The dreaded family of 5 at Disney

Takeitforgranite

My wife and I went to WDW over 10 times together before our family suddenly grew by 3. We would always stay at Value resorts because doing so meant being able to go more often.

Now there mare 5 of us, and that essentially means the price of the resort stay doubles. At 5, you either have to get a Value suite or move up to moderate. It’s pretty frustrating.
I’ve looked into renting DVC points, but I’m a bit nervous about having no cancellation and paying up front.

I can’t help but want to look at off site resorts, but I’m afraid to even broach the subject with my wife. We both love the immersive experience, but it may be time to consider it. That 5th person is really expensive.

Right now, we are going to shoot for buying annual passes next summer and have a long trips on each end…and hopefully a couple shorter ones in the middle. That would be a better value overall, as far as park passes. We just have to figure out something resort-wise (or hotel).

Any suggestions from those who have been there are appreciated.

aliceismad

You can get yourself a nice room/suite for far less than what you would pay to stay @ Disney.
You can also rent an entire home with its own private pool, which might be the most economical way for larger families to do Disney.

That said, my hubby wanted to rent a house and I said no thanks even though it was cheaper.

Upvote 0

ELG13

My wife and I went to WDW over 10 times together before our family suddenly grew by 3. We would always stay at Value resorts because doing so meant being able to go more often.

Now there mare 5 of us, and that essentially means the price of the resort stay doubles. At 5, you either have to get a Value suite or move up to moderate. It’s pretty frustrating.
I’ve looked into renting DVC points, but I’m a bit nervous about having no cancellation and paying up front.

I can’t help but want to look at off site resorts, but I’m afraid to even broach the subject with my wife. We both love the immersive experience, but it may be time to consider it. That 5th person is really expensive.

Right now, we are going to shoot for buying annual passes next summer and have a long trips on each end…and hopefully a couple shorter ones in the middle. That would be a better value overall, as far as park passes. We just have to figure out something resort-wise (or hotel).

Any suggestions from those who have been there are appreciated.
We have a family of 5 and travel with 6 (my mom always comes). We always stay at the cabins at for wilderness for our long trips. The rack rate can be a bit pricey but they usually do decent AP/ florida resident discounts. We also save a decent amount just with the discount from our AP. One of the all star resorts also have a little suite. It's just two rooms opened up with a small kitchenette and a pull out sofa. I think it's all star music. I know it's not open yet but we considered it once. For shorter trips we have only travelled as a family of 4 (my mom kept the baby so we could do a quick 2 day trip). We recently bought a popup camper so now we can do cheap short trips at the campgrounds. Have you looked into renting an RV or travel trailer at fort wilderness? Not sure what the prices are on that but it may be a decent option depending on the hook up you get. The short trips are what get us kind of on the ropes because, like you, after all is said and done, ita not cheap to rent two rooms, but it's also not cheap to rent a moderate that would sleep everyone. We have considered boff site as well but we never pull the trigger. After all the resort fees for local hotels, or cleaning fees and security deposits for AIRBNBs it just isn't worth it to us. The savings aren't really that great.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom