Trip Report The GRAND Birthday! *COMPLETED*

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:
That's the interesting thing -- something new, fun, or outright bizarre happens on all your trips, and that's what keeps us coming back for more. It's kinda like a written version (with photos), of a Tuvalu WDW reality show. :p Looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

maxntina

I have one final picture to share. After we’d sat down on the Tragical, I told Mom to make a pouty face to show how sad we were to be leaving.

But Mom said no. “We need to have happy faces to show what a wonderful time we had!”

View attachment 358635

She was right ~ it WAS a fantastic trip!

Thank you for taking the time to write all this up and letting me live vicariously! Our last time was 7 years ago, and we're not going until 2021. So, actually, I guess we're a little like JB in that way. ;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I agree with everyone else. I have really enjoyed this trip report. I love all of your reports, but this one was particularly happy to read. I'm looking forward to the next one and hope it comes soon. Maybe a Spring Break trip with Em???
You’re right...this was a happy report! I didn’t fully realize it until after I had completed it.
Spring break is just around the corner.....

Loved reading your report too. Wonderful that you could enjoy it with your mom! Hope @TrolleyFollower91 and @Woodywrkr weren't too put put at being left behind?
I know Em really wanted to be there! Woody was content to let us have girls time.

Absolutely loved this TR!!
What a GRAND birthday it was for your Mom!
You are too kind! :happy:

Oh what a wonderful trip!!! Wonderful TR as usual! Loved every minute. I will be on the look out for you soon!😉😎
You’ll see me before I see you! :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Always so much fun traveling with you and your family! Looks like a great time was had by all, so fun that you got to go with your mom and JB! Hope you came home to happy kitties! :)
A great time was had by all! And the 🐱 🐱 were happy to see me....but only because I’ll treat them to an occasional spoonful of tuna. Woody won’t go near tuna!

Great report! It must be so much fun to share your love of Disney with your mother!

Can't wait until the next one!
I’m fortunate Mom loves Disney parks as much as I do.

As always a great report! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing your trip. Your reports are wonderful to read.
Your mom sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
Great report thanks for sharing!
Many thanks @Matt and Kelly @menka @aliceismad @WDisneyW for reading!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
So glad that you and Mom had a wonderful time! After Dad and I spent our first day in MK and I made him walk 8+ miles, he was basically wheelchair bound for the rest of the week. He had a pinched nerve in his neck / shoulder and was in lots of pain any time he was on his feet. When the brother and his wife arrived the next day, I had to explain how I "broke" Dad. whooops.

He had lots of fun (and so did we), so it was a good trip after all. PLUS I only ran into the brother once with the wheelchair. He was NOT happy.

Thanks for taking us along! :geek:
I can honestly say that while I didn’t “break” Mom, she almost “broke” me! :joyfull:
Sorry to hear your dad was in a lot of pain during your vacation.
When’s your next jaunt? September?

Great trip again, love reading about your adventures
Great TR! Thanks for sharing!
I appreciate both of you “regulars.” 😀

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for another great TR :)
You are most welcome. I hope you have a fantastic time with your family on your next visit to the World....won’t be long now!

Thank you for taking the time to write all this up and letting me live vicariously! Our last time was 7 years ago, and we're not going until 2021. So, actually, I guess we're a little like JB in that way. ;)
I hearby make you an honorary member of the JB Ten Year Club! 🏰(Although I am seriously impressed with your patience...not sure I could wait two more years to return, especially after a 7 year absence.)

Great trip report @Tuvalu ! It was fun seeing the adventures with your mom and cousin. Hopefully your next trip is coming up soon!
Thanks, Amy. I’ll be back to WDW before you’ll be back at DL. :geek:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You are most welcome. I hope you have a fantastic time with your family on your next visit to the World....won’t be long now!

I hearby make you an honorary member of the JB Ten Year Club! 🏰(Although I am seriously impressed with your patience...not sure I could wait two more years to return, especially after a 7 year absence.)

Thanks, Amy. I’ll be back to WDW before you’ll be back at DL. :geek:

I just got back from DL and will be back in 20 days! :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@CinderellaBelle, @93boomer, @WDisneyW, @StarBurst, @susan lees, @Rista1313, @Tiggertoo56, @LittleTuna12, @ajrwdwgirl

Heading home in the morning!

Rista1313

@CinderellaBelle, @93boomer, @WDisneyW, @StarBurst, @susan lees, @Rista1313, @Tiggertoo56, @LittleTuna12, @ajrwdwgirl

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I read they have orange bird slushy drinks back in stock!

93boomer

Premium Member

Hope you have a wonderful time!!! I will be watching out for you next weekend!

slipperalwaysfits

Just caught up with the last few pages! We moved into a house in the middle of reading the trip report and then I ended up going back home to Seattle for a week with MY mom. It was a really special trip to be able to hang out with her. You @Tuvalu and I are both lucky our moms are still mobile and we can have grand adventures with them!

Wonderful that JB was there to celebrate and got to enjoy an incredible view of HEA at CG! I'm glad the risotto's back, but too bad dinner wasn't as delish as it has been for you. The drink you recommend looks interesting, even if you didn't get exactly the same thing this time!

What happened at the airport was tragic, and painful for all the kids that saw that, especially. Interesting about DME not being able to change pick--up times. I'd never thought about that before.

We have fallen asleep in American Adventure before, too! There's just so much to do at Disney that it's easy to get tired and need a quick nap! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom