The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

TheOriginalTiki

Some general Finding Dory thoughts...

-Definitely NOT as great as the original movie. Don't go in expecting it to be. For my money it's about on the same level as Toy Story 2 coming from someone who thinks Toy Story 2 is by far the weakest of that trilogy.

It doesn't break any new ground and it doesn't overshadow the original (like Toy Story 3 would, IMO) but it is a solid follow-up with a story that doesn't feel recycled. The best strength of both films is the great new characters they introduce to the franchise.

For some reason the animation doesn't feel like as much of an upgrade as say the jump between the second and third Toy Story movies. That might have to do with the fact that the fish are out of the ocean most of the time so the photo-realistic quality of the original is somewhat sacrificed. It might also be because the short before the film was MIND-BLOWING-LY photo-realistic to the point where it made the actual film look more "cartoon"-ish.

Not getting into specifics, but the scene with Crush was probably my least favorite of the film. Not only did it feel like a repeat of the original with Crush shoe-horned into the film as fan-service, it also kind of defeats the original's epic scope of traveling across the ocean. The swim from Australia to California is a total afterthought and hurts the plot and scale of the film a bit.

A very solid sequel that's DEFINITELY in a league above the likes of Cars 2 and Monsters University. It's not an Up or Inside Out level tear-jerker and it's not going to be as memorable as the first movie, but thanks to a fresh story and really compelling new characters this will still stand on its own and generally be regarded with fondness.

/lecture

disneydf

Some general Finding Dory thoughts...

-Definitely NOT as great as the original movie. Don't go in expecting it to be. For my money it's about on the same level as Toy Story 2 coming from someone who thinks Toy Story 2 is by far the weakest of that trilogy.

It doesn't break any new ground and it doesn't overshadow the original (like Toy Story 3 would, IMO) but it is a solid follow-up with a story that doesn't feel recycled. The best strength of both films is the great new characters they introduce to the franchise.

For some reason the animation doesn't feel like as much of an upgrade as say the jump between the second and third Toy Story movies. That might have to do with the fact that the fish are out of the ocean most of the time so the photo-realistic quality of the original is somewhat sacrificed. It might also be because the short before the film was MIND-BLOWING-LY photo-realistic to the point where it made the actual film look more "cartoon"-ish.

Not getting into specifics, but the scene with Crush was probably my least favorite of the film. Not only did it feel like a repeat of the original with Crush shoe-horned into the film as fan-service, it also kind of defeats the original's epic scope of traveling across the ocean. The swim from Australia to California is a total afterthought and hurts the plot and scale of the film a bit.

A very solid sequel that's DEFINITELY in a league above the likes of Cars 2 and Monsters University. It's not an Up or Inside Out level tear-jerker and it's not going to be as memorable as the first movie, but thanks to a fresh story and really compelling new characters this will still stand on its own and generally be regarded with fondness.

/lecture
I can definitely agree with this, I had more stronger feelings forwards the movie, but I definitely know where you're coming from. And I agree with what you said about the scene with crush though, that couldve been done better. Overall I think it was a good movie

TheOriginalTiki

I can definitely agree with this, I had more stronger feelings forwards the movie, but I definitely know where you're coming from. And I agree with what you said about the scene with crush though, that couldve been done better. Overall I think it was a good movie

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film A LOT more than I thought I would overall. Once they get to California and
Sigourney Weaver shows up :p ;)
I think the film really starts to come into its own. It's really just the first act that feels a bit slapped together. And even then were treated to a classic tug-at-your-heart-strings cold open (though not nearly as devastating as the barracuda attack in the first film, it definitely gives you the *feels* right off the bat ;) )

I think as far as Pixar sequels go this is easily the best non-Toy Story one they've done and I'd say comes pretty close to standing toe to toe with Toy Story 2 which is really a lot higher than I thought it'd end up. My big concern was that this would feel like a Monsters University style fun but forgettable sequel but there was definitely enough emotional subtext to the film to have it be a far more enriching experience.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I hope it's roped of instead of a chain fence. Alligators are known to climb fences though not well. It would be a pr nightmare if a gator climbed into a guest area and couldn't escape. Afraid animals ends up hurting ppl more times than not
At my grandpartents old beach house in boca the community pool had a fence around it...we went one day and a gator was swimming in the pool.

Backed away quietly and called the animal control. Fence isn't going to do much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom