The Essence of Disney Magic -- What Is It?

niteobsrvr

I agree with everything thats been posted so far but lets not forget a few real important things that aren't magic per se but without them Disney wouldn't be the place that it is.

Honesty

Integrity

Character

Respect

The amazing thing about Walt Disney was more than just his ability to look at the bright new future and predict what would be there, but also know what wouldn't be there.

The words I list above unfortunately seem to have all but been erased from our busy society. Somehow, Walt must have known this would happen. So he proceeded to build a place where these values hopefully will live on forever and called it Disneyland.

But even the best forsight in the world didnt predict the mess that would build up around the park so along comes the Florida Project. A chunk of Earth totally disconnected from the rest of the planet at least mentally. A place where Fantasy becomes Reality and Reality is Fantastic. A place where 4 core values of a great society are carried out on a daily basis.

You see without honesty, integrity, respect and character, it doesnt make a difference what rides are built or shows put on. People would always be watching their backs wondering if there is any value in visitying Disney, wondering if the cast member would really fix their problem, worrying that their stuff in their room is really safe. This list can go on and on. But how many of us actually worry about those things at Disney? Not many I would imagine.

Anyone can build a theme park, desgin a show, or cook a meal but no one can deliver all of them like Disney. Its the core values that sets Disney apart and forms the basis for the Magic becasue there are few if any other places where businesses and individuals even think about such things anymore.

mickey04

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Definitely the total immersion.

It begins with your wake-up call from Mickey ("up and at 'em!" -- although I hear that it is Stitch now).

Are you kidding? I hope not. I loved Lilo and Stitch, but I want Mickey to wake me up-- its tradition. Can anyone confirm that?

Anyway, for me, the Disney magic comes from its devotion to making people happy- to bringing them into a world that they have only before dreamed of. I also think its history- Walt and his incedible visions all coming full circle here.

We see and hear about it all the time- and to actually be there is just beyond belief.

And of course, Mickey. I love the Mouse. Even today. the first time I see him my eyes light up and I'm filled with that magic. I really hope he still does the wake up call (I love it so much, I downloaded it on my computer)

dreamer

Original Poster
Originally posted by niteobsrvr
I agree with everything thats been posted so far but lets not forget a few real important things that aren't magic per se but without them Disney wouldn't be the place that it is.

Honesty

Integrity

Character

Respect

Are these an official, stated part of Disney's goals and objectives? Do they have them written in a handbook or manual somewhere, or are they just your observations?

It seems they are part of the Disney magic -- and probably will be the most difficult part to sustain as society degenerates. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is somehow sued (or has already been) for trying to maintain these things.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by dreamer
Are these an official, stated part of Disney's goals and objectives? Do they have them written in a handbook or manual somewhere, or are they just your observations?

It seems they are part of the Disney magic -- and probably will be the most difficult part to sustain as society degenerates. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is somehow sued (or has already been) for trying to maintain these things.

Interestingly enough, these values are a part of Traditions, the Walt Disney World orientation program. Integrity and respect are mentioned directly and Honesty and Character are implied throughout the prgram.

Fido

I have to agree with everyone that the 'feeling' you get at Disney is unlike anywhere else. I always told people that had never been to WDW that it is really unique...the workers aren't rude to you. From my earliest memories it was that way, and it makde the place special. I'm not saying that it is like that 24/7 every day of the year, but you can tell that the CMs are really trying to make you have a good time. In contrast, I went to Universal and the workers there were running up and yelling at kids to get off the rocks when a show was about to start. Reminded me of disgruntled mall cop.:lol:

dreamer

Original Poster
I'm going to take the liberty of summarizing the comments into what I see as four categories. Feel free to comment -- there may be better names for these categories.

THE ESSENCE OF DISNEY MAGIC

1. DEVOTION. Commitment to achieving the following three ideals without compromise to the best of their ability.

2. THEMING. Transporting guests away from the real world to an imaginary world. ("escape," "immersion," "dream come true")

3. RELATIONSHIPS. Fostering relationships between CM's and guests, and between guests themselves. ("family," "unity," "peace," "honesty, integrity, character,respect")

4. HISTORY. Commitment to building on the realization of WD's vision and the vision/imagination of the "imagineers" who worked with him and since he died. This has allowed the magic to continue and grow and provides the nostalgia that is so important. ("nostalgia," "memories," "inspiration")

My criterion for "essence" would be the things that must be maintained or Disney would cease to exist as we know it. I think all of the above qualify. I don't see the ABC network on the list.

?????

GenerationX

Interesting thread, dreamer! I think your breakdown (Devotion, Theming, Relationship, and History) is excellent.

From a personal standpoint, the first things that come to my mind are similar to Angelique and Dizknee_Phreek's posts earlier in this thread: WDW is a kid friendly place in a decidedly non-kid friendly world.

Nansafan

There are people who get it and people who just don't. Those are the people who say, "you're going to Disney again?" My son is 15. If you ask him where he wants to go on vacation, the answer is always the same, Disney. To quote my brother as he first steps into the Magic Kingdom, "I'm Home!" That's what the Essence of Disney Magic, Home. It's the feeling you have as you watch the video from your last trip as you plan your next. It's a state of mind. We play a game as we count the days until our next trip (12/26/02-12/31/02). We ask each other "where would you be?" We then say where we'd be at that moment if we were at Disney.

dreamer

Original Poster
Originally posted by GenerationX
Interesting thread, dreamer! I think your breakdown (Devotion, Theming, Relationship, and History) is excellent.

Thanks. If you read the whole thread you can see that none of the ideas were mine. A lot of these things I wouldn't have come up with on my own. I'm just trying to put them together and make sense. I 've never quite understood why Disney has been so successful at creating such an incredible atmosphere when others have tried and failed.

I wonder if "kid-orientation" should be a separate category. As I recall, Walt's goal was not so much to create a place that's kid-oriented as a place that both kids and their parents can BOTH have a great time together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom