that waterfall wall, I would have absolutely no idea what my role was supposed to be or how it should work. 🤣

Is there some sort of signage not visible in this photo that helps explain it? Or, God forbid, is there a short training video you are supposed to watch beforehand?

I've heard of the Madonna Inn, but have never been. I'm starting to think it might be worth a trip.

choco choco

I might be doing too much art on this trip, because there will be a decent chunk in San Francisco that I'm also aiming to visit, but those three are all right next to each other and seem interesting. I'm considering Petersen and things like the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Japanese American Museum as well.

Unless you are some sort of art connoisseur, scholar or frequent gallery-goer, you are doing way too many art museums. The museum with the best collection in the southland is actually the Norton Simon in Pasadena, but the best true museum-going experience (which includes factors like the architecture, site, vibe and things like food and amenities) is either of the two Getty's. I would pick one and call it a day for art museums. LACMA is in construction right now and will be for the next two years. Neither the Broad nor the Academy Museum should take you more than two and a half hours at most. So a mild diversion if you are looking for one.

I always give this advice for tourists who are here for the the summer, but the absolute best thing to do that is very LA is to take in a performance at the Hollywood Bowl. The site and atmosphere is super romantic. Do what the locals do and bring your own picnic dinner. Look online for some common places where Angelenos like to buy packaged picnic meals, or get creative and create your own. Pack some blankets for when the temperature drops over this hills and go take in a performance under the stars. It almost doesn't matter what is playing. Classical music or jazz is the most common, but they also do great things like musicals, musical sing-alongs, movie showings set to a live orchestra and plenty of pop music across all ranges. Don't worry too much, just go to what's playing on the day you're available. Unless it is some very popular artists, the Bowl rarely sells out and the upper seats (which are the best place to take in the views) are purposely kept fairly inexpensive. Highly recommend.

Also available during the summer that is unique to So Cal and found almost nowhere else: Laguna Beach's Pageant of the Masters. There's enough info online so I don't have to describe it here, but suffice to say it's an old art form that has basically died out and I can't name anywhere else on the planet that does something like it.

Practical Pig

I always give this advice for tourists who are here for the the summer, but the absolute best thing to do that is very LA is to take in a performance at the Hollywood Bowl. The site and atmosphere is super romantic. Do what the locals do and bring your own picnic dinner. Look online for some common places where Angelenos like to buy packaged picnic meals, or get creative and create your own. Pack some blankets for when the temperature drops over this hills and go take in a performance under the stars. It almost doesn't matter what is playing. Classical music or jazz is the most common, but they also do great things like musicals, musical sing-alongs, movie showings set to a live orchestra and plenty of pop music across all ranges. Don't worry too much, just go to what's playing on the day you're available. Unless it is some very popular artists, the Bowl rarely sells out and the upper seats (which are the best place to take in the views) are purposely kept fairly inexpensive. Highly recommend.
I live a five hour drive north of San Francisco, and have only been to the Hollywood Bowl once in my life, back in 2016 for a stellar, focused performance of a concert version of The little Mermaid with Sara Bareilles as Ariel. But yeah, I totally got that the Bowl is an iconic LA experience I want to return to.

(Although I currently have a Disney+ episode of a Hollywood Bowl performance of a concert version of Encanto playing in the background that is drastically over-produced to the point of being just a sludge of projections and missed opportunities.)

Last edited:

TP2000

I live a five hour drive north of San Francisco, and have only been to the Hollywood Bowl once in my life, back in 2016 for a stellar, focused performance of a concert version of The little Mermaid with Sara Bareilles as Ariel. But yeah, I totally got that the Bowl is an iconic LA experience I want to return to.

(Although I currently have a Disney+ episode of a Hollywood Bowl performance of a concert version of Encanto playing in the background that is drastically over-produced to the point of being just a sludge of projections and missed opportunities.)

Logistically, the Hollywood Bowl is a real pain to get to, and maneuver through, and exit and somehow get home from.

But when you are there, it can be magic. So long as the performer is a personal favorite of yours. For me personally, I am forever thankful that I once saw Diana Krall and Diana Ross (not on the same night obviously) at the Hollywood Bowl.

But parking is a nightmare, and getting out of there you take your life in your hands literally standing 12 inches or less from passing buses belching diesel fumes in your face. It's amazing to me that their exit logistics are tolerated, let alone even legal. But then, it's Hollywood!

Last edited:

Parteecia

Logistically, the Hollywood Bowl is a real pain to get to, and maneuver through, and exit and somehow get home from.

But when you are there, it can be magic. So long as the performer is a personal favorite of yours. For me personally, I am forever thankful that I once saw Diana Krall and Diana Ross (not on the same night obviously) at the Hollywood Bowl.

But parking is a nightmare, and getting out of there you take your life in your hands literally standing 12 inches or less from passing buses belching diesel fumes in your face. It's amazing to me that their exit logistics are tolerated, let alone even legal. But then, it's Hollywood!
I've had good experiences with the shuttle buses, except for the one who thought we were going to the Rose Bowl.

On the other hand I switched my allegiance from the Dodgers to the Angels based solely on parking.

Last edited:

mickEblu

This about sums up my one experience at the Hollywood Bowl.

PiratesMansion

Unless you are some sort of art connoisseur, scholar or frequent gallery-goer, you are doing way too many art museums. The museum with the best collection in the southland is actually the Norton Simon in Pasadena, but the best true museum-going experience (which includes factors like the architecture, site, vibe and things like food and amenities) is either of the two Getty's. I would pick one and call it a day for art museums. LACMA is in construction right now and will be for the next two years. Neither the Broad nor the Academy Museum should take you more than two and a half hours at most. So a mild diversion if you are looking for one.

Also available during the summer that is unique to So Cal and found almost nowhere else: Laguna Beach's Pageant of the Masters. There's enough info online so I don't have to describe it here, but suffice to say it's an old art form that has basically died out and I can't name anywhere else on the planet that does something like it.
I do enjoy art museums. I probably won't actually do all of those, but they're on there as placeholders and things that could be interesting.

Sounds like, given not just your feedback but that of others, that LACMA is an easy cut. Mild diversions of a few hours are 100% fine.

I looked into the bowl. What surprised me was that (unless I was using the site wrong) there wasn't all that much scheduled for the summer. I'm sure some of it is timing and that the schedule will fill in later, but I was a little shocked at how bare the schedule was when I was on the site. Will definitely look into using rideshare to get there.

Pageant of the Masters: ah, so that's where Gilmore Girls got that idea from! Definitely something I'll consider. Hopefully they don't flinch.

One thing I meant to ask about but forgot to mention earlier: what is the best/least frustrating place to park when trying to get to Griffith Observatory? I tried to visit it at one point and got frustrated/confused by the number of people around and the parking situation and bailed. Maybe that's another place where I should just rideshare it up there?

Californian Elitist

@PiratesMansion You shouldn’t let our personal opinions dictate your trip! If you want to visit LACMA, the Academy Museum, and other museums, you should. You could very well go and enjoy them. Don’t let what we think get in the way.

I remember when I was deciding which cities to visit in Italy, people kept telling me to stay away from Naples because of crime and the mafia. I’m glad I didn’t listen to them. I loved Naples.

Parteecia

what is the best/least frustrating place to park when trying to get to Griffith Observatory?
One of my favorite places to take visitors. We usually drive as close as we can then abandon the vehicle and walk. There is a bus shuttle. I don't get in strangers' cars but rideshare is an option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom