The Downtown Disney Thread

TP2000

Speaking of food down the road - if I were to have dinner or grab food somewhere on my first night / arrival day / not park day… any recommendations at Downtown Disney or walking distance off-property?

As a seasonal San Diegan who was an accidental early adopter of The Great Maple over 15+ years ago when they first opened in Hillcrest, I would recommend The Great Maple outpost at the Pixar Place Hotel.

Back then I was already far too old to crash into The Great Maple after a bar crawl night in Hillcrest, but at least I was with it enough to show up for Sunday brunch with friends. And we loved it instantly.

It's hip. It's fresh. It's SoCal. It's casual. The menu has something for everyone. The cocktails are great. Etc., etc.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Don't know if this is the correct thread, but it is where you see this from.

IMG_20240524_191135865.jpg

I noticed Friday that there was scaffolding up around the IJA show building. Looks like they are taking down or replacing the green siding. Maybe due to sun damage?

PiratesMansion

Speaking of food down the road - if I were to have dinner or grab food somewhere on my first night / arrival day / not park day… any recommendations at Downtown Disney or walking distance off-property?
GCH Craftsman at the Grand Californian (technically two restaurants-Bar is sitdown, Grill is quick service-that both serve the same menu). We split some entrees and everything was delicious!

waltography

GCH Craftsman at the Grand Californian (technically two restaurants-Bar is sitdown, Grill is quick service-that both serve the same menu). We split some entrees and everything was delicious!
They had pork dan dan noodles during Lunar New Year that I miss every day - Craftsman Grill is an oasis from DCA, great portions and decently priced for being on property.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Depends if you're looking for a Disney experience or good food. :D And budget, of course.

If you like character meals, then Goofy's Kitchen or Storytellers Cafe are fun options. I actually enjoy the food at both, but my tastes lean to familiar comfort food rather than more adventurous fare.

Can also strongly recommend Beignets Expressed or Black Tap's Crazyshake window for always enjoyable desserts!

Disney Analyst

Depends if you're looking for a Disney experience or good food. :D And budget, of course.

If you like character meals, then Goofy's Kitchen or Storytellers Cafe are fun options. I actually enjoy the food at both, but my tastes lean to familiar comfort food rather than more adventurous fare.

Can also strongly recommend Beignets Expressed or Black Tap's Crazyshake window for always enjoyable desserts!

I am down for anything! Whatever is delicious 😍

mickEblu

Puesto at the Westin is a good option within walking distance. Nice ambiance, Great filet mignon tacos and margaritas. If you are willing to do a short uber ride there is also Sababa Falafel shop (get the rib eye fatteh) or Fuoco Pizzeria for some delicious authentic Neapolitan style pizza.

TP2000

How weird is it that me, TP2000, is considering driving up to Anaheim later this summer from my beach stay just to have dinner with friends at Din Tai Fung but NOT go to Disneyland? That sounds weird, doesn't it?

I can't get any of my family interested in a Disneyland visit. They're just over it, and uninterested in whatever it is Disneyland is shilling and peddling this summer. Pixar Fest? Dragonless Fantasmic? They voted no on Disneyland when we discussed this summer's plans on Mother's Day weekend.

But I did get a text message about coming up to OC this summer to join some friends at Din Tai Fung at DTD. And I am looking forward to that. I remember how cool Benihana of Tokyo was in the 70's, as an obviously corporate but very unique and almost cultural dining experience. Din Tai Fung seems like the 21st century version of that. I'm glad DTD has elevated themselves with at least one restaurant like Din Tai Fung.

truecoat

How weird is it that me, TP2000, is considering driving up to Anaheim later this summer from my beach stay just to have dinner with friends at Din Tai Fung but NOT go to Disneyland? That sounds weird, doesn't it?

I can't get any of my family interested in a Disneyland visit. They're just over it, and uninterested in whatever it is Disneyland is shilling and peddling this summer. Pixar Fest? Dragonless Fantasmic? They voted no on Disneyland when we discussed this summer's plans on Mother's Day weekend.

But I did get a text message about coming up to OC this summer to join some friends at Din Tai Fung at DTD. And I am looking forward to that. I remember how cool Benihana of Tokyo was in the 70's, as an obviously corporate but very unique and almost cultural dining experience. Din Tai Fung seems like the 21st century version of that. I'm glad DTD has elevated themselves with at least one restaurant like Din Tai Fung.

I'm looking forward to going here on my next visit.

mickEblu

As a seasonal San Diegan who was an accidental early adopter of The Great Maple over 15+ years ago when they first opened in Hillcrest, I would recommend The Great Maple outpost at the Pixar Place Hotel.

Back then I was already far too old to crash into The Great Maple after a bar crawl night in Hillcrest, but at least I was with it enough to show up for Sunday brunch with friends. And we loved it instantly.

It's hip. It's fresh. It's SoCal. It's casual. The menu has something for everyone. The cocktails are great. Etc., etc.

I’ve been the Pixar Place location twice, food is pretty good! But the service has left a bit to be desired. They seem understaffed or something. Last time we were there we had to wait 25 min for water. They ran out of water glasses. And now I learned that Apple still hasn’t made an embarrassed/ sarcastic emoji face.

Last edited:

mickEblu

View attachment 788628

More photos at link above.

Looks nice but I can’t tell where it’s located. I haven’t been on that side of DTD in a while. Would this be the entrance for people coming from the Simba lot? If so, makes you wonder why they’d put the entrance there if the Simba lot will eventually be theme park space and not DTD parking. I actually haven’t thought this through. What is the end game for DTD parking in X years when all the other lots are used up for other things?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Looks nice but I can’t tell where it’s located. I haven’t been on that side of DTD in a while. Would this be the entrance for people coming from the Simba lot? If so, makes you wonder why they’d put the entrance there if the Simba lot will eventually be theme park space and not DTD parking. I actually haven’t thought this through. What is the end game for DTD parking in X years when all the other lots are used up for other things?
Its located next what is currently the DTD parking lot next to the PPH off of Paradise Way and will replace the existing DTD security next to the DLH which will be turned into exclusive DLH security.

DTDSecurity.png

As for what they will do once Simba Lot is turned into theme park space, my guess is it will have a separate security entrance. That is if they don't turn the whole area into a big security bubble, which I still think is possible.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Looks like the entrance to my high school football field.
View attachment 788632

Its actually suppose to be reminiscent of the old studio lot where the buildings were adorned with the same lettering on the outside -

Photo572303.jpg

Its the whole theme of the area, to evoke a sense of an artist/animator. So it makes sense why they used the same lettering used to adorn the entrances to the buildings in the old lot.

PiratesMansion

Its actually suppose to be reminiscent of the old studio lot where the buildings were adorned with the same lettering on the outside -

Photo572303.jpg

Its the whole theme of the area, to evoke a sense of an artist/animator. So it makes sense why they used the same lettering used to adorn the entrances to the buildings in the old lot.
Or somebody just went to Cedar Point. Put the signage of the first photo together with the restroom picture, and that's basically what they built at Downtown Disney:

20210726_210341.jpg
20230626_0848441.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom