the drive from memphis

maryszhi

hey guys my friends and i are thinking of going to disney for fall break from our university that is located in memphis. my question is with two drivers, is it possible to do in one day? what are some good break/stopping points for the bathroom and food/gasoline?
thanks!

crispy

We can drive from Nashville to Orlando in around 11 hours so I think a a day trip from Memphis with two drivers is completely doable. We usaally stop in Dalton, GA, and in south Georgia (can't remember the name of the town, but they have a nice Flying J gas station) with one more stop usually thrown in at a rest stop.

Upvote 0

Raven66

hey guys my friends and i are thinking of going to disney for fall break from our university that is located in memphis. my question is with two drivers, is it possible to do in one day? what are some good break/stopping points for the bathroom and food/gasoline?
thanks!

We live about an 1.5 hrs from Memphis. We will be driving from where we live in June. It's going to take about 14 hrs. And since I don't really drive when we travel, my husband will be doing the bulk of the driving. So if he can do it by himself, 2 people can definately do it. Have fun!!

Upvote 0

maryszhi

Original Poster
thanks guys! this is my first "road trip to disney" i am super excited. i am from chicago area and know people who do it so doing it from memphis should be easier :)

Upvote 0

worldtraveler

I've made the trip from just south of St. Louis and it is definitely doable. We generally leave during the middle of the night, so there are not that many stops to me made for us. I enjoy stopping at the Waffle House in Ocala, i believe that is the one, but it is just a nice place to gather my thoughts and plans before making the final drive into Disney.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

My very first trip to WDW we drove down straight without stopping overnight. It was 8 of us, 4 kids and 4 adults and my Dad and Uncle took turns driving. We are from NJ and it took us 19 hours just stopping for gas, food and bathroom breaks. Since you are coming from Memphis, I think it is very possible with two drivers!

Upvote 0

B Shull

thanks!

I live in the Memphis area and have made the drive to Disney World over 10 times. I drive down 78 highway to Birmingham,interstate 20 to
Atlanta, interstate 75 to the Florida turnpike toll road into Orlando and follow the signs. It is 825 miles from our drive way to the All Stars Resort. The last trip took 12 hrs 45 minutes. I drive the whole trip. We only stop for pottie brakes and gas. I owned a conversion van so we had access to food and while driving. Drive with 4 adults and one 4 year old. For 2 people it is cheeper for me to fly. I have a trip coming up in October and we are flying. Got Delta tickets for 2 for $466.00 total round trip out of Memphis. With fuel cost what it is and a vehicle that gets 15 miles to the gallon it cast me over $400.00 to drive.
I will pay a little more to be there in 2 hours instead of 13 to 16 depending on how many stops you make.
Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

Original Poster
I live in the Memphis area and have made the drive to Disney World over 10 times. I drive down 78 highway to Birmingham,interstate 20 to
Atlanta, interstate 75 to the Florida turnpike toll road into Orlando and follow the signs. It is 825 miles from our drive way to the All Stars Resort. The last trip took 12 hrs 45 minutes. I drive the whole trip. We only stop for pottie brakes and gas. I owned a conversion van so we had access to food and while driving. Drive with 4 adults and one 4 year old. For 2 people it is cheeper for me to fly. I have a trip coming up in October and we are flying. Got Delta tickets for 2 for $466.00 total round trip out of Memphis. With fuel cost what it is and a vehicle that gets 15 miles to the gallon it cast me over $400.00 to drive.
I will pay a little more to be there in 2 hours instead of 13 to 16 depending on how many stops you make.
Have a great trip.
thank you :)

Upvote 0
Im driving from louisville,ky on the 27th of this month it will be a 12 or 13 hr drive to orlando one way . So if i can do it you can do it from memphis. I decided to leave around 8 or 9 at night and arrive the next morning to enter a park.

Upvote 0

Lucky

thanks guys! this is my first "road trip to disney" i am super excited. i am from chicago area and know people who do it so doing it from memphis should be easier :)
You must go to Rhodes - there's no other college in Memphis worth moving from Chicago for. (I grew up in Memphis and went to the U of M.)

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

You should have no problem with two drivers, as has been mentioned before it should be about 14 hour drive or a little less. A issue that could cause a slow down is what time you go through the bigger cities on the drive. If you hit Atlanta at rush hour, its going to take longer to get around the area than if you come though at midnight. If you come via the Atlanta area plan on it taking about 6 hours from Memphis, but remember that Atlanta is in Eastern time vs Memphis being in Central time. Good luck and have fun.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

Original Poster
You should have no problem with two drivers, as has been mentioned before it should be about 14 hour drive or a little less. A issue that could cause a slow down is what time you go through the bigger cities on the drive. If you hit Atlanta at rush hour, its going to take longer to get around the area than if you come though at midnight. If you come via the Atlanta area plan on it taking about 6 hours from Memphis, but remember that Atlanta is in Eastern time vs Memphis being in Central time. Good luck and have fun.
we were fixing on if we go, we leave at 4.30 am :) is that good :)

Upvote 0

crosswagon

We are in Jonesboro,AR and it usually takes us 14hr with stops. We go Birmingham, Montgomery, 10 to 75.

We live 1 hour south of Nashville and we do the exact same route. One year we tried the route where at Birmingham you take 20 to Georgia but didn't like that drive so we have stayed with the Birmingham, Montgomery, 10 to 75 for all our other trips. It takes us about 10 to 11 hours with stops and of course you loose an hour with the time change.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom