The negatives of Saratoga resort?

Jarissa

I haven't been there yet, myself, but some of the folks in this older thread had some interesting things to say about Saratoga. I was particularly interested in the Treehouses, but they talked some about the entire resort.

Hope that'll help until the experienced folks get a chance to speak up here!

tjkraz

Probably the most oft mentioned "con" is that Saratoga Springs isn't within walking distance of a theme park. Many people seem to expect that for Deluxe/DVC accommodations and it's one reason why SSR isn't at the top of their list.

Others have complained that the resort is "very big." While it is a large resort, most of the resort services (front desk, restaurants, pool, gift shop) are all grouped together. It's not like you need to cris-cross the resort in order to use different features and amenities.

SSR is the only DVC resort with an attached golf course. (The course also runs through the grounds of Old Key West but the clubhouse is at Saratoga.)

It has a world class spa.

There are currently two restaurants and a third is scheduled to open later this summer.

There are a total of 5 pools. Currently there is one "feature pool" with a slide, lifeguards, etc. But a second feature pool will open in June.

The resort is within walking distance of Downtown Disney. There are also boats which run on a regular schedule between SSR and DTD.

The 3-bedroom Treehouse Villas are very appealing to some. They are secluded stand-alone buildings which sleep up to 9 guests, have private decks, three bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, BBQ facilities, etc. There are only 60 treehouses so they can be hard to book by non-owners.

Coach81

SSR is our home resort, we LOVE it there!!!

Pros- the Springs.. the atmosphere.. the fitness center, the pool.. the theming...DTD..treehouse villas are fantastic..

Cons- it is "big"..but not sure that is a con???

YayorNay

Original Poster
How is the bus service at saratoga? Do you deal with long waits often? Some complain about long walks to the restaurant but not sure what they are considering a long walk to be.

Pioneer Hall

I have heard a lot of people complain that the theme is lacking and it is "non-disney". Personally, I don't see what the problem is with the theme and I think that the resort seems fine. With that in mind though, I do see it as a comparable accomodation to OKW since the size, ammenities, location, etc are all similar. However, the rooms at SSR can cost you quite a few more points over OKW depeding on the season that you go. I liked OKW when I stayed there, and I am sure that I would enjoy Saratoga as well. However, given that I view them as somewhat similar locations it would be hard for me to justify staying there over OKW if both are available. I'm sure I will visit some day in the course of the next 46 years of my contract, but it isn't on my must do list yet.

Phonedave

SSR is a different 'feel' than most other DVC resorts becuase it is stand alone. It is not connected to another resort. It does not have rooms off of a lobby. The rooms are in buildings, and the doors are on the inside, but the halls are just open to the air.

For me, that gives it a differnt feel than staying in an enclosed hotel. I happen to own at SSR and I like it. I do try to stay at VWL just because that is my favorite, but when I do have to stay at SSR I have no problems with it.

It used to be great when PI was open - you could walk back :)

-dave

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
My opinions haven't changed since the previous thread. The retirement community feel does hee haw for me. But best of all Im not forced to stay there (with continuing luck).

slappy magoo

SSR is pretty big and spread out. How much of a negative that is depends on your own tastes and perhaps what room or section they book you. And I think the counter-service, Artist's Palette, is often not big enough to accommodate a resort that size.

Not to be too much of a broken record, but when I'm there, I like staying at the Congress Park section. It has a quiet pool, but it's not that far of a walk to the main building and pool, and it's also the shortest walk to get to the Marketplace side of Downtown Disney. When we stay there, we'll often walk to the Marketplace for breakfast rather than brave the Palette. One thing I wished it had is onsite boat rentals. I'm fairly certain they don't, but will get you to OKW, where they do. They do offer bike rentals on site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom