The Imagineering Story on Disney+

BasiltheBatLord

I’m assuming that they’re going to get less “honest” about stuff the closer we get to present day. I’d be surprised if they do anything other than gloss over the DCA opening issues for example.

lazyboy97o

I’m assuming that they’re going to get less “honest” about stuff the closer we get to present day. I’d be surprised if they do anything other than gloss over the DCA opening issues for example.
Why? Disney’s California Adventure‘s poor performance is now blamed on the lack of franchises. Iger gets credit for “fixing” the park, especially now that Lasseter isn’t going to be credited.

Indy_UK

Just watched Episode 2. I don’t get why people are so die hard Epcot fans. Apart from the idea of community, Epcot is nothing like Walt imaged so I don’t get why people are so defensive about its updates?

lazyboy97o

Just watched Episode 2. I don’t get why people are so die hard Epcot fans. Apart from the idea of community, Epcot is nothing like Walt imaged so I don’t get why people are so defensive about its updates?
Because EPCOT Center was still based on grand, optimistic ideas. It was loved for what it was, not a shallow connection to Walt. The updates are based on appeasing people who think theme parks are stupid entertainment for stupid people that they tried to sell them off.

doctornick

I have enjoyed the episodes, but feel like this could be a longer series. Both of the first two episodes could have been split into two separate 1 hour episodes and provided more information.

Sir_Cliff

For me, the episode underlined exactly why people look back so fondly on EPCOT Center. Whether you liked it or not, it was undeniably an incredibly ambitious undertaking not just in terms of its scale but in what they were setting out to achieve. It had a guiding ethos and a notion that it was supposed to be more than just another theme park. For that reason, Epcot became a cultural touchstone in a similar way to Disneyland in that people have some image in their head as soon as they hear the word. That's true even though the park has been drifting aimlessly for more than 20 years now.

Stuff like Pandora or Galaxy's Edge may be fun and impressive in scale, but it feels like that era when Disney thought big is over.

lazyboy97o

For that reason, Epcot became a cultural touchstone in a similar way to Disneyland in that people have some image in their head as soon as they hear the word. That's true even though the park has been drifting aimlessly for more than 20 years now.
Even now, Disney is aware that EPCOT Center has far, far more cultural cache than Epcot. The new Epcot is being wrapped in the imagery of EPCOT Center because Disney wants you to think tearing down a building because they don’t know how to fill it means they’re being ambitious.

Dunston

Since they now have the rights, Disney should just include Simpsons making dogs at both California Adventure and Euro Disneyland.

DE_DISNEY

The first two episodes were really good. Do you think the focus on the parks will be limited to this series or do you expected Disney to release additional content?

RobWDW1971

For me, the episode underlined exactly why people look back so fondly on EPCOT Center. Whether you liked it or not, it was undeniably an incredibly ambitious undertaking not just in terms of its scale but in what they were setting out to achieve. It had a guiding ethos and a notion that it was supposed to be more than just another theme park. For that reason, Epcot became a cultural touchstone in a similar way to Disneyland in that people have some image in their head as soon as they hear the word. That's true even though the park has been drifting aimlessly for more than 20 years now.

Stuff like Pandora or Galaxy's Edge may be fun and impressive in scale, but it feels like that era when Disney thought big is over.
I wish Galaxy’s Edge was fun :(

rocketraccoon

I haven't watched Song of the South yet, was that clip they showed during the Splash Mountain portion from the movie? It looked really cleaned up

Animaniac93-98

I haven't watched Song of the South yet, was that clip they showed during the Splash Mountain portion from the movie? It looked really cleaned up

Song of the South was "restored" for its late 90s video reissue in the UK and other countries. The clip is likely from that standard definition source.

The second cartoon segment with the Tar Baby is the one where Br'er Rabbit tricks the fox by begging him not to throw him in the Briar Patch, like he says just before the big drop in the ride. Songs, gags and characters from all three cartoon segments are used in the ride.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Funny part of the second show of the series in mentioning that the MK opening was thought to be a dud because it wasn't overwhelmed with huge crowds like the original DL was (only 10,000 attending). The reason? People stayed away because they thought it would be too crowded.

Sound familiar?

Anyway... it deflates the theory that a ghost-town opening means failure.
It really only proves something if you have a predetermined agenda.

lazyboy97o

Baxter’s opening monologue was great, as was Delaney’s after the Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune segment.

I’m reading Work in Progress and was wondering if there was footage of the protest.

The materiality of Disneyland Paris really does set it apart.

Interesting that the show frames Baxter as “inspired” by Davis and ignores his time working under Davis on Thunder Mesa. Davis was quite sour about Baxter getting the roller coaster built without everything else.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Loving this series and can’t wait to see what’s next - given that the next episode will likely touch on Animal Kingdom & Tokyo DisneySEA (as well as an elephant in the room or two), it’ll surely be an interesting one!

erasure fan1

Not to be crass, but if you watch that Episode, and still don't get what made epcot special, you probably never will. And that is OK. Epcot didn't hit everyone the same way. But for those it connected with, nothing has come close to matching it. Some of my most profound memories of Disney, are seabase alpha, seeing the dinosaurs in energy, Horizons. There was a sense of wonder and inspiration grounded in something more real. I didn't always need a character to entertain me. That's what the magic kingdom was for, and I loved that too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom