The Frog Princess news

JungleSkip

Original Poster
All of you who listened to the shareholder's meeting probably already know.
There was an update on The Frog Princess, the first hand drawn feature animation film to come out since Lilo. It will take place in New Orleans, Randy Newman is doing the music, it will be a musical and will feature the first ever African American Princess.

Legacy

All of you who listened to the shareholder's meeting probably already know.
There was an update on The Frog Princess, the first hand drawn feature animation film to come out since Lilo. It will take place in New Orleans, Randy Newman is doing the music, it will be a musical and will feature the first ever African American Princess.

FYI, Home on the Range was the last traditionally-made animated feature. And you also have Brother Bear coming out after Lilo and Stitch.

I'm interested in a New Orleans tale... though it has the potential to be pretty dark...

Jerm

I should have clarified...the first hand drawn film that anyone has cared about since Lilo.

You really should not go there!!! I loved Home on the Range and Brother Bear, they were both very touching and beautiful. Treasure Planet was amazing film that has so many strong points but it was not a "Disney" film to a lot of people.

Plus I know a lot of people who hated Lilo and Stitch.

J

CJR

There were plenty of people who cared about Brother Bear and Home on the Range. Disney even made a sequel to Brother Bear so it had to be moderately successful. If it did good enough to get a sequel, that says someone cared about it. Also, American Dog, which comes out next year I believe, will be hand drawn and a Disney film.

Jekyll_Baker

I should have clarified...the first hand drawn film that anyone has cared about since Lilo.

I like Lilo & Stitch, but Brother Bear is a lot better. Treasure Planet and Home on the Range are also very good (though I always thought the voice selections for Home on the Range -all of them, not just Roseanne- were off).

JungleSkip

Original Poster
American Dog was far enough into production as a CGI feature that it will be finished that way. I think I was using the presence of Lilo and Stitch in the Theme Parks as a benchmark of success. I don't think its fair to use direct to video sequals to demonstrate the popularity of a franchise. We could put out Hunchback IV "Frollo in Space" and make a mint because those things cost next to nothing to make.

Peaches Magee

got this from wikipedia...

The Frog Princess is an animated film currently in development by Walt Disney Feature Animation. It will be the first traditionally animated (2-D) feature film in Disney's animated features canon since 2004's Home on the Range. It will be directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, with music composed by Randy Newman.
Sources have revealed that the film will be an American fairy tale musical set in New Orleans during the 1920s Jazz Age, and the leading character, Maddy, will be the first black Disney princess. [1]
Although the film's entry in IMDb states its release year being 2008, it is highly unlikely as it hasn't been officially greenlit yet. Furthermore, Disney has been working on other animated films for some time, including Rapunzel which is slated for release in 2009.

Disney had once announced that Home on the Range would be the studio's last 2-D entry to their animated features canon, but after the company's acquisition of Pixar in early 2006, it was reported that Ed Catmull and John Lasseter, new leaders of the animation department, were interested in going back to 2-D. [2] The news about The Frog Princess was broken by Rhett Wickham in a column for LaughingPlace.com, revealing that the film was in development, and that Ron Clements and John Musker, directors of successful 2D Disney films Aladdin and The Little Mermaid, would be writing and directing. [3] About a month later, at the Comic-Con, Disney animator Eric Goldberg confirmed the news and also mentioned that Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken would be in charge of the music. [4] [5]
The film promises to return to the Broadway-style musical in the likes of the successful Disney animated films such as Walt's classics, and Disney's musical rennisance of the late '80s and all of the '90s. [6] Wickham also reported that John Lasseter had personally asked Ron Clements and John Musker to direct and write the film, and had let them choose what form of animation (hand-drawn or CGI) they wanted the film to be in. As of June 2006, no artistic staff had been hired for visual development or storyboarding yet, but the script was expected to be finished by Autumn 2006. New and updated software will be used in the digital processing of the film, as the old CAPS system from Disney is now outdated. [7]
On November 13, 2006, it was revealed that Randy Newman, who was responsible for the music of many Pixar films, would be in charge of the music in the film instead of Alan Menken and his new lyricist Glenn Slater, due to John Lasseter not wanting the public to feel Disney being repetitive, as Menken is also working on another Disney fairy tale film, Enchanted. This reportedly upset a lot of Walt Disney Feature Animation employees. [8]
On December 1, 2006, a detailed casting call was announced for the film at the Manhattan Theatre Source forum. [1] The casting call states the film as being an American fairy tale musical set in New Orleans during the 1920s Jazz Age, and provides a detailed list of the film's major characters, including the leading character, Maddy, who will be the first African American Disney princess. It was reported that Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson, and Anika Noni Rose are all being considered for the title role.

A list of the film's major characters, as revealed in its casting call:
  • Maddy - A 19-year-old chambermaid.
  • Charlotte La Bouff - A 18-year-old spoiled, southern Debutante and Diva.
  • Dr. Duvalier - An African American Voodoo magician/fortune teller. The villain of the movie.
  • Mama Odie - An elderly, 200-year-old Voodoo priestess/fairy god-mother.
  • Ray - A lovesick Cajun firefly.
  • Louis - A Jazz singer alligator.
  • Prince Harry - A gregarious, fun-loving European Prince, in his early twenties.
  • Lawrence - Prince Harry's pompous valet.
  • Big Daddy La Bouff - Wealthy, Southern plantation landowner and father of Charlotte La Bouff.
  • Eudora - Maddy's mother. In her fifties. Used to be Charlotte's nurse maid.
  • George - The La Bouff family's cook.
  • Arila - Maddy's sister.

Figments Friend

Eh....i'm not getting my hopes up.

So far i have not seen anything to catch my interest that much. I think it's nice that they are bringing back some traditional animation, but story-wise and character wise seems not-so-interesting.

Of course, i will not blow it off entirely until i see/hear more about it. I HOPE it's good....!

Mufasa's Pride

Big Daddy La Bouff - Wealthy, Southern plantation landowner and father of Charlotte La Bouff.

Wonder how they will make this character a plantation owner and not show any slaves? The main character even sounds like she is a slave. Just wondering what is the difference between this and the mild slavery elements of Song of the South.

SrcrersApprntce

Latest from MSNBC

Disney first: black princess in animated film ‘The Frog Princess’ will be set in New Orleans, scored by Randy Newman
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 10:02 a.m. ET March 9, 2007

<script language="javascript"> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633090493309370000');</script>
NEW ORLEANS - The Walt Disney Co. has started production on an animated musical fairy tale called “The Frog Princess,” which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio’s first black princess.
The film, set for release in 2009, also is the first hand-drawn film Disney has committed to since pledging last month to return to the traditional animation that made it a worldwide brand.
“The Frog Princess,” a musical scored by composer Randy Newman, is “an American fairy tale” starring a girl named Maddy who lives in the French Quarter in New Orleans, said John Lasseter, chief creative director for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios.
Disney did not provide details of the plot, but the company showed shareholders preliminary drawings from the movie. Newman and a jazz band played a song from the movie’s score.
Maddy joins eight other Disney princess characters, who have generated $3 billion in global retail sales since 1999. Disney Princesses is the fastest-growing brand for the company’s Consumer Products division.
Disney introduced its first non-white animated heroine in 1992's “Aladdin”: a Middle Eastern character named Jasmine. Three years later an American Indian princess appeared in “Pocahontas.”
The creation of the Chinese heroine from “Mulan” came in 1998. Other Disney princesses are the main characters from “Cinderella,” “Sleeping Beauty,” “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Little Mermaid.”
Disney aggregated the eight characters in 1999 under the banner Disney Princesses and has rolled out toys, books, clothing, furniture and other merchandise aimed at girls ages 3 to 8.
Disney chief executive Robert Iger said the company wanted to show its support for New Orleans, only partially rebuilt 18 months after it was flooded by Hurricane Katrina, by holding its annual meeting and setting its newest animated film in the city.
“The film’s New Orleans setting and strong princess character give the film lots of excitement and texture,” Walt Disney Studios chairman ________ Cook said.
John Musker and Ron Clements, who co-directed “The Little Mermaid,” “Aladdin” and “Hercules” will co-direct the movie. The pair also wrote the story for the film.

Glad to see hand drawn animation coming back--it's not the technology that counts but the best way to tell the story.

Glad to see hand drawn animation coming back--it's not the technology that counts but the best way to tell the story.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

So true...it's funny, because a couple months ago this sentiment is all you heard, now that Disney has restarted to 2D department it's all about how 2D is coming back and how it'll be great. I'm as excited as everyone else that Disney has restarted 2D, but in all honesty, the medium in which the film is made doesn't make a difference - just the story. If this wasn't true, then Pixar, PDI/Dreamworks and other 3D companies would of gone belly-up years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom