Trip Report The Never-Ending Summer Of Disney *COMPLETED*

Seriously?!!

Can you believe it??

BC7AE996-5BB5-4770-9C10-F20CE1197633.jpeg

This is jaw-dropping news!!

If only.

Two things in life give me the blues ~ the end of summer and the end of a Disney vacation. A never-ending summer of Disney would be a dream come true! But I am certainly happy to “settle” for a WDW vacay in June....in July....and in August. 😊And rather than write three separate trip reports (and annoy @amjt660 when my *COMPLETED* report really isn’t 😉) I decided to take @Rista1313 ’s suggestion and post an ongoing travelogue, à la @blgauger style.

So let’s get started!

Vacation #1
June 16-24, 2018
Tuvalu, Woody and Em get pampered at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Was there rain? Any snarky Cast Members? Ridiculous guest behavior? A Magic meet-up? How many times did we watch Happily Ever After?

You’ll have to follow along to find out.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don’t think I’ve ever read a trip report with anyone eating at Diamond Horseshoe! And now I know why! :hilarious: Sucks that you had bad service, but it was fun reading about a “new” place!
Em and I don’t regret experiencing a “new” place either.

Diamond Horseshoe is the worst meal I’ve ever had in Disney. I was hoping your review would encourage me to give it another chance but I guess it stays on my NOPE list!
I’m not in a rush to go back. 😉

These photo’s are gorgeous!
May I ask where you were? Is that the exit of BTM?
We were on the boardwalk in Frontierland.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
PERFECT Aunt Edna pose! It should go viral. I love that your family does the whole vacation movie thing. I thought it was just us for a long time. My crazy sister and Brother in Law, actually came to Christmas Eve to our house- she completely decked out in leopard coat, crazy hat, with a green jello cat food mold, telling me she brought dessert... and he in a white sweater, black mock turtle neck, slicked back hair, and the most horrid white loafers. It was a hoot! Best Christmas ever. That we put up at least a kazillion lights made it even funnier.
You have a ton of great posts in your reports but I think this my absolute favorite thus far! 🤣
We are definitely a Vacation family! Your Christmas Eve story is a hoot! I don’t think I would have been able to stop laughing at your sister and BIL....very creative and so fun. 😂

Love the Aunt Edna pose.
Em gets the credit for it!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, July 25

“But with every new day there’s fresh hope.”
Ellen Griswald

I pondered Ellen’s words of wisdom when I awakened this morning. The weather forecast was calling for more storms. We’d planned another pool day and a late afternoon visit to Toy Story Land. There was also a chance we’d catch Illuminations for the first time in forever.

Surely our day wouldn’t be a total wash-out?

I chose to be optimistic as I quietly left the room to fetch breakfast. When I returned I opened the drapes to sunshine and woke Em.

“Rain’s not due until noon,” I told her. “Let’s eat and get ourselves to the pool!”

Stormalong Bay opened at 9 am. We were one of the first guests to arrive.
472FB5E2-E2E6-4A65-AA21-4F3931DD17E5.jpeg

Sun, glorious sun!

690DDCBE-96F4-4952-8168-0B97D86113EB.jpeg

It wasn’t long before Em found the relaxation grotto.

838F1FDB-FE56-48CA-8329-6D8BC0F0FE1D.jpeg

4A7727E9-7FD3-4BC0-8155-9BEA6B95C6E3.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The sun shone brightly for a grand total of 30 minutes. The dark clouds began to roll in.

9FABAB5F-4CBF-4B6C-AE7C-B14246691698.jpeg

5835C5EC-A50A-4925-9572-F09958343620.jpeg

Em and I remained in the water until the sky looked like this:
FE9422CC-0E8F-4180-8217-61A16C8C346A.jpeg

We got out in the nick of time. It started sprinkling so we grabbed our stuff off our loungers and headed for cover.

The lifeguards blew the whistle to close the pool and folks scrambled to leave.

8C1851FC-301B-4C95-9798-1202F6693BC4.jpeg

The deluge began.
B884A94B-449C-495D-8DAA-13F79240A1DF.jpeg

“But it’s not even 11 o’clock yet!”
9741382D-33A3-42D5-BAD1-5E5DA8D71576.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hoping the storm would pass quickly, we sat under cover and watched the rain.

For 45 minutes.

Eventually the drops slowed and then stopped. The lifeguards reopened the pool. We returned to our wet loungers and dried them off with fresh towels. It was still very cloudy but we were happy just to go back into the water.

There’s something about calm, soothing waves that refresh the soul.

After a little while we chose to get out in preparation for lunch. As luck would have it, a cabana boy came by and we placed our order. We were gonna eat at Hurricane Hanna’s (the poolside quick serve) anyway.

He brought our drinks first. A Pina Colada for me and a Frosé for Em.
3CC90067-57D5-4271-AEAE-90FE1D5EA683.jpeg

When he returned with our food the sky looked very menacing. In our dream world we would have enjoyed lunch while relaxing on our loungers.

But in the real world.....

“I’m betting the pool is gonna close any minute,” Cabana Boy said. “And trust me, I don’t want it to close any more than you do! But my weather app is indicating lightning strikes nearby.”

“Let me close our tab,” I replied. I tallied his tip and handed him the wallet.

Without opening our food containers, Em and I packed up and headed for the Solarium. Remember this loveseat from earlier in my report?
F9E4306D-F856-4925-B739-284DCFC73A18.jpeg

It became our lunch spot!
7CC3A94B-D835-4661-B87B-E4155FD25757.jpeg

Em and I ordered the same thing. (Shocker!!)
Grilled chicken sandwich on a pretzel roll with smoked cheddar, lettuce and tomato.

2F47A189-863B-4E8A-ACF1-259DCFDE18F7.jpeg

This sandwich was so yummy that I replicated it this week when I found pretzel rolls at a local grocer. :hungry:

Cabana Boy was right.
8DCFC285-1053-416A-B701-0DD8D36370CC.jpeg

As we ate more people filtered into the Solarium. We didn’t want to be table hogs so we got up as soon as we finished.

On our way to the elevator we noticed the new floral arrangement @Mamaof5.
FE10A88F-B036-46CA-92CE-9518BFF89109.jpeg

slipperalwaysfits

Just catching up!! You girls are sure making the most of it and doing a great job working around the rainstorms!! I'm so glad you love TSL!! I'm excited to see it, and I'm especially glad that Saucers doesn't look too intense, I have a bit of motion issues, too (not many, but definitely no teacups for me, ever!!) Your spot for watching HEA is one of our favorites, too! :happy::happy:

Don't worry, I can never even come close to Zurg, that ride is fun but beyond my skill level right now, lol!
Too bad about the Diamond Horseshoe restaurant but I'm so envious Tomorrowland Terrace was open! It's NEVER open when we're there in November!

WHAT IS the better way to "merge" at the HM? That's always driven me crazy, too when we come out of the stretching room!?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Leave it up to you to get around the forum police. :hilarious:
It’s not my first rodeo. :joyfull:

WHAT IS the better way to "merge" at the HM? That's always driven me crazy, too when we come out of the stretching room!?:banghead::banghead::banghead:
The better way is for the cast member working the front door to not allow any more guests inside until one of the stretching rooms has cleared the merge point. Too many guests inside (where there is not much room) = the crazy crush in the loading area. Some CMs are good at figuring capacity; most aren’t.

That's got to be one of the most exquisite and creative floral arrangements ever!! :inlove::happy:
Isn’t it lovely?

93boomer

Premium Member
The feature piece is the “World Famous” Player Piano.

View attachment 302570

One would think the piano would play continually (as background music.) It does not. It plays only one song every 15 minutes. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The Diamond Horseshoe is “all you can eat” (or in Disney-speak “all you care to enjoy”)served family style.
View attachment 302571

View attachment 302572

Service was as SLOW as molasses. Our server was pleasant but we sat there quite awhile before she came over and acknowledged us and took our drink order.

What had she been doing? Draping the guests at a nearby table with tablecloths.
View attachment 302573(To be fair, it was a bit chilly in the restaurant.)

She brought our drinks and several minutes later set down cornbread which she described as “the best you’ll ever eat!” Em and I are not huge cornbread eaters, but we shared a piece and agreed that for cornbread, it was pretty darn tasty.

With the cornbread came potato salad, a mixed greens salad and a watermelon salad. As we nibbled on the salads, our server came by to “scold” us for not eating more of the cornbread. (This is not Whispering Canyon or 50s Prime Time, so keep the snark to yourself lady!)
View attachment 302574

Em and I then sat there awkwardly for awhile waiting for the main dishes to arrive.
When our server finally returned, she set down the “sides” ~ macaroni and cheese, cole slaw and baked beans. But no meats. We sampled a little of each (each dish was very good) but did not fill up our plates as we wanted to eat the sides with the meats.
View attachment 302575

Thirty minutes later our server arrived with the mains ~ brisket, grilled chicken and BBQ pulled pork. And two pitiful pieces of corn on the cob.

View attachment 302576

It may have been “all you can eat”.....but our server was clearly controlling WHEN we could eat! It was ridiculous because all the food given to us was in warmers on the bar behind our table (much like a buffet.) She was only taking care of two other tables in addition to ours (there were plenty of other servers.)

She never brought the beverage refills she promised. She passed by Em a couple times and said, “I’m watching your Coke”....but clearly she wasn’t. I finally had to flag her down (after watching her drape another table of guests with tablecloths!)

The grilled chicken and pulled pork were delicious. The brisket was dry and the only item we didn’t care for (besides the cob corn.)

When we finished eating, we made it obvious that we were DONE so as not to endure a long wait for dessert.
It didn’t work.
After passing by us a few times and conversing with us (we said we were done), our server chose to occupy herself by cleaning dishes from EMPTY tables while dirty dishes remained on ours.

View attachment 302577
Now you have to understand ~ the restaurant was not seating anymore. It was 8:30 pm and the hot bar had already closed up.

And we were still waiting on dessert!

In hindsight we should have asked for the check and skipped dessert. The desserts ~ blueberry cobbler, peach cheesecake and chocolate pound cake ~ were clearly thawed-from-frozen.

View attachment 302578

Of course we did not escape the incredulous “You didn’t eat your desserts!” comment from our server.
“We’re full,” I smiled. “Check, please.”

When it was all over, dinner had taken 90 minutes. No non-signature meal for two (without a show or character interaction) should take 90 minutes!

Diamond Horseshoe is a one-and-done for us. Whenever we’re in the mood for similar fare we’ll go to Trail’s End ~ better service and cheaper!!
Oh my not a great dining experience! We will not be eating here any time soon.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

It should come as no surprise that when we opened our room door we found the room unserviced. Were we still being punished for being in our room at 8:30 am on our first day (when the housekeeper was ready to clean)? It sure felt like it. :bored:

We decided to take showers anyway, figuring that would likely cause a housekeeping knock on the door.

It didn’t.

In fact it was well over an hour later before the knock came. Em and I were relaxing on our beds so we just had the housekeeper service the bathroom. In just a few minutes she was done.

Meanwhile we noticed a few sunbeams peeking through our window. Dry conditions certainly boosted our spirits! When we got to the boat dock any evidence of the earlier storms was gone.

5AC7D6BA-224E-48F9-ADEB-2BA376F1134A.jpeg

E4509E6F-0B6B-4334-8880-E97979D64C76.jpeg

Gondola construction crane at the International Gateway.
566614DD-A327-4B69-B23E-716EC0C59D6E.jpeg

Happy gals!
4BB0ECE8-0615-43D3-A4FE-47E872EEDE31.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom