Trip Report the "I can't eat anymore steak!!!, Wishes vs HEA, snake incident" Trip report. May 2017

IMG_6562nb.jpg

Disney Dreaming:inlove:

So we're back.... and I cannot even express the sadness I'm feeling already. There may have been silent tears.. who am I kidding!! There were definitely tears!! :bawling::bawling::bawling: I could put it down to jet lag but I feel its the PDD kicking in a little earlier than usual.:(
BUT
I thought what better way to try and pull myself through this emotional state (other than booking another trip...watch this space ;)) but to start my trip report for you lovely lot! But mostly so that I can re-live our fabulous and sometimes a little less fabulous holiday moments! :facepalm:

This trip has been so up and down for us with some things surpassing our expectations but with others failing miserably to meet our personal ones at all. That said, I'm not here to complain at all but just to express our personal experiences whilst we were there! They may be waaaaay different to others opinions.:):)
We also didn't know what to expect with travelling another family and there being so many of us which we just aren't used to. We realised about half way through the holiday that the plans that we all made together re: dining, park selections & pool time were very different to what we had all discussed before leaving, therefore myself, sister and mum decided it would be every man for themselves and they could fit in with us as and when they liked which seemed to work out really well for us..as you will find out! ;)

I warn you now...the first few days I COMPLETELY forgot (in my state of excitement and jetlag) to write any notes so I will be working purely from memory and hopefully photo prompts :)facepalm: MY BAD) which leads me nicely to photos.. I will now inform you that my photography skills are certainly not to the standard of some of the reports I have seen here..BUT.. I did give it my best go and I hope any photographers reading don't cringe too much!! :angelic:

So, without further ado, please sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the ride along our Disney Vacation!! A trip full of firsts, lasts, excitement, lots of sunshine, (a few) tears :oops: but oh so much magic!! :happy::inlove:

If you do fancy a read of my PTR just so you're filled in with who, what, where, when and why here it is http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/my-first-pre-trip-report-may-2017.924079/

Heeerreee weeeee goooooooo!!! :brb:

Last edited:

Songbird76

So lets go…

May the 4th be with you- Travel Day

Our alarms were set for 3:45am as we excitedly got ourselves packed and into bed for a reasonable hour……WHO AM I KIDDING!? There’s a 145% chance that I didn’t sleep one single bit!

But anyway… We “woke up” at 3:45am and showered and had a light breakfast and cup of tea (of course in a Disney mug). I don’t know about everyone else but I can never eat breakfast so early but I always end up sooooooo hungry about an hour later! Little did I know I would never be less hungry than I was on this holiday ever again…but more on that later!

My partner was driving us to the train station about an hour away so we needed to be setting off at 4:30am in-case there were any overnight road works. This helped us so much so that we didn’t have to leave a car there for 2 weeks but bless him he had to turn straight back round and drive back then go straight off to work for the day! :angelic: Turned out we had plenty of time. (We do have a train station in our town however the earliest train out is 7am..I know…Crazy. So we drove to the main city station to get the all night airport train)

We arrived at the station around 5:35am and located our platform and got another cup of tea. If the rest of our group didn’t know we had arrived they certainly did once we had run screaming down the platform shouting “IT’S HERE, WE’RE FINANLLY GOINGGGGG!!!” along with everyone within a 3 mile radius…teehee.

View attachment 206766

Our train arrived perfectly on time and we set off at 5:55am. The journey was non eventful as we all chattered and napped most of the way. We arrived into the airport station and went to our terminal and through security. Now usually…I’m one of those that goes through security without a hitch whereas every around me bleeps through the scanner but today was my day. Alarms beeping, in and out of scanners, bag searches!! Well I can tell you now I’m one to panic so I am THE worst person for them to do a random selection of for extra checks!!! This involved a very stern lady asking me to tell her exactly the contents of my hand luggage etc etc and she wanted to do extra checks…turns out my curling tong was in there and they didn’t know what it was……STUPID CURLERS!! Anyway…….20 traumatic minutes later we were through and ready for some breakfast- of course, only after we made our way through duty free and had a few spritz of perfume we found one of the only restaurants in our terminal Jennys Spinning wheel??!! I think?! We had eggs on toast (rubber eggs.YUK) and booked our Universal tickets on the Ipad. We were only in there around 20 mins before our gate number was called so we really didn’t have that much waiting around time before we were on our way!!

All I will say after both the journey there and back is I will NEVER fly with Virgin again. Absolutely pathetic planes and food. Now I can usually get comfortable anywhere but there was zero chance any of us would be getting comfortable at any point during either flights. It was out of sheer luck on the way out myself and my sister bagsied a middle row to ourselves and got 2 seats each. No such luck on the way home. Flight was fairly turbulent throughout and had to remain with seatbelts on but other than that was fine. We were just excited to get there!!!!! I watched Florence Foster Jenkins and Moana (love it) and listened to my music for a while and we arrived into Orlando local time 2:10pm.

Security was an absolute farce. Sorry I know it’s important to know who is coming in and out of the countries and make sure its safe for everyone but why on EARTH do you have to go through passport check using machines to then wait another hour for someone to do the exact same thing at a desk?!? Is this only a UK flight thing or is it for everyone?! It was absolutely boiling in that room and there was 4 desks open …..out of 25!!! The mind boggles. However… once we managed to get through the other side we found our way to the Magical Express. It was nice to be using a different queue to the All Star Resorts for once…especially because they were filled with Cheerleaders (which I have nothing against and we didn’t encounter any problems with throughout our stay- I was just very tired and the chanting may have sent me over the edge!) we waited about 15 mins for our bus.. the process seemed very smooth for us and we were on the bus and at Riverside Resort in 30 mins.
View attachment 206767
Very tired bunnies!
View attachment 206768
Unfortunately because of the road works we didn't go under the sign so this is my pathetic attempt at getting a photo!!

So after reading this back as I’m typing I have done SO much complaining really but now onto the good stuff. This resort is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I am in love with it and I don’t feel like I could ever want to stay anywhere else. We were in block 37 of the Alligator Bayou section in room 3704. Initially we thought this would be a little bit secluded and too far from the main block but in reality it was perfect. We had a quiet pool right next to our block which we used daily and the North Terminal bus stop was basically on our doorstep. Very good location for people who don’t use the main pool and only use the food court for breakfast. The other two rooms we had were 3703 and 3753. By the time we were all settled into our rooms it was around 6pm so we decided to have a little mooch around the grounds and head up to the dining hall for a quick service dinner and to get our refillable mugs.
View attachment 206771
Just a little snap on the way to the main building :inlove:

My favourite offering was the “make your own salad” bar. They were divine and you got so much of it! It’s nice to know and you can tell other people who haven’t been that you don’t have to eat unhealthily while you’re there. There is so much on offer including healthy options...although the ranch dressing I bathed it in probably had a fair few calories in….! As far as I can remember the rest of the group got 2 x large pizzas to share, 2 x chicken tenders and chips (fries) and some other offerings from the grill and mum got salad with me! Sorry I don't have any pictures from the food this night. Don't worry though there will be plenty food pictures later on! After a long day for everyone we thought a reasonable night would be a good idea so we were in bed around 10:30pm.

Did we sleep? Were we refreshed enough for a full day in MK? Stay tuned! :cyclops:
I never remember to take food pictures at all, so if you did, kudos to you! We'd get halfway through a meal and DD would say "Mom!! We forgot to take a picture!

Songbird76

We wandered up to the Castle excitedly for our reservation. Everything was going well, we met Cinderella who was absolutely beautiful and a brilliant Cinders, and then we waited….and waited….aaaaaanddd waited. Until we were the last group in the waiting area. 45 minutes later, we were taken up to the dining hall. (We were given 2 x fast passes as an apology. I can think of worse places to sit to be perfectly honest)! The theme of the whole place is absolutely top notch. (we have a thing about good theming <<<is that a real word?o_O) It was a lot quieter than we thought it would be, that might be because it was around 8pm or just because of the actual space of the restaurant absorbed the noise. We were sat on a top section table just to the left of the main windows. And this is where the fun stops. :grumpy:
View attachment 209194 But first have a little picture
Our server…I don’t think I’m going to name names on this one. She was awful. There are 10 of us and she basically whispered the whole time. I was pretty much next to her and could barely hear. There was no welcome or...whats the word ...PAZAZZ (is that a really British word?) anyway. She had zero personality. I feel like if I worked in Cinderellas castle I'd be sooooo excited! So, we ordered drinks and she wandered off. Someone else brought us girls our wands and then 10 minutes later our menus.
View attachment 209199
Our drinks were brought over and then our straws were thrown, yep thrown on the table. We then ordered our food. I ordered the Castle Salad to start which was just meh. Sis had the same and mum had the Charcuterie board which she didn’t actually like but that was because she didn’t like the meats. I on the other hand did. Everyone else seemed to eat theirs with little comment. I had the Beef and Shrimp (Steak number 1 of the holiday), mum had Pork Tenderloin and sis the same as me. Mum didn’t touch her pork as it was raw and it put her off. I on the other hand really liked the steak but it was freezing cold. Additionally, there was no new cutlery brought to the table, so we waited until our server came back to ask for some more. Everyone was in agreement that it was cold. Hannahs salad did look delicious however and there looked like there was a lot of steak. There wasn’t any wait between started and main, they even took Hannah's plate from underneath her while she was eating o_Oo_Oo_O. Oh, and at this point our server decided it would be the right moment to ask to scan each rooms magic bands for the dining plan. What the?! Please can I eat my dinner?! :cautious::cautious:

The rest of the starter plates were still on our table to the point where we started to pile them up ourselves and moved them. The princesses then came up to take pictures with us as we were half way through our main. Was nice to get some pictures with them though- I did skip some pictures because I was conscious my dinner might either get taken away or go colder.

By this point we were all a bit flat as it was just not what we were expecting it to be like. It was also Davids 30th Birthday which was obviously a special occasion. But all was not lost. Wishes started. That is an experience that I won’t forget. I went down to the windows (making sure I wasn’t imposing on someone’s’ dinner) and stood and watched them from a completely different vantage point.
View attachment 209204 Not great ones of the fireworks but sis got some. I feel like my end post will be a gathering of all the photos I dont have to hand while writing this!!! So if anything...just stay tuned until then!!
View attachment 209205

When this finished, dessert had already been left on the table about 10 minutes before. I had the Jaq & Gus which was the best dish of the night. Sis had the Clock Strikes Twelve and said it was lovely and chocolatey. Niambh had a “make your own cupcake” dessert which she seemed to love as the plate was empty!!

It was around 9:30pm before we left but not before myself and Kay had a quiet and polite word with the manager about our experience. Now I am 100% not “one of those people” and I always see the good in Disney which is why we felt so let down by the whole dinner. As a 2 credit Signature restaurant, you expect a lot better service than we had. In my opinion, they rely on the fact that you’re there to see the Princesses and to be able to say you have had dinner at Cinderellas Castle rather than expecting good service and food.

I completely understand that others may have had a GREAT experience with this restaurant but I would go as far as saying I wouldn’t go there again.

Disclaimer incase people are rolling their eyes whilst reading this: I promise I’m not a whiney whinger and as much as it seems that I’m complaining AAAALLL THE TIME.. I love Disney and I just want to be as honest as I can be on my report I know a lot of reports I read before we went, helped me with the honest opinions of experiences at restaurants.
View attachment 209207
SO…. I think after we left (with one dining credit refunded back to each of us), we headed to a relaxing boat ride. Yes that’s right.. we rode IASW twice within 3 days :facepalm:!! The park was closing at 11pm tonight so we headed to our last boat ride of the day, POTC with no queue. WOO. It seems the water cannons were a little more powerful than usual and we all got absolutely drenched :joyfull: !! Nothing like Captain Jack Sparrow to lighten the mood :inlove:

We headed out of the MK about 10:30pm and back to the hotel to get ourselves ready for a full day at Animal Kingdom. Me mum and sis had an early morning safari booked which we were super excited for!!!!!

Next up… Safari Jane and Yeti Madness!!
I think it's better to be honest, even if it's negative...not everything in WDW is perfect and if people go in expecting it to be, they will be disappointed. When you spend so much money, especially having come from another country, you expect at least decent food and service. I appreciate the honesty. I never finished my TR last year, but I was told that it sounded like I hated everything...Not at all, we had a GREAT time, but I'm not going to make it sound like everything was perfect when it isn't. Glad they refunded the credits for you!
(I don't think you sounded whiny at all, just honest.)

Songbird76

Day 4 Cont. (this may be quite a short post as I can't REALLY remember too much!! :in pain: sorrrrryyy)

We decided the easiest way to get to Wilderness Lodge would be to get the bus to MK and take a leisurely boat trip from there. I absolutely loved taking the boat places so on ALL future trips, I'm going to plan at least one place where we can take the boat.

Our dining reservation wasn't until 7:50pm and again we had two tables separately as there was no tables for 8. Hannah and David headed to Disney Springs for their evening.

Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous inside. There is so much to look at in the Lobby area and we were instantly drawn to the rocking chairs by the fire! :joyfull: We went to check in at Whispering Canyon and then had a wander around the shop and took some pictures. There wasn't a long wait before our buzzer went off and we were being seated. Now I would love to tell you the name of our server because she was absolutely awesome. Although we love to join in with anything that's going on at these types of restaurants, but we just did not realise the absolutely carnage and hilarity that would unravel throughout our meal tonight :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: To name a few:
  • Horse riding round the restaurant
  • Joining in with "verbally bashing" the couple on the table next to us who were drunk and laughing constantly with our shared server
  • Asking for Ketchup (obviously)
  • Being "verbally abused" for not ordering anymore from the "all you care to eat" platter
  • Shouting between our two tables to try and win the "best table" competition
  • Picking up the billion straws that our server threw at the table on her way past. (see I expect that at this restaurant..its just a shame we had the same straw fiasco at CRT :rolleyes:)
I'm sorry I have pretty much zero photos from this night. (there was no room to have my camera out due to the 24 tomato ketchup's on our table).
The food was beautiful though. Me and sister got the "all you care to enjoy skillet" between us and we didn't manage to order anything else because well.....steak/meat :confused:. (oh my gosh those BBQ beans are the best thing ever invented:hungry:) We aren't used to eating so much, especially when you HAVE to (I know you don't but since its offered) get a dessert every time you eat, I don't know about everyone else but if I've had a big meal one day, I tend to eat light the next. There is NO eating light on this holiday. :joyfull::hungry: Mum had the New York Strip and was very happy with it.

Like I said, our server was just brilliant. In-fact they all were and I loved how they would just shout between each other about random stuff. I think we were perhaps there a little too late for the full "antics" as the restaurant was winding down and there were barely any tables left but it still really great fun. Our server came and sat with us for around 20 mins after she brought dessert (which was aaaaammmaaaazzzinnnggg. I had the Coconut rice pudding, sis had Bread pudding I think and mum the Cheesecake all of which were delicious). She was telling us all about how she had worked in WC for 8 years and would never want to move to somewhere else. She had been and worked at Skipper Canteen when it first opened and really didn't like the atmosphere so moved back to WC. We were telling her all the places to visit when she came to England etc etc and before we knew it we were the last people in the joint :jawdrop:. After a brilliant and fun evening she sent us on our way with 2 fresh, warm loaves of Corn Bread :inlove::inlove::inlove:. I really wish I could remember her name. :( All in all, I would definitely go back here again.

As you can't go from resort to resort and it was quite late, we thought bus to Disney Springs to pick up the other two and then the boat to POR would be the easiest option to transfer our full bellies home. It came in a little chilly as we were on the boat but my warm loaves of bread kept me toasty warm ;) These may have been dished out when we got back to the resort. Must have had a little bit of room left in those tums. :p OINK.

Again, apologies for the lack of photos in this post.:facepalm:

Next up...EPCOT and time to visit Arendelle...
Whispering Canyon was our favorite ADR last summer. SOOOOO much fun!! We also had a fantastic server. DH got a fast pass to the bathroom because he drank the MASSIVE coke (and asking for a refill) they brought him after finishing the regular sized one at record speed. The antics there are so much fun. 50s Prime Time was great too, but I wish I hadn't asked them to go light for DS as he gets overwhelmed easily, because they went light for the whole table and I think we would have enjoyed the full service ribbing. I have to say, Disney Dining has some AMAZING options that I have never seen anywhere else. All these wonderful TRs make me want to go back so much!!!

Songbird76

Christmas at DP sounds great! I might go one day but again the cost of DP puts me of going. My last trip to WDW was December 2015 and I loved all the decorations etc.
I enjoyed going to Disney HK because it was easy to combine with some cultural things plus the park was beautiful and imho the shows were better than in WDW. Plus the 2 day ticket was so cheap, I couldn't believe it.
I hope to visit Tokyo and Shanghai in the next few years so I can be one of those terribly annoying people that can compare all the parks.;)
Have you checked fares for DLP this year? We got a really great deal because of the 25th anniversary, but that may have just been a deal in the Netherlands. I've never been to DLP, but with the 25th anniversary deal, we decided to go in the fall break from school. My dad passed away in March and we are soooo in need of a break and couldn't afford a WDW vacation again with flights and all that, so we're making do with DLP until we can get back to WDW in a few years. They've been running all sorts of promotions this year for the 25th anniversary...if you speak any German, you can probably book from the German site if the UK site doesn't offer any deals. But we got something like...30% off of our stay, plus that half board dining plan (free QS breakfast and 1 TS meal per night) in a moderate. We're staying at Sequoia which looks a lot like WDW Wilderness Lodge. I think actually, officially, it was stay 2 nights get the 3rd night free, plus the dining. But I also saw a 20% discount plus dining later on. Anyway it sounds like maybe this is the year to visit, because they've also just refurbished practically everything. Worth looking into.

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Have you checked fares for DLP this year? We got a really great deal because of the 25th anniversary, but that may have just been a deal in the Netherlands. I've never been to DLP, but with the 25th anniversary deal, we decided to go in the fall break from school. My dad passed away in March and we are soooo in need of a break and couldn't afford a WDW vacation again with flights and all that, so we're making do with DLP until we can get back to WDW in a few years. They've been running all sorts of promotions this year for the 25th anniversary...if you speak any German, you can probably book from the German site if the UK site doesn't offer any deals. But we got something like...30% off of our stay, plus that half board dining plan (free QS breakfast and 1 TS meal per night) in a moderate. We're staying at Sequoia which looks a lot like WDW Wilderness Lodge. I think actually, officially, it was stay 2 nights get the 3rd night free, plus the dining. But I also saw a 20% discount plus dining later on. Anyway it sounds like maybe this is the year to visit, because they've also just refurbished practically everything. Worth looking into.
Really sorry to hear about your dad. Disney is the best place to get away to though so hopefully you can take that well needed time and enjoy yourselves!
Ohh those deals sound brilliant! I've had a look and so far it's 30% off rooms and 2 nights & 3rd night free but no dining plan. We also stayed at Sequioa lodge last time and really loved it so we're definitely looking at there again!
I'm glad we have a Disney relatively close by to top up the magic until our next wdw fix!! Thanks for following along :)

Songbird76

Really sorry to hear about your dad. Disney is the best place to get away to though so hopefully you can take that well needed time and enjoy yourselves!
Ohh those deals sound brilliant! I've had a look and so far it's 30% off rooms and 2 nights & 3rd night free but no dining plan. We also stayed at Sequioa lodge last time and really loved it so we're definitely looking at there again!
I'm glad we have a Disney relatively close by to top up the magic until our next wdw fix!! Thanks for following along :)
Just out of curiosity, when you go to DLP, do you fly or take the train in? Or can you drive? Is there a ferry that goes across the channel? I think we're like a 6 hour drive from Paris, but we've not been to DLP before, so I'm not positive.
And thanks...I told DH I was going to need a vacation after dealing with all the estate stuff and just something to distract me. I think Disney will do nicely!

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Just out of curiosity, when you go to DLP, do you fly or take the train in? Or can you drive? Is there a ferry that goes across the channel? I think we're like a 6 hour drive from Paris, but we've not been to DLP before, so I'm not positive.
And thanks...I told DH I was going to need a vacation after dealing with all the estate stuff and just something to distract me. I think Disney will do nicely!

We did the Eurostar last time and it was so easy! Would definitely use it again!! Although we are pricing it up now and plane is looking to be slightly less but I've not heard many peoples experiences of flying to DLP. Would be interesting to know how easy transfers are etc!

susan lees

We did the Eurostar last time and it was so easy! Would definitely use it again!! Although we are pricing it up now and plane is looking to be slightly less but I've not heard many peoples experiences of flying to DLP. Would be interesting to know how easy transfers are etc!
We're just back and flew from Glasgow. Flights were great. We decided to use train from CDG to marne la vallee.
We arrived on one of the hottest days of the year and trains have no air con so that was the worse part.
Journey took about an hour and then a short walk to our hotel. We've done this before and would again. Hope this helps :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom