The Monorail Theme Park collection

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
Hello everyone, im new to the site and Im officially saying I have a problem :) a few years back I received my first monorail ( green stripe ) as a gift. I tried avoiding the collection knowing how large it is. So it began....
I started my research and immediately saw how much money people are willing to spend to feed the monorail addiction. I started to purchase the affordable pieces and I was also lucky enough to find some at yard sales. 2 years later and I have acquired a large portion by buying and selling and restoring, I managed to stay out of my pockets and build my set by selling other toys. I developed a interesting system.
So, I am at the point where I want to hear from other people out there. Where are my Monorailoholics :)?
I would love to share pictures , videos and ideas...
I haven't built my replica model yet. currently all in boxes taking up a ton of space in the basement and I have a crazy idea of building a room down there just for all of our Disney items. I have a ton of ideas. There are some great videos out there especially a gentleman by the name of Steven Bailey

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That is a cool video. I have a monorail set and some of the associated buildings boxed up. Have been thinking about setting them back up.

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
This is what I have acquired in the last two years....
Monorail green , blue , orange , red , yellow , black , gold , silver ,teal , purple , lime and coral
Polynesian (with extra station which then makes it actual length of monorail)
Grand floridian
Contemporary
Wilderness lodge
First gen spaceship earth
Cinderella's castle
MGM sorcerers hat
Tree of life
Astro orbitor
Mad tea party
Dumbo ride
Space mountain
Main Street station
HO railroad train
5 resort signs and archway
Haunted mansion and buggy
Autopia speedway
Attraction connectors
Enough track for the addict
Extra signs and trees etc. (3 pack)
Test track
Star tours vehicle
Rock n roll coaster
Time rover from dinosaurs ride
1988 sears townsquare with complete accessorys (tourists , horse and carriage , tree , lights etc)
Muppets 3D (large scale bank)

Also have the California adventure paradise pier collection. Instead of listing all those parts ill just say I'm only missing the red trolley.

I have so many idea on making custom parts as well. I would like to make the people traveler and carousel of progress. I love the classics.

I may be missing some. Hard to remember it all off the top of my head. It's massive. I'll add pictures soon

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Back in the 2000s McDonalds had a series of Disney characters in happy meals. I have a bunch of those that I used to display with my monorail as it circled around the top of my office. I have the castle, SE, Poly, Contemp, and something else I can't recall. Really need to get that stuff out.

westie

I have a wdw and a dca monorail set. I set one up around the Christmas tree every winter. The dca monorail comes with a golden gate bridge that used to be at the main gates to dca. Here's my question. Both monorails have trouble going around the track as it seems the wheels that propel it don't really grip anymore. Is there a solution to fix this? Thanks.

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
First id like to say Thanks for checking out my post.
From my experience , I've noticed over time dirt and grim build up on the gear and wheel itself. There are a few screws on the bottom of the front engine car that will allow you to expose the components. I use a jewelers screw driver to avoid stripping or breaking the screws. I use a QTip with a little rubbing alcohol on it to clean it up. If you don't want to open up the monorail , try compressed air and clean the rubber wheel with rubbing alcohol. They don't sell replacement parts for these things. I try to find broken ones in bad shape and take off any parts that may be usable to fix them if they do start to break. Some guys replace the parts with better made engines which make them faster but I like keeping mine original. It's a cool collection but made so poorly. Some of them didn't work brand new out of the box.

bobquincy

I am making replacement parts by machining and 3D printing. Let me know what you need. I also install radio control, upgraded audio, and of course faster motors. The most exciting thing is WhisperJet, a fast, smooth, quiet belt drive system that installs in place of the original gearbox.

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
Hello again. Trying to reboot this post. I see so many people buying the Disney attraction collection set yet I see no one building it or getting creative with layouts. Since my last post I've been able to acquire all but 2 diecast attractions. I want to start really getting into this again. I'll start posting pictures soon. Any ideas or others out there like me who are building their own miniature Disney parks share your thoughts.

bobquincy

That is a great layout and video!
Here is a photo of an urban transportation layout, not mine but I provided the (operating) N scale monorail.
IMG_0364.JPG

My own N scale layout is started and I expect to have it running soon, same monorail and beam.

Last edited:

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
Finally found my last two diecast vehicles this week. Matterhorn and Pinocchio. Think I officially completed this enormous collection minus Disneyland haunted mansion. Search continues. Will post photos soon.

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
While waiting for my die casts I bought a second Pinocchio , never see them pop up. These things are really sky rocketing in cost.

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
I'm looking for the Disneyland version of the haunted mansion from the attraction collection. Anyone selling or have leads ? E bY is dry.

Monorailoholic

Original Poster
Just finished my new Disney inspired road signs
Hope you are having a magical day

Attachments

• IMG_2506.JPG
    IMG_2506.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2497.JPG
    IMG_2497.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 148

tonymu

Premium Member
Check out my WDW Monorail setup:

Walt Disney World in Bellaire, Texas (Houston)

This in version 1 of what should be many updates and improvements over the coming years. It will go up for Christmas from Thanksgiving to New Years. It was built over the pond. Everything that ran on batteries was converted to run on either a 9v or 5v line. Almost all incandescent bulbs were converted to LED and LOTS of LEDs were added to light everything up. The monorail was converted from running on batteries to using a train controller and running power to the monorail through strips of copper tape on the beams. Many things were printed with the 3D printer and a number of things were created with Lego.

Click for Video
Click for more Photos

View attachment 437201

View attachment 437200View attachment 437202View attachment 437203View attachment 437204View attachment 437205View attachment 437206View attachment 437207View attachment 437201

ppete1975

im just waiting for someone to make a double decker setup with the utilidors under it and a jungle cruise with real water and backside of water

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom