The Next Reason For Fatal Auto Accidents...

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Let me start by saying that I am not anti-technology. I may not be as proficient as some, but, I really think it is cool and exciting.

That said, today I got a rental car while my baby is in the shop getting a face lift after an unfortunate incident where a person hit the front of it while backing up. Them not me! Anyway, the car I got has all the latest electronic gadgets and whistles and buttons. The main console is a 8 inch screen that can be menu'd for everything including the current weather in Antarctica. If anyone thinks that texting is distracting, well, I want to tell you this is four times worse. (at the very least)

The assumption is that you will make all your settings before you hit the highway, but, that is a pipe dream. You're driving down the road and decide that the temperature on your side of the car is to warm. Under the old technology all you had to do was reach over to the climate controls and slide a lever or turn a . Your eyes never had to leave the road. Now, you have to scan the screen to find the control that is surrounded by a million other options. You have to look at it because you have to touch that part of the screen that indicates what you are trying to do. That cannot be done in braille.

This is not a rant, this is a prediction! There will be more accidents because of this stuff then texting ever caused. The real problem is that unless the person dies with his or her finger on the screen, no one will know the reason and it is unlikely that anyone that gets into a non-fatal accident is going to just tell everyone that it was because they were trying to adjust the fan speed. It took forever for legislatures to ban texting... how many will die because no one wants to take away the new toy of the decade or for some reason, that I cannot wrap my head around, do not feel that it is a problem.

Along those lines, has anyone seen the commercial for the car that takes care of everything for you. The guy crosses the line (the car tells him he is over the line), he then pulls over into another lane without looking (again the car corrects his mistake) then he is daydreaming and almost runs into the rear of another car (until the car stops itself for him). The car is wonderful, the guy needs to have his license revoked. An infant could drive that car. My suggestion would be, if you don't want to drive... take a bus.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
For those who like the latest technology, as long as they can program absolutely everything prior to pulling out of their driveway, I have no problem with it.

As you pointed out, however, not everything can be done in advance. Per your example, the system does not allow for easily changing the car temperature, without the driver taking his eyes off the road. That's dangerous. Any distraction while driving, can quickly lead to an accident―and that goes for non-tech cars as well.

In conclusion, while the newer tech cars might make certain tasks easier, it does sound like there are some inherent flaws in the concept. At this point in time, I'm not a fan.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Let me start by saying that I am not anti-technology. I may not be as proficient as some, but, I really think it is cool and exciting.

That said, today I got a rental car while my baby is in the shop getting a face lift after an unfortunate incident where a person hit the front of it while backing up. Them not me! Anyway, the car I got has all the latest electronic gadgets and whistles and buttons. The main console is a 8 inch screen that can be menu'd for everything including the current weather in Antarctica. If anyone thinks that texting is distracting, well, I want to tell you this is four times worse. (at the very least)

The assumption is that you will make all your settings before you hit the highway, but, that is a pipe dream. You're driving down the road and decide that the temperature on your side of the car is to warm. Under the old technology all you had to do was reach over to the climate controls and slide a lever or turn a . Your eyes never had to leave the road. Now, you have to scan the screen to find the control that is surrounded by a million other options. You have to look at it because you have to touch that part of the screen that indicates what you are trying to do. That cannot be done in braille.

This is not a rant, this is a prediction! There will be more accidents because of this stuff then texting ever caused. The real problem is that unless the person dies with his or her finger on the screen, no one will know the reason and it is unlikely that anyone that gets into a non-fatal accident is going to just tell everyone that it was because they were trying to adjust the fan speed. It took forever for legislatures to ban texting... how many will die because no one wants to take away the new toy of the decade or for some reason, that I cannot wrap my head around, do not feel that it is a problem.

Along those lines, has anyone seen the commercial for the car that takes care of everything for you. The guy crosses the line (the car tells him he is over the line), he then pulls over into another lane without looking (again the car corrects his mistake) then he is daydreaming and almost runs into the rear of another car (until the car stops itself for him). The car is wonderful, the guy needs to have his license revoked. An infant could drive that car. My suggestion would be, if you don't want to drive... take a bus.

My suggestion would be to get a different rental. Kids today will be able to handle that interface with no problem before it becomes a standard feature.

Lucky

Shorter posts, please! How do you expect me to read all this while I'm driving - are you trying to cause an accident??

Nemo14

My suggestion would be to get a different rental. Kids today will be able to handle that interface with no problem before it becomes a standard feature.
I hear this one's available.
th

dadddio

What I've noticed is that a big chunk of the functions of vehicle touchscreens are disabled when the car isn't in park. Combine that with a bunch of the frequently used controls being relocated to the steering wheel and it's not really that big of a problem, if done well.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Yup, just like they can handle texting while driving. But, keep your dreams. Besides, it's not a matter of ability to use it, it is the distraction factor that is the problem.

SagamoreBeach

And my way of thinking it is just more to break down - malfunction and create an even bigger problem or danger. As impressed as I am with the new technologies in today's autos, I'm not very trusting of it.
-T

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom