The gates of WDW

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Riiiight... Actually, I don't think people was chosen because it in some way symbolizes royalty. I think it was chosen because those purples and pinks were popular in the 90s.
Wait... are we talking about the purple directional road signs or the purple on the MK welcome sign? o_O

Tim_4

A quick Google search introduced the theory that birds don't like the color purple so they won't "use the bathroom" on the signs, reducing maintenance and improving show.

*I miss the old *shrug* smiley.*

menamechris

That's actually VERY on purpose. Signage was originally supposed to be rustic/brown/green so it didn't stand out but they decided people would get lost and miss signs so they made them as *loud* as possible while still making it clear that you're in a *different* place.

Yeah, we all agree on that point. It doesn't mean 90's flashback purple is the only "loud" color. Just sayin...

With that said - Do I really truly give a crap? No. Would I think it would look nicer if they were upgraded to a nicer, but equally *loud* color? Absolutely. Does TDO care? Only when they are peeling off...and even then you gotta give them a good month to fix them..

Tim_4

Yeah, we all agree on that point. It doesn't mean 90's flashback purple is the only "loud" color. Just sayin...

With that said - Do I really truly give a crap? No. Would I think it would look nicer if they were upgraded to a nicer, but equally *loud* color? Absolutely. Does TDO care? Only when they are peeling off...and even then you gotta give them a good month to fix them..
It would take much longer than a month. :)

Signage for Art of Animation still kind of sucks and it's been open for awhile now.

menamechris

It would take much longer than a month. :)

Signage for Art of Animation still kind of sucks and it's been open for awhile now.

Yeah - a month for them to notice. ;) It was just ridic the other year when signs were peeling everywhere. It took forever to get them fixed.

HouCuseChickie

Like anything- this is all a matter of personal preferences. I'm sure plenty of people feel the gates are antiquated and in need of a makeover, while many others look at them fondly for the nostalgic aspect- i.e. the same gates that have been welcoming them over the years. I will say this...I'd rather see $ devoted to new and/or improved attractions over rethinking the gates.

Walt Disney1955

Patience my friends. Disney knows what they are doing. This is how they build suspense. We live in a world of reality TV, texting and CGI effects dominating our movies. People forget what it was like to build suspense and have a bit of mystique. First of all, I think the gates look fine. They do the job. You are entering a world of fun and magic. How do I know that especially a first timer gets goosebumps from it?

Well, flash back to 2009. My wife's first visit to WDW. We got off the plane, rented our car and drove to an offsite resort two miles away from Disney. I took a wrong turn............guess which turn? The road that enters Disney. All of the sudden we look up and my wife is excited to see the arch of "Walt Disney World". It was 8pm and she knew we weren't going to a park right then, but it was still exciting.

So yeah, I think they do the job.

DisneyWall-E

After watching the video I have come to 2 conclusions. 1, the current sigh is leaps and bounds better than the old one and 2, I really miss the Disney radio station we used to pick up when we got close to WDW. Why they got rid of it I dont understand.

And, as always awesome video brought to us by Martin.

crosswagon

It is a matter of personal preference and after you get a certain age;)" I" definitely like the nostalgic aspect. You gotta love those memories! Also, no matter what color or year the gates are from Disney is about the kids or being a kid and I don't think anyone will forget the very first time they drove under the arch or made their approach to the gates of Magic Kingom. Most of us have made so many trips that it would be hard for Disney to surprise us everytime but the first timers will still get that magical moment when they drive under the welcome arch and realize they have arrived at the happiest place on earth!:D

jlevis

Beyond thinking, "we're here" as I pass under the signs I haven't given the signs much thought. After reading this thread when we pass under the signs in August when we're there I'll think, "we're here" and not give them another thought.

dreamfinder

Martin's video about WDW Transportation includes a look at the original MK toll plaza (and before that, a look at the pre-purple road signs)

Fast-forward to the 4:45 mark for the toll plaza (or just watch the whole thing) :)

-Rob

Was that a special rental for foreign guests? Can't say I have ever seen a rental that has a big red sticker that says "Remember, drive on the right hand side of the road"

I forgot about the Mickey head/hands that peaked over the signs. Oh memories..

Florida_is_hot

Think Walt Disney World defines the "gates" as the transition from the world we live in to the stage where Walt Disney World put on the show. From the real world side, you only get a few tastes of the entertainment that waits you but a good gate does not give away the show.

Magic Kingdom the gate is the Main Street Train station, as you pass under the gate and approach the Stage the music cues, you get your first glimpse of Main Street.

Epcot ?? the tombstones ??

Hollywood Studio also does not have much of a gate ??

Animal Kingdom, you walk through the woods "for a few minutes at least" before you are on Stage.

The road signs are nice, they show you I am here but they are not gates.
The toll booths you are getting closer "get to pay $15 to park".

I say yes road signs do not or should not put on a show, they should be posters at best.

Communicore

I'd rather have the signs in the Martin video than the current MK one. Also the Animal Kingdom is Copperplate. That is un-Disney and screams corporate, so it needs to go. The best gate was the one that said EPCOT Center, of course.

rufio

Original Poster
Epcot ?? the tombstones ?

l.jpg

Jimmy Thick

I made my first trip to the World in 2009 as an adult. One of the first things I noticed was that the gates were not that impressive.

disney-main-gate.jpg

disney_welcome-thumb.jpg

Especially after seeing everything WDW truly is, I guess I just expected more. Does anyone else feel that WDW could do better with the gates! I mean, they are the first things you see when you arrive.

Hmmm, I dunno...

Maybe because those gates are ingrained into my psyche, once I see them, I know its time to relax.

Jimmy Thick- I think I like them as is...

acishere

The welcome sign is decorate enough to give you a sense of where you are, but not flashy enough to make me want to pull over and get a photo.

Enough people pull over to get a photo as it is. If they add anything more it will only result in more people getting out on the side of the road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom