The Muppets

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
Independant radio stations here in the UKare making a big play on the return of jim Hensons creatures. Promising a new TV series a movie and a number of activities to raise the profile.

Is this perhaps the signs that Disney will also do something with the brand in the parks??

AEfx

We won't know anything until "Muppet Wizard of Oz" airs next month.

If it's a hit, then we can expect a return of the Muppets. If it's not...then who knows?

I have really enjoyed the promos they've been showing of Kermit going down the yellow brick road and having to decide which sign to follow - "Oz" or "Wisteria Lane".

I found it an odd juxtaposition at first, but then quite amusing. :) LOL, I'd love for him and Piggy to guest star on DH. ;)

AEfx

tigsmom

I can't wait for the return of the muppets and am looking forwar to Muppet Wizard of Oz, even though I really dislike the story.
Hopefully we will be able to enjoy them for many years to come.

EpcotGrl

AEfx said:
I have really enjoyed the promos they've been showing of Kermit going down the yellow brick road and having to decide which sign to follow - "Oz" or "Wisteria Lane".

AEfx

Hee! The first time I saw that promo I choked on my dinner!! I'm VERY excited about the return of the Muppets :sohappy:

BigNorm

Can't wait for the return of the Muppets too. I remember having a stuffed Scooter growing up, he was my favourite in the days before Clifford. Everyone has to watch Oz so we can get more from the Frog and Pig clique. I've got five words for you all: Pigs in Space: The Movie! Now that would be awesome. That's the movie (or WDW attraction) I want to see.

imagineer boy

Ooohhh!!!!! I'm so excited for the muppet wizard of oz! I'd better be a hit though. I would love to see the return of the muppets! I've heard that they might do a brand new muppet show, and perhaps something like a Muppet's American idol. That would be funny! :lol: I definately would love to see the return of the muppets. You gotta love em!

tigsmom

BigNorm said:
I've got five words for you all: Pigs in Space: The Movie! Now that would be awesome. That's the movie (or WDW attraction) I want to see.

Ahhh.... The Swinetrek! :sohappy:

Slacking

I saw this yesterday at imdb.com in their news section:

New Muppets TV Series in the Works
A new primetime television series featuring the Muppets is currently in early production in England, and the producers have lined up some big-name stars, including Jennifer Lopez and Ricky Gervais, star of the original British version of The Office, the London Times, reported today (Thursday). The original Muppet Show, which aired during the '70s and '80s and became one of the most profitable syndicated TV series in history, was also produced in England, as were many of the feature films starring the Jim Henson characters. Now owned by Disney, the Muppets Holding Company is also planning new forays into television (upcoming: an ABC special on May 20, The Muppets' Wizard of Oz) music, stage shows, theme parks, and the Internet. The Times noted that even mobile-phone wallpaper, ring tones, and mobile video clips will be coming within a few months

Tom

Beta Return
I LOVE the Muppets. I have the plush Kermit and Gonzo dolls, that they sell in the parks, sitting on the shelving above my computer at work. I LOVED the Wizard of Oz, and I love the Muppets - this show is gonna be great!

Number_6

I have Beaker and Swedish Chef plushes. Those two are my favorites, followed closely by Scooter, Statler and Waldorf.

Epcot82Guy

I (and can't believe I'm about to say this) wish they would advertise this more. This is the first I have heard of Muppet Wizard of Oz, and I watch a decent amount of TV (and no cable, so get the "local" channels). I think this sounds GREAT. I love the Muppets and their humor. I hope it pops up on Yahoo and some other sites so that people tune in to see it.

Also, I think it is interesting that "theme parks" are listed in that list of places they are scheduled to invade. With Disney ownership, it seems VERY unlikely they would appear anywhere but the 5 resorts, so perhaps that is a tiny tiny tiny omen as well that things could be in the works.

erasure fan1

I would love to see the muppets added more into the parks. They are my favorite, more so than any Disney character. My whole life I have been a muppet fan and I sure hope OZ is a hit and we get some great (not the cheap cheesy stuff) merchandise.

GenerationX

Slacking said:
I saw this yesterday at imdb.com in their news section:

New Muppets TV Series in the Works
A new primetime television series featuring the Muppets is currently in early production in England, and the producers have lined up some big-name stars, including Jennifer Lopez and Ricky Gervais, star of the original British version of The Office, the London Times, reported today (Thursday). The original Muppet Show, which aired during the '70s and '80s and became one of the most profitable syndicated TV series in history, was also produced in England, as were many of the feature films starring the Jim Henson characters. Now owned by Disney, the Muppets Holding Company is also planning new forays into television (upcoming: an ABC special on May 20, The Muppets' Wizard of Oz) music, stage shows, theme parks, and the Internet. The Times noted that even mobile-phone wallpaper, ring tones, and mobile video clips will be coming within a few months
Wow, is this great news! The original Muppet Show was one of the funniest shows ever, and MuppetVision 3D is the funniest attraction in all of WDW.

[Animal] MUHHH-PETTTTS!! MUHHH-PETTTTS!! [/Animal]

AEfx

EpcotGrl said:
Hee! The first time I saw that promo I choked on my dinner!! I'm VERY excited about the return of the Muppets :sohappy:

LOL I was half asleep when I saw it and it wasn't until the second time that I actually was awake enough to realize it was real. ;) I mean, I knew about the film, but I honestly thought I dreamed the promo!

I really do hope for a return of the Muppets. What I wouldn't do for a dark ride based on them - I mean, there never has been a more perfect franchise to make one out of. The Muppets are already 3-dimensional objects - to get to see them "live" and moving would be quite a treat (save for the few in Muppetvision at MGM).

I'm also excited for the full-season sets of the original show that are coming out later this year - and Fraggle Rock too! It's too bad Disney doesn't have Fraggle rights too...

AEfx

crazycalf

The Muppet Wizard of Oz premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC on the Wed that just passed.

I didn't have time to go see it though, hopefully I'll be able to watch it when it comes on ABC.

goofyfan13

I skimmed through here and didn't see anything mentioned already, but if this show is a hit, we can count on a new theme park attraction based around the muppets. I was looking through my annual report today and managed to spot this little clip.

The Walt Disney Company 2004 Annual Report said:
New plans for television shows, feature films, music, stage plays and theme park attractions starring the Muppets are in the works.

Stage plays also caught my attention. That could be very interesting.

AEfx

goofyfan13 said:
Stage plays also caught my attention. That could be very interesting.

For sure. That's the beauty of Muppets and Disney, and was something that Henson was eager to exploit before his death.

Unlike translating animated characters to AudioAnimatronic, Muppets already exist in the "real" 3-dimensional world.

While Disney does an amazing job of bringing us into those animated worlds (think Splash Mountain), they wouldn't have to break that dimensional wall in the same way. They are already puppets, it's just a matter of what is controlling them.

Kermit, "life sized" could be sitting right in front of you talking and looking identical to what he does on TV. That's pretty frickin' magical if you ask me. Most of us will never see the Muppets in person, and if you are that lucky you will have to suspend the disbelief when you see that they perform on a raised platform with guys (and girls) with arms up their behinds controling them.

Muppetvision is such a tease. When I was very small (say, 3 or 4) a carnival came to town and had a dark fun-house themed to the Muppet show. However, the entire time the fair was in my town it was broken. I'm sure it was pretty cheesy (yet still have no idea what was inside) but ever since then I have had a fantasy of a real Muppet experience. Disney has the power to make that happen - let's just hope they use it.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom