The Downtown Disney Thread

Stevek

I don't mean to seem negative, as the arts center sounds neat, but it's a very esoteric use of space in a mall that's needful of draws for the general public.
Not sure if it needs draws, DTD has been very busy. I think it needs the extra dining capacity though.

waltography

I don't mean to seem negative, as the arts center sounds neat, but it's a very esoteric use of space in a mall that's needful of draws for the general public.
With Rainforest, AMC, and ESPN are all gone it appears like either they're expecting the back half of DTD to be dramatically changed soon or they don't know what to do with the space. Whatever Ken Potrock said in that podcast a little while back is likely addressing the fact that DTD is at a crossroads right now and they're in the process of redesigning it.

SevenSevens

With Rainforest, AMC, and ESPN are all gone it appears like either they're expecting the back half of DTD to be dramatically changed soon or they don't know what to do with the space. Whatever Ken Potrock said in that podcast a little while back is likely addressing the fact that DTD is at a crossroads right now and they're in the process of redesigning it.

Yeah, it will be part of whatever form Disney Forward eventually takes. Not worth putting any significant investment into repurposing them when they're likely to be torn down to make way for something else in the next few years. If it wasn't for covid, you'd think they might be able to easily reopen the AMC. Rainforest would likely need major work to reopen the restaurant, so the giftshop Start Wars redo is probably the best we can hope for.

Stevek

Interesting; I have to wonder what people see in the place.
I think it's a couple things
  1. Parks are open so more folks are visiting during or after park visits
  2. People still want a touch of Disney
  3. People want to get out and this give them a sense of normalcy
We went on Saturday because my wife likes the over priced but enjoyable food at Tortilla Joe's. We also wanted to do some Disney shopping for both an upcoming Disneyland and WDW visit.

D.Silentu

I appreciate the insight. My visits all correspond to your first point, so I only spend limited time at Downtown Disney. From general observation it seems like the unique options such as The Void, Rainforest Cafe, etc., are shrinking. Personally I find it hard to justify the Disney level prices for the options they have now and am glad to hear that change is in the cards.

CaptinEO

It's not only embarrassing, it's pathetic. And the empty building isn't good either.

It's an abandoned 20 year old ESPNZone that's been closed for 3 years. They slathered it in clip art from the latest TV shows and crap on Disney+. Then a guy who actually earns a living as a Senior Synergy Manager in an Orlando cubicle farm pukes up some word pablum for a corporate blog hardly anyone reads about how awesome the clip art looks on the abandoned building he's never actually seen because it's 2,500 miles from his Florida cubicle. And he barely makes it across Celebration Place to Applebee's or Five Guys.

This is what the Walt Disney Company has reduced itself to. And it's pathetic.
I mean Disney has gone full meta at this point. They are advertising their advertisements.

Are we supposed to jump up and celebrate these ads being put up on a building?

It's like this person was sad they don't get recognition so felt the need to post about the AWESOME THINGS he does!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It's not only embarrassing, it's pathetic. And the empty building isn't good either.

It's an abandoned 20 year old ESPNZone that's been closed for 3 years. They slathered it in clip art from the latest TV shows and crap on Disney+. Then a guy who actually earns a living as a Senior Synergy Manager in an Orlando cubicle farm pukes up some word pablum for a corporate blog hardly anyone reads about how awesome the clip art looks on the abandoned building he's never actually seen because it's 2,500 miles from his Florida cubicle. And he barely makes it across Celebration Place to Applebee's or Five Guys.

This is what the Walt Disney Company has reduced itself to. And it's pathetic.
Why does he barley make it to Applebee's? Applebee's is awesome. They got this fried onion thing that will change your life.

TP2000

Why does he barley make it to Applebee's? Applebee's is awesome. They got this fried onion thing that will change your life.

Because Applebee's is a long walk for Celebration Place employees like him. It takes at least 5 minutes to walk over there. That's hard.

I haven't eaten at an Applebee's since the early Clinton years. Maybe '94? I used to like a croissant sandwich they had back then. It's kind of nice to think they are still around.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Because Applebee's is a long walk for Celebration Place employees like him. It takes at least 5 minutes to walk over there. That's hard.

I haven't eaten at an Applebee's since the early Clinton years. Maybe '94? I used to like a croissant sandwich they had back then. It's kind of nice to think they are still around.
He can't walk 5minutes???

TP2000

He can't walk 5minutes???

He can. But sometimes they drive. And he certainly isn't going to fly out to Anaheim to write this story.

The point is... most of this crap written on the Disney Parks Blog is written from 2,500 miles away, based solely on a few pics. It's all just corporate propaganda and mindless shilling.

Look! Clip art on an abandoned building in a dying mall! It's Magical! You are immersed! 🧐

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

He can. But sometimes they drive. And he certainly isn't going to fly out to Anaheim to write this story.

The point is... most of this crap written on the Disney Parks Blog is written from 2,500 miles away, based solely on a few pics. It's all just corporate propaganda and mindless shilling.

Look! Clip art on an abandoned building in a dying mall! It's Magical! You are immersed! 🧐
Me to Disney:
1620964502525.png

jmuboy

Mini update: So apparently after the Mickey Mouse pop-up ended, Disney Performing Arts moved in and converted the space into the studios they use for arts outreach. Honestly not the worst thing to happen to the building, and the inside looks quite nice still from the pop-up.

Of course, they've all since been laid off sadly, but at least the building was put to some use prior to the pandemic, and hopefully as we get back to normal they can return to using the building (until they find a better use for it).

When will this become a Morimotto Asia - west coast edition? Perfect fit for the space!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom