the LIVING SEAS

figmentmom

Rabid Disney fan that I am, I have aways thought that The Living Seas is a snoozer. We always skip it. Too bad, I guess, but it would need some MAJOR sprucing-up before I would spend precious Disney time there.

THX-1701

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by blackride
This isnt exactly a rumor. Eisner is the one who said it. It is well documented from a speech given a week ago.

Exactly what are his plans for the living seas?

Moustronaut

I've always loved the Living Seas for what it was modeled to be... an undersea research from the future.

I went there in 1986 right after it had opened. Thought the themed hydrolators were just awesome, especially they way the moon pools bubble when they start to decend. and then when you got off the ride and walked into this area that looked just like a sci fi seabase should look, complete with lock-out chamber. Even thought the 2 story floor to celing giant kelp tubes where really cool.

Admittedly though, even in 1986 this was the attraction that most ressembled a science museum instead of an ammusement part attraction.

Now it's got more issues; looks dated, needs sprucing up and cleaning, and many of the original exhibts are closed, removed, or whatever and their replacements (the sea lab computers) aren't that interesting.

So can an attraction survive by themeing alone? Back in 1986 pop culture told us what the future would be. The year 2000 was going to be a magical time of discovery. The worlds shown in Horizons and The Living Seas were just right around the corner.

But now in 2003, concepts of the world of the future aren't so well known. Our culture has "lost" these grand icons of the future, and haven't found replacements. The average joe doesn't comprehend the technology and science that are the cutting edge of research today or at least can't relate it to their every day life.

I guess the Living Seas, and by extention all of the original Future World attractions, have become fashion victims. No one seems to think of the future in the same way they used to so why would they want to go to an ammusement park that showcases these old concepts.

I hated to see Horizons go, and i'd hate to see Living Seas or Spaceship Earth go the same way, but I can totally understand why.

Dayma

Could someone explain to me what the Living Seas used to be like, and is now?

Its honestly not that much different. The one thing was that after you watched the video after entering you got on the elevators that took u to the ride which was kind of like Transit Authority in which it was a slow ride though the tanks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom