The "off season" is a myth.

Rowdy

A day here and there doesn't equal a "season".

Not even in Florida.

:D

One could only think so, right? I mean, what'd we have, two days of winter? :p

I was saying, there are "seasons". But only a few days are consistent year after year as being slow days, is what I mean.

ddbowdoin

here is what I have gathered over my last couple of trips...

1.) May 2010
2.) March 2011

As fans of the world, we love the nuances of each gate. The small details, the architecture, theming, etc etc etc. But when you ask a casual visitor, it's almost as if MK is WDW, and Epcot and the rest are more of a perk or side visits. I know so many people who treat the other parks as half days parks (whether it be an AM EMH or a night to see Illuminations / Fantasmic) but they seem to always start or end their day at MK.

I think its the iconic nature of MK, the depth of attractions... although you can say that Spaceship Earth is iconic as it comes, its much more of a cultural and educational experience when compared to MK.

Tom Morrow

There's absolutely is an off season. Does it change every year? Maybe a little bit, but there are still times of the year where you only wait 5 min for Space Mountain, and 10 for Test Track in the same day.

There are actually a few days that year after year remain to be the deadest of days. But I'll keep that secret to myself. :animwink:
Yeah, but there used to be several weeks of this at a time. Now its just a few days here and there, and often you only get "lucky" if you're at the right park for that day. For example, the park that closes earliest and doesn't have morning or evening EMH will probably be the least crowded.

devoy1701

Quite true, especially when you are talking about MK. The slow season at MK was Left 4 Dead quite some time ago. Seems like it was almost Half a Life ago where you could got to WDW in January and almost have the place to yourself. Now a days you are lucky to make it out of the place Still Alive. You still see a value season drop in attendance at the other three parks but even that Aperture of hope is beginning to close.

There still is, I promise.

I have never gone on a day in early December and said "OMG I CAN'T STAND THESE CROWDS!"

Early December (1st through 16ish) are still pretty calm at the MK.

mimitchi33

And the cake is a lie.

Just back from a little weekend getaway during the "off season".

EPCOT and Animal Kingdom had very light crowds, dining options wide open in World Showcase, walk-ons for Everest, etc...

Magic Kingdom?

INSANITY!

40 minute wait for Haunted Mansion, 35 minute wait for Pirates, 90 minute wait for Space Mountain, etc....

Off season at the Kingdom?

Not a chance.

Nice reference to Portal there, pal!
Anywhoo, I have 2 words for why there were long waits for rides: Marathon Weekend.

The Duck

And the cake is a lie.

Just back from a little weekend getaway during the "off season".

EPCOT and Animal Kingdom had very light crowds, dining options wide open in World Showcase, walk-ons for Everest, etc...

Magic Kingdom?

INSANITY!

40 minute wait for Haunted Mansion, 35 minute wait for Pirates, 90 minute wait for Space Mountain, etc....

Off season at the Kingdom?

Not a chance.
When you said, "weekend getaway", I had to wonder. Was this a literal weekend consisting of Saturday-Sunday only? I visit almost every year at this time (I'm arriving at MK on Monday the 30th) and I've always found the crowds quite manageable. Weekend crowds are always heavier than weekday, regardless of season.

SleepingMonk

Original Poster
Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

And again, the other parks were what we would normally expect during this time.

Magic Kingdom was mobbed.

mrsdanalind

My friend and I went in late September/early October and it was empty (compared to the August and Christmas trips I have taken previously).

I was wondering what it might be like at this time of year.

the times we go are usually right after Thanksgiving and before the 3rd week of December. And yes there are crowds but not as insanely huge as during the summer or Christmas Vacation. Also the prices are cheaper during the time we go so it's a value. We are planning a family vacation and reunion during the 1st week of December. Can't wait.
:D

Raychul

Quite true, especially when you are talking about MK. The slow season at MK was Left 4 Dead quite some time ago. Seems like it was almost Half a Life ago where you could got to WDW in January and almost have the place to yourself. Now a days you are lucky to make it out of the place Still Alive. You still see a value season drop in attendance at the other three parks but even that Aperture of hope is beginning to close.

Best comment ever! You just opened the Valve to my happiness. :sohappy:

LivinwtheLand

Agreed. As a nearly weekly guest with zero insider knowledge, MK appears to always have wait times consistent. Almost like no matter what time of the year you come, the wait time is always in the 30-60 minute range. Is it to gain demand? I don't know, but it does seem like even though the ENTIRE RESORT is slower during certain periods, MK is still consistently running at a certain speed.

CP_alum08

You have to realize though, the reason there is not more true off-season anymore is because everybody knows the crowds are lighter then. With the millions of websites, books, travel agencies, etc. telling people to go during the 'off-season' more people are going then. Make sense? Information travels exponentially faster now than it did 20 years ago.

my guess is that eventually you will see a tip in crowds. You will see a huge influx during the off-seasons when more and more people decide to go then and a decrease during peak times because those people that would have gone in April and August have already gone in September and January.

draybook

March 10-16 2012

September 9-15 2012

December 4-10 2009

September 8-16 2008

Those are the four trips we've made to WDW. The first September trip was awesome and spoiled us! This last September was insane. I would agree that the MK is the park that really made it seem bad. That park was very crowded for it to be September. We're headed back this March and we don't mind the crowds then, because it's expected.

WorldKey

Agreed. As a nearly weekly guest with zero insider knowledge, MK appears to always have wait times consistent. Almost like no matter what time of the year you come, the wait time is always in the 30-60 minute range. Is it to gain demand? I don't know, but it does seem like even though the ENTIRE RESORT is slower during certain periods, MK is still consistently running at a certain speed.

Again - people that are making these comments could not have gone to MK in mid September. 4 times in the last 4 years we have gone in mid September and literally walked on HM, POTC, Space Mt., and 20 min wait for Splash. And this was multple times in one day. Why would I make this up? Actually I shouldn't be shouting about it because the dream will come to an end :(

SleepingMonk

Original Poster
I know there are slow DAYS here and there, but what people are saying is the slow SEASON is a thing of the past.

Some of the people commenting here go to the parks several times a month, and have done so for years.

The change in crowd levels at MK is obvious.

alissafalco

We have been 4 times in mid September over the past 4 years and pratically walked onto HM, POTC, Space Mt multiple times in one day, 20 min wait for Splash Mt. tops. Sorry you hit a freak day in September.

yes, I agree, I was there in mid september also and we walked onto most rides and had maybe a 10 minute wait for Pirates and Peter Pan...We did go during the week though, it was not on the weekend. It was great.

Jimmy Thick

With all the promotions Disney offers, the off season is a myth. The closest week I can think of being an off season is the first week school is back after summer vacation for the entire United States.

The days of walk on Space Mountain's are over.

Jimmy Thick-Blame free dining...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom