The Disney Store

loveofamouse

Original Poster
For a while, Children's place owned the Disney store. (I worked for TCP) When Disney store bought themselves back, they closed alot of locations. ALOT of locations. In Jacksonville, we had 3 stores. Now, there's just 1. Where I am now, N. VA, there isn't one for a good 45miles. I ended up making my dd mouse ears for Halloween:ROFLOL:. Who else lost Disney stores? I wonder how many areas completely lost Disney stores and have none? That's what happened here. The mall that's 20min away, a big well populated mall, lost theirs so now there isn't one anywhere for this population.

When we go to Disney, I used to go to TDS and buy shirts and whatnot prior to our trip. That's going to be really difficult now.

Phonedave

I have 2 or 3 that are within 15 minutes of my house. Of course there is also the new one in Times Square that is about 20 minutes away

I was just in the Outlet Disney Store this Saturday - thats about an hour away.

We have not lost any - but did have a lot of refurbs

-dave

raven

The stores were actually owned by Hoop Retail not The Childrens Place, which was actually run under Hoop. In 2007 Hoop filed Chapter 11 for the Disney side of the company but somehow were able to keep The Children's Place. If you ask me it sounded like a cop out to get out of their contract.

I worked or TDS during both times and was around when Disney baught them back. A month after we got the news that we were going to be Disney employees once again, they smacked us in the face telling us they are shutting down the store. That's when I packed up and moved to WDW.

At one time there used to be 8 or more Disney Stores in the Detroit area. Now there is one plus a Disney Outlet store. :(

loveofamouse

Original Poster
The stores were actually owned by Hoop Retail not The Childrens Place, which was actually run under Hoop. In 2007 Hoop filed Chapter 11 for the Disney side of the company but somehow were able to keep The Children's Place. If you ask me it sounded like a cop out to get out of their contract.

I worked or TDS during both times and was around when Disney baught them back. A month after we got the news that we were going to be Disney employees once again, they smacked us in the face telling us they are shutting down the store. That's when I packed up and moved to WDW.

At one time there used to be 8 or more Disney Stores in the Detroit area. Now there is one plus a Disney Outlet store. :(

In our area, the TCP employees were just told that, part of the original contract to buy out TDS, TDS could buy themselves back from TCP if they came up with X amount of dollars. So, TCP employees were getting the 30% discount at both locations (loved that!) One day, we were told TDS bought themselves back and we would no longer get that discount. We were also told that, although TDS bought themselves back, they could only stay in business by closing a bunch of stores across the nation. In Jax, we lost 2 of them. Then I noticed things going downhill with TCP i.e. lack of hours across the board, low sales, discount was lowered to 25% etc. It got to the point that half of our store was Per Diem. Unfortunately for me, I volunteered for per diem since my dh deployed and couldnt get out of per diem. When we moved here, I just let the employment expire since the closest TCP is over 30min away.

mickeysshoes

For a while, Children's place owned the Disney store. (I worked for TCP) When Disney store bought themselves back, they closed alot of locations. ALOT of locations. In Jacksonville, we had 3 stores. Now, there's just 1. Where I am now, N. VA, there isn't one for a good 45miles. I ended up making my dd mouse ears for Halloween:ROFLOL:. Who else lost Disney stores? I wonder how many areas completely lost Disney stores and have none? That's what happened here. The mall that's 20min away, a big well populated mall, lost theirs so now there isn't one anywhere for this population.

When we go to Disney, I used to go to TDS and buy shirts and whatnot prior to our trip. That's going to be really difficult now.

Hello fellow NO VA!!!! I am in Woodbridge and almost cryied when all our stores closed and the crappy one we have now at the mall is just that crappy!!!! Dont know what the one in Tysons is like...have not been there in ages!!!!

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Im in King George :) I went looking for one for Halloween for some Minnie ears. I dropped my jaw when they said the closest was up near Potomac Mills. What!?

fosse76

Does it matter? It was a legal decision, and one a judge felt compelled to grant. Not knowing the specific situation in this case, but it is common for companies owned by other companies to file for bankruptcy protection while the parent and sister companies are profitable. And let's say it was one company that simply managed the stores under different names: a judge is going to grant a request to offload the debt associated with running certain stores. Bankruptcy protection can be a business decision; that doesn't make it a cop-out.

At least you got paid. I worked for one company that went bankrupt because the issuing bank refused to cash its payroll.

That seems rather excessive for Detroit, even Chicago only had one (I think there was one in the suburbs, too, but I'm not sure).

EaglesfanNJ

1) We had one about 5 minute drive from our house (Cherry Hill, NJ for those familiar... we're about 15 mins from Philadelphia) at one of the malls here. It closed for about a year recently, and just the other day re-opened in a new spot in the mall, bigger and better than ever. I must say, it's an experience in it's own and we were there for literally an hour. It's very interactive for the kids and my 2 year old had a blast. They have a large TV playing Disney clips and songs, and in front of the TV is a table with little chairs, crayons, and coloring books. They have a CM there to assist the kids and they all just sit around and color. There is another section devoted to girls where the CM hands the girl a "magic wand" and if she waves the wand in front of a mirror, whoever the princess is on that wand appears on the mirror, very cool. They have a section devoted to boys as well, where they can construct their own cars (CARS themed). They have a whole display of Vinylmation. For 2 minutes at one point, the store came to a standstill while every clapped and Tinkerbell appeared throughout the walls in the store.

2) There used to be one in New York City, it was huge, 3 floors, beautiful art work, but it closed down.

3) I'm about 1 hour from Atlantic City, they have a Disney Store Outlet there. Nowhere near as cool as the one i mentioned above, but you can get some good deals.

Pioneer Hall

Hoop retail was the company that Children's Place created for their Disney Store holding. TCP owned Hoop which was the entity that ran the stores. This is why when Hoop filed for bankruptcy it didn't affect the corporate entity of Children's place at all and they were able to continue business as usual.

mrtoad

None of the ones in my area have gone out of business, but they are not as nice as they used to be before being run by TCP. The stores used to have a lot more products such as art and a nice watch selection. Then TCP ran them and the merch. changed and even after TCP is no longer in the picture the merch. is still not as good as it once was. In a minor way it is a good thing as I don't bleed my wallet dry like I used to... :)

MissM

They're (possibly ironically) all over the place here in Tampa Bay. There is one in each of the two malls about 10 miles from my home (they're in different directions) and the new, fancy "Imagination Place" version at a third mall nearby as well. (International Plaza)

So we've got plenty in this area an hour and change from WDW.

216bruce

We have two in the suburbs of Cleveland. The one nearest me is "OK" if you want princess stuff, costumes, plush or toys. There is virtually nothing for adults. It used to be a Disney Gallery Store and the old one in downtown was a destination for us when we needed a fix. I really hope Disney gets back to the old style Disney store. The new ones ain't much. After seeing the photos from the grand opening of the NY store I'd kill for just a shadow of that one.

Chrononymous

Chicago had one great one...and there were at least 5 in the surrounding suburbs.

There is still one that I know of that is open...plus the Downtown Chicago store has been upgraded. Still haven't seen it yet, but I hope to this month.

Last time I shopped there (in the OakBrook store) I was impressed that there were some adult stuff again...especially happy to see Phineus and Ferb, and Muppet T-shirts for adults!

Nemo14

We used to have 2 in RI. The one at the Providence mall didn't stay long, but we still had one at Warwick mall up until the flood last year. The entire mall closed down, and even now, not everything is back. However when I called to see when the Disney Store was reopening, they told me that they were not coming back. Now our closest one is in Massachusetts. :(

The Incredible Schmulk

I have 2 or 3 that are within 15 minutes of my house. Of course there is also the new one in Times Square that is about 20 minutes away

I was just in the Outlet Disney Store this Saturday - thats about an hour away.

We have not lost any - but did have a lot of refurbs

-dave

I can only assume that we were at that very same outlet store you visited this weekend, except on Sunday. We even got a couple ornaments there we were eying on the Disney Parks Store website.

It was a productive trip for that alone.

And to the OP, I'm in the same area, relatively, and the same boat as Phonedave.

Mad Stitch

What a coincidence you bring this topic up. I was just at one of our malls yesterday that I haven't been to in awhile and realized that the Disney Store was gone and how they have begun to disappear.

We have two in the suburbs of Cleveland. The one nearest me is "OK" if you want princess stuff, costumes, plush or toys. There is virtually nothing for adults. It used to be a Disney Gallery Store and the old one in downtown was a destination for us when we needed a fix. I really hope Disney gets back to the old style Disney store. The new ones ain't much. After seeing the photos from the grand opening of the NY store I'd kill for just a shadow of that one.

Two? Great Northern and ...? I remember there being at least four on the west side of Cleveland, now I only know of the one. And like you said, the remaining one is nothing but children's clothing and toys. I miss the days when it was a double store with the Disney Store on one side and the Disney Gallery on the other.

Phonedave

I can only assume that we were at that very same outlet store you visited this weekend, except on Sunday. We even got a couple ornaments there we were eying on the Disney Parks Store website.

It was a productive trip for that alone.

And to the OP, I'm in the same area, relatively, and the same boat as Phonedave.

The outlets in NY - off Exit 16 on the Thruway ?

-dave

Phonedave

2) There used to be one in New York City, it was huge, 3 floors, beautiful art work, but it closed down. .

It's back. It opened 11/4

1540 Broadway - right in Times Square.

Disney Princess Castle with Magic Mirror

First ever CARS custom remote controlled car building experience

Disney Store theater

Blue glitter trail that leads people through the store while magical trees display Disney images

Store Opening Ceremony each morning.

Or, so says the brochure they sent me. I have not made it over there yet. Maybe this coming weekend I'll hit up the new Disney store and wander around Times Square a bit and do some early Christmas shopping.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom