The downfall of Hollywood studios

Beholder

Yep, Alpha Flight is part of the X-Men family because they got started in X-Men books.

The Avengers were standalone books (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk) that were merged into a team.

The Guardians were....their own completely separate book that spawned partly due to the popularity of 1960s science fiction.
Here's the original GotG as they appeared in 1969. Only one of them appears in the movie...you can probably guess which one. :p
GOTG-1969-18.jpg

Still strange thinking of the Punisher as part of Spider-Mans family. I tend to think of him separate, same world obviously, but just my way of looking at things.

Matt_Black

Yep, Alpha Flight is part of the X-Men family because they got started in X-Men books.

The Avengers were standalone books (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk) that were merged into a team.

The Guardians were....their own completely separate book that spawned partly due to the popularity of 1960s science fiction.
Here's the original GotG as they appeared in 1969. Only one of them appears in the movie...you can probably guess which one. :p
GOTG-1969-18.jpg

Erm... The current incarnation of the Guardians have featured several former Avengers as members, most notably Moondragon and Quasar.

Matt_Black

Still strange thinking of the Punisher as part of Spider-Mans family. I tend to think of him separate, same world obviously, but just my way of looking at things.

He got his start in Spider-Man, but so did Blade, and I don't really consider either of those characters as Spider-Man characters anymore.

Matt_Black

They've even been referred to as "tomorrow's Avengers"

Which doesn't make ANY sense, as the current incarnation is in the same time period as the Avengers.

Granted, there's a lot of Marvel that doesn't make any sense, though on the whole they're much, MUCH better than DC (Donna Troy, looking at YOU).

Beholder

Which doesn't make ANY sense, as the current incarnation is in the same time period as the Avengers.

Granted, there's a lot of Marvel that doesn't make any sense, though on the whole they're much, MUCH better than DC (Donna Troy, looking at YOU).

I've gave up along time ago trying to make sense of Marvels continuity. Of course I'm very old school, I'm a John Byrne/Chris Claremont Uncanny guy myself. Love the Silvestri/Romita years, but once the whole Jim Lee era began, I was out. Funny you mention DC, it was the New 52 that sort of sucked me back in.

DaveN1996

Agreed with the half day park thoughts....

Build up star wars land around star tours area or turn the area into a Lucas land, replacing the aged indy stunt show with an indy ride, make Pixar Place just that, a large Pixar area with more than a slight Toy Story area (with a cars meet and greet currently tossed in), and over in the animation area maybe expand Disney Jr to more than just the stage show (hey, I still have little ones ok.....)

We go back next march and are already considering dropping this park in favor of a day at Universal thanks to the oldest (8) beginning the Harry Potter phase

Matt_Black

I've gave up along time ago trying to make sense of Marvels continuity. Of course I'm very old school, I'm a John Byrne/Chris Claremont Uncanny guy myself. Love the Silvestri/Romita years, but once the whole Jim Lee era began, I was out. Funny you mention DC, it was the New 52 that sort of sucked me back in.

Ironically, it was the new 52 that made me throw my hands up and say, "NOPE! I'm out."

Minnesota disney fan

I don't understand all the negativity towards Hollywood Studios. What am I missing???? I like the atmosphere as soon as you step into it. I've seen the main street actors several times, and they are amazing. I kinda like the quirky way the park is situated. Always something unexpected around the corner. The thrill rides are great, and love the tower of terror, and never miss several rides on toy story mainia. Still can't beat my husband though. The Osborne lights are spectacular, going to fantasmic for the first time in November:), and haven't seen Beauty and Beast yet, but will do this. We also like the SciFi Dinner theatre. It's a nice break to sit in the cars and watch old sci fi movies and relax for a while with a great milkshake:) Muppets are a hoot. Love star tours, though I'm always the alien!!!! So, I guess I don't understand the negative comments about hs.

wdwvacationdad

Agreed. Once Claremont left, I was out. His run was the gold age of Uncanny. Of course, I thought his return to Uncanny years later was terrible.

New 52 looks interesting, but I don't trust DC with their properties (cue: Another infinite crisis)

But staying on subject.... I hope Disney is finally putting a plan to DHS. A Pixar/Star Wars theme would be incredibly awesome (even if it take 30 years to build). The studios aspect never really clicked for me. The Backlot and GMR took up so much space, but delivered so little that was unique (it wasn't much different than the Universal LA)...

dadddio

Good news! Donna Troy never existed.

Beholder

Agreed. Once Claremont left, I was out. His run was the gold age of Uncanny. Of course, I thought his return to Uncanny years later was terrible.

New 52 looks interesting, but I don't trust DC with their properties (cue: Another infinite crisis)

But staying on subject.... I hope Disney is finally putting a plan to DHS. A Pixar/Star Wars theme would be incredibly awesome (even if it take 30 years to build). The studios aspect never really clicked for me. The Backlot and GMR took up so much space, but delivered so little that was unique (it wasn't much different than the Universal LA)...

One of my most prized possessions is an autographed copy of Uncanny X-Men 140 signed by John Byrne and Claremont. I think the crazy Earth 2 and all the different universes is actually part of the fun for me. I was never a DC guy until Frank Miller came along, so all this pre-crisis stuff is kind of new to me in a way.

Why Star Wars wasn't fast tracked, I'll never know, but I'm glad it's (supposedly) coming. Please let them make it epic. I want world class attractions with quality, collector grade merchandise along with the usual stuff. Pixar has such a varied library to choose from, I wish we'd get something unique to Orlando, but honestly, that's a small issue at this point.

Beholder

Before we know it, everything will be crazily convoluted again and they will have yet another crisis or whatever and reboot the universe yet again.

Sort of like both Marvel and DC to take a prominent character, kill them off, and then, surprisingly, bring them back! It destroys the entire notion of death. Supergirl lasted awhile. Superman, Robin, Captain America, Phoenix, now Wolverine. It's such baseless manipulation.

victoria99999

I don't even visit that park right now. I'm trying to show Disney what haystack nding my money elsewhere. I suggest those of you that really want to see a change do the same.

Skip DHS. Force Disney to spend money to actually wow us again with a deserving full day park.
I respect that your doing that but honestly there are billions of people that go and you my friend are a needle in the haystack. Id write them your concerns.

Matt_Black

Sort of like both Marvel and DC to take a prominent character, kill them off, and then, surprisingly, bring them back! It destroys the entire notion of death. Supergirl lasted awhile. Superman, Robin, Captain America, Phoenix, now Wolverine. It's such baseless manipulation.

Well, Marvel is a little better at that than DC. Kraven and Jocasta both come to mind.

Bluewaves

I still vote with my money when it comes to corporations, it may be but a drop in the ocean, but its my drop and I'll spend it where I want to, if more an more people feel the same, spend money at Uni, etc... things will have to change, it may take time, but unless you are constantly improving you are declining, just the nature of the game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom